Author Topic: Best 9MM Ammo for range.  (Read 11764 times)

Offline deigo

Best 9MM Ammo for range.
« on: January 13, 2013, 01:44:23 PM »
Hello all -

I have been trying out 9mm at the range for a while and just couldn't get past the greatness of the CZ.  I was lucky to find a Stainless 75B from BUDs, and it should be here by the end of the week.  I am relatively new to the 9mm world, have a range of 22 pistols / revolvers.  In 9mm I was wondering if I could get some recommendations of some good range ammo to feed through "him".  From what I can find online it seems I should be looking for a FMJ 115 grain ammo....so looking for feedback on clean burning / no misfire etc.   I do mostly range shooting for fun....thanks!

Offline painter

Re: Best 9MM Ammo for range.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 03:35:51 PM »
If you can find it Winchester white box is reported to function well in most CZ's.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Slimdog71

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 04:44:23 PM »
124gr will give less felt recoil
I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I know how to use every one of them !!
CZ 75b .40
CZ 75b SA .40 (With lots of CZ Custom work)
CZ 75b Matte with CGW magic
CZ 452 17hmr varmint
CZ 452 Ultra Lux
And a long list of non CZ'S

Offline painter

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 04:54:05 PM »
124gr will give less felt recoil
No doubt, but have you looked around for ammo since you started reloading?

Can't even find any 22 lr never mind 124 gr 9mm. :P

I'm glad I started when I did.

but not the ability.

Offline Slimdog71

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 06:03:10 PM »
If I wanted, I could go and get a case right now. I have two well stocked shops within a 10 min drive. Finding a standard AR-15 or AK-47 may pose a challenge unless I wanted an upper end $2,000+ gun. I'm glad I started reloading years ago, but I am on my last 1000 primers, I wonder what they will be like to find ??
I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I know how to use every one of them !!
CZ 75b .40
CZ 75b SA .40 (With lots of CZ Custom work)
CZ 75b Matte with CGW magic
CZ 452 17hmr varmint
CZ 452 Ultra Lux
And a long list of non CZ'S

Offline painter

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 06:38:47 PM »
If I wanted, I could go and get a case right now. I have two well stocked shops within a 10 min drive. Finding a standard AR-15 or AK-47 may pose a challenge unless I wanted an upper end $2,000+ gun. I'm glad I started reloading years ago, but I am on my last 1000 primers, I wonder what they will be like to find ??
There's very little ammo around here.

I bought some primers a few days after the panic started. The price had already gone up. Haven't been back to the shop to see what's left.

I usually buy my bullets from PV...they have no Berry's HBRN and no SP primers at all.

Good luck.

but not the ability.

Offline rayg

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 07:49:31 PM »
I bought 500 rds. of FMJ round nose from Freedom Munitions a while back. It is reloaded ammo. I got their "Blaster" ammo, effectively their rejects. I could not find any flaws. Out of 500 rounds I had a couple of failures to fire. I was happy with it. They currently have 500 rds. of regular ammo for $130, shipped. That's about the Walmart price for the cheapest Federal without the hassle of going to Walmart.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 09:14:18 AM »
I avoid Winchester White Box, bargain basement ammo with low quality control. Remington UMC bargain 115 or 124 grain ammo is usually pretty good stuff, as is CCI Blazer aluminum or brass case fodder. Have fun and welcome to the addiction! 8)

Offline RichB

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 09:58:57 AM »
Armordman's comment on Winchester White Box surprises me.  I'm not questioning his opinion as I've only been shooting for about 2 years and consider myself a novice.  I've read enough of his posts to know that he knows more than I'll ever know about guns and ammunition.  I've mostly shot WWB through my M&P.  I can't comment on accuracy, but I've never had a performance problem.  I've also put a couple of boxes through my receently acquired Shadow without a problem.  The range I shoot at is still selling American made 9 mm ammo for $20 a box so I've been saving my supply of WWB and am collecting my brass to start reloading in the near future.

Just my experience.

Rich
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 10:01:33 AM by RichB »
CZ 75 SP01 Shadow Custom
Sig 1911R 45 ACP
S&W M&P 9C Apex DCAEK
Beretta 87
SIG P238

Offline Sion

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 10:58:44 AM »
115gr is probably what you'll end up shooting the most unless you reload. Personally I prefer a heavier bullet like 124 or 147, 124gr being my favorite. 115gr is the most common though and that's what I usually end up with because 124gr and 147gr FMJ can be tough to come by.

I too find the comment about WWB to be surprising, Remington UMC would also fall under "bargain basement ammo". I don't find one to be better than the other, both brands have worked well for me and make good practice ammunition.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 01:17:23 PM »
It's simply what I've seen over the years - used to love it. Then I started finding issues with the stuff, and after I had an empty eject in pieces, causing damage to my glasses, I went to Winchester. They buried the problem and refused to help. I also had an issue with a primer from them, same story. The higher end Winchester ammo tends to be good, though. The Remington 115gr JHP bargain ammo is actually quite good for both target AND carry - even Evan Marshall of Stopping Power fame said it had a good track record.
I also avoind the steel cased Russian import pistol ammo, even though the issues I saw are PROBABLY fixed by now...Wolf 9mm ammo used to shoot sparks out the barrel, and occasional ejected empties would be trailing sparks. I think they were using rifle/pistol powder blends at the time.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 03:17:47 PM »
Although I prefer my own reloaded Match Ammunition, I do like the Federal Champion 115 grn 9mm.  It's quality has been consistently good and I see a lot of shooters at our range using it without issue.  Shoots very well in my full size TA90 and most any other 9mm I have.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline ZardozCZ

• Recently returned to shooting and loving it!
Best 9MM Ammo for range.
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 05:11:40 PM »
Heh, it's more about what you can find or afford these days....

Gander Mtn is selling Federal white box $40/100! At least they have inventory.

Wal Mart just announced it will be ending ammo sales, no new orders to replenish. Guy ahead of me bought all 5 boxes of Federal they'd just put on the shelf. Sheesh! I shouldn't have stopped in the lav first!

"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
Aboriginal Proverb

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 07:43:12 PM »
 re WIN white box of 100:   Before I started reloading, the WIN White Box of of "50" 115gr "target" loads were 100% reliable,  very accurate and my go-to ammo ($6 a box of 50+/- then). 
The WIN WB of 100 is NOT the same quality ammunition.  I see shooters using it without noticeable problems (and I scavenge the brass) , but I know several  shooters that won't trust it and have read a number of posts citing problems.
Just saying.

Offline Mastodon

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 08:20:42 PM »

Wal Mart just announced it will be ending ammo sales, no new orders to replenish. Guy ahead of me bought all 5 boxes of Federal they'd just put on the shelf. Sheesh! I shouldn't have stopped in the lav first!

:o What?  No more ammo at Wal-mart?!  This has to be a rumor.

Maybe just suspending ... ?
Chartered in 1845 by The Republic of Texas

anything