Author Topic: Why does anyone need an AR-15?  (Read 4757 times)

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
Why does anyone need an AR-15?
« on: January 26, 2013, 01:01:14 AM »

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Re: Why does anyone need an AR-15?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 01:56:09 AM »
I love that one. 8)

Offline rlavallee

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 02:01:38 AM »
While I do agree with that position, I also wonder if evading the question like that maybe does more harm than good, irregardless of it's correctness. Unfortunately people who ask why someone would need one usually are unwilling to listen to a reasonable answer, and if they are willing to listen to one they are very likely to disagree with it. For me, the reason is because the people need to be able to defend themselves from tyrannical government. I think that for all other purposes (other than recreation) a different kind of firearm is more effective. If someone is in favor of more government regulation they are unlikely to see the government as potentially being something that needs to be defended against. That means 2nd amendment supporters are faced with a choice of deflecting the question and being perceived as obtuse and intransigent or answering it and being perceived as paranoid and unpatriotic. The latter can be mitigated by better educating people; when the former stance is taken a line in the sand has been drawn. That strategy hasn't been working and is the primary reason people are so fed up with Washington these days, there's been too much "it's my way or the highway", on both sides of the aisle. Sure, that position may be the correct one but we do ourselves a disservice if we make it all about that. Sometimes you have to factor in what will better help us win.
Rick

CZ 75 B Polished Stainless 9mm w/ CGW Pro Pkg.
CZ 75 B .40 S&W

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 02:07:30 AM »
+1....1
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before .... AND what's coming after HIM !

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 02:51:26 AM »
supporters are faced with a choice of deflecting the question and being perceived as obtuse and intransigent or answering it and being perceived as paranoid and unpatriotic. The latter can be mitigated by better educating people; when the former stance is taken a line in the sand has been drawn. That strategy hasn't been working and is the primary reason people are so fed up with Washington these days, there's been too much "it's my way or the highway", on both sides of the aisle. Sure, that position may be the correct one but we do ourselves a disservice if we make it all about that. Sometimes you have to factor in what will better help us win.

In a college freshman debate your reasoning would win points.  Unfortunately, this isn't a "rational" discussion.  Who really wants to know why anyone wants an AR?  It's certainly not an old burn out politician.  The "discussion rhetoric" is just that.  It is extremely obvious that the real issue is the eventual elimination of all firearms.  What they are used for is irrelevant to the "decision-already-made" being handed down by officials who could care less what legal-legitimate gun owner-users do with their guns or what rights are violated in the process.     

papaairbear

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 10:20:44 AM »
+1     There is absolutely nothing rational in Feinstein's proposals. 

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 01:15:57 PM »
because many in the Government don't want me to have one......yet I do

+ they are a lot of fun to shoot!

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 01:39:27 PM »
I have an alternative answer I've used,
"Why do you NEED an assault rifle?"
"Why do you feel the need to control what I can and cannot have?"

Offline CheapShot

• As Texan as BBQ and Bullets
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 01:56:46 PM »
I have an alternative answer I've used,
"Why do you NEED an assault rifle?"
"Why do you feel the need to control what I can and cannot have?"

**whistle**
inappropriate use of the term "assault rifle"
penalty of -1
repeat assertion again
 ;)

Offline RPIcka

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 02:04:01 PM »
Where does it end? How does the saying go? Give an inch and they'll take a mile? Something like that. Do you really need an AR-15? Do you really need a semi-automatic rifle? Do you really need a semi-automatic handgun? It'll keep going.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 07:53:57 PM »
Where does it end? How does the saying go? Give an inch and they'll take a mile? Something like that. Do you really need an AR-15? Do you really need a semi-automatic rifle? Do you really need a semi-automatic handgun? It'll keep going.

Exactly!  Today Semi-Autos, tomorrow Revolvers, Lever-guns, Bolt-Actions,and Shotguns, on down the list.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 08:53:06 PM »
It might be a good time to stock up on Whisper one-pump 22 cal air rifles or equivalent.
Now we just have to figure out a 'feed mechanism" and a refillable  CO2 bottle adapter, but don't tell anybody; or  it'll be next on "THE LIST".

Offline JimThornTX

• It ain't easy being green.
    • Texas State Rifle Association
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 11:44:24 PM »
I need any rifle that the military and/or police and/or SWAT uses so that I may protect myself and my family from the possible threat of tyranny no matter where it comes from. Right now, that rifle is the AR/M4.
CZ 52
CZ 82
CZ 83 Satin Nickel
CZ 75 P-01 ODG
CZ 75 P-06
CZ 612 HD

Offline Franc

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 12:59:59 AM »
The term " assault " confuses me.
If I'm correct it started somewhere in Germany in WWII with the Sturmgewehr 44.
Which is translated in Englisch ...."assault-rifle"....
So when I attack it's an assault rifle and when I defend it has to have another name, correct ?!
What would have happened if the allies got there first and named there newest weapon "defend-rifle" ?
DR-10 or DR-15.
I wish....
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 01:05:46 AM by Franc »
Si vis pacem para bellum

CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow
Inland .30 M1
FN Trombone .22

Offline armed hiker

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 11:41:24 AM »
Franc
I could not agree more.

Just to be clear though the AR in AR-15 does not stand for Assault rifle, It stands for The Armalite corporation. The original supplier. This was their designation for all their rifles ( AR-5, AR-7 and AR-10).

Wording in the media does matter whether we like it or not so working to change is a good idea. I like this Change to defensive rifle.

anything