Author Topic: Fiocchi 7.62 Nagant or 7.63 Mauser in a CZ-52?  (Read 3530 times)

Tall-Pine

Fiocchi 7.62 Nagant or 7.63 Mauser in a CZ-52?
« on: October 21, 2005, 10:17:51 AM »
The CZ-52 I just purchased is in the mail. After the sale, the seller claimed he got only a few mis-feeds using the surplus ammo but NEVER got a jam-up using Fiocchi non-corrosive ammo. He didn't say what caliber. I checked at Fiocchi.com and unless I missed something, Fiocchi only sells the 7.62 Nagant and the 7.63 Mauser rounds. :eek

The rounds I know to use are the 7.62x25 Tokarev.

Would firing the Nagant or Mauser rounds cause any damage? I wanted some feedback before questioning the seller any further.

This forum is great. I am new to CZs, but you all have already educated me greatly. You all helped me sselect my future gun(s) of choice. I will own a 75B as soon as my FFL can find one NIB with the 15 rnd mags.

Offline skucera

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 10:07:36 PM »
As far as I know, Mosin Nagant pistols shoot a different cartridge, the 7.62 Nagant; it isn't compatible with the 7.63 Mauser (a.k.a. .30 Mauser) or the Sovient equivalent 7.62 x 25 Tokarev.  I don't think the Nagant rounds would even chamber in our CZ 52's.  The 7.63 Mauser and the 7.62 Tok are extremely similar and either can be used interchangably if they're of new manufacture.  The specs for both show 1400-1450 fps velocities... but that is just specs.

Now, that doesn't mean you should use 7.62 x 25 Tokarev in your prized old C96 Broomstick Mauser, especially Warsaw Pact surplus.  The broomstick guys have anecdotal evidence that says that this ammo can be just a little more powerful than the Mauser spec really intended.  That is doubly true of Warsaw Pact surplus ammo, which has become chemically unstable in storage and can underperform or overperform, sometimes in the same lot.  I had some Bulgarian surplus that could be very uneven, and sometimes with spectacular fireballs in a dark range alley.

Just to make sure the short answer isn't buried above, you should be just fine shooting either 7.63 Mauser or 7.62 x 25 Tokarev in your CZ 52.  Have fun.

Scott

Tall-Pine

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 08:08:21 AM »
Thanks Scott

Offline srebough

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 09:39:18 PM »
I've got a couple of CZ-52s and three Tokarevs, and have bought a lot of 7.62x25mm Tok, and have never seen any made by Fiocchi. I wonder if he wasn't thinking of S&B, who makes some of the best 7.62Tok ammo and confused it with Fiocchi?

Like Scott said Fiocchi makes the 7.62 Nagant which is a bizzare revolver round, which has the bullet enclosed in the brass case. They're an interesting designed revolver, in which the cylinder moves forward when shooting, and the extra long case seals the gap, between the barrel, and the cylinder. This prevents the loss of pressure revolvers suffer from, and makes it one of the few revolvers that can effectively use a silencer. However these are a rimmed revolver cartridge and no way will they work in a CZ-52.

Offline skucera

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 10:20:22 PM »
Really, I shot a box of Fiocchi 7.63 Mauser through my CZ 52 about four years ago.  It was on the "half price" table at a local gun shop, so I had to try it out.  It was just fine.

Scott

Tall-Pine

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 01:26:06 PM »
Well I received it and it looks great. I put 100 rounds of the Romanian surplus ammo (AIM Surplus) through it yesterday. It was fun. I was impressed at my the long distance accuracy on my first time with it.

Of the 100 rounds, I had 2 that stuck themselves (unfired) in the chamber. It didn't look like either bullet completely seated correctly as the slide did not go all the way forward like it should. It took more muscle than I thought it should to work the slide to eject them. The casings had "bite" markes in 1 or 2 places around the sides and especially on the the bottom edge (primer side). Any idea on what part of the action would do this and how I correct it?

The gun is totally stock, except the previous owner said he replaced the "spring" with a Wolf 16.5 lb spring.

Tall Pine

Offline skucera

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2005, 09:57:08 PM »
I haven't the foggiest idea what might deform the cartridge cases while feeding.  I haven't experienced that on my own gun.

Now, they've often gotten pretty beat up on the way out....

Scott