Author Topic: Truth about 40B and Colt Z40  (Read 77198 times)

Offline burningsquirrels

• www.gpsl.org
Re: Truth about 40B and Colt Z40
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2008, 12:51:54 AM »

http://imageseek.com/hakan/

hakan pek makes 'em in all different ways for any CZ. :)

Offline vinbytes

• Vinbytes - Your Web Expert
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 05:07:04 AM »
WOW! This is really nice. I have read your post and I have learned a lot. Cool post and Congrats.

Offline DJokr

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 06:24:32 PM »
Does anybody know how many Colt Z40's were made?

Offline Otto N Sure

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 09:06:03 AM »
I've heard, but cannot confirm, that it was between 500 and 750. Honestly I think that number may be a bit high.

Otto

Offline CoalTrain73

• Texas Panhandle
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2010, 08:59:15 AM »
I am new here, but I just thought I would add my 2 cents.  I bought a pistol marked CZ40B on the slide in early 2003, NIB.  It has an 02 date stamp on it, and s/n A19XX.  When I looked at the factory paperwork that came with it, it listed the model as "Colt Z 40" but was marked out and had a hand written "CZ40B" beside that.  That made me wonder if it was made when they were still planning on marketing them under the Colt name, but later marked and exported to the USA with the CZ name...?

Either way...  I feel like I won on the deal.  I picked it up in a trade for a bargain, and have loved it ever since.  I am now looking to expand my CZ collection, but just have to decide on my next Baby.
CZ40B,  CZ82,  + some other Babies

Offline Psiworld

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 07:26:41 PM »
There was another "smart" gun technology a few years back, but it worked best with revolvers.

With that one, a special piece in the gun was activated by a ring the shooter wore -- I don't remember how they "linked" up, but it wasn't hi-tech.  If you held the gun and didn't have the ring on your hand, the trigger wouldn't work.

Recall seeing a tech demo about 20 years ago.  The ring was magnetic.  Seemed like a good deal if you don't carry any electronic devices that can be damaged by a strong magnetic field.

Offline Cg34110

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 01:45:42 PM »
Is there still a .40  to 9mm conversion available for the cz40b?

Offline Otto N Sure

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2012, 06:34:33 PM »
Howdy Newbie! AFAIK CZ has never made a 9mm to 40 S&W conversion for any of their pistols, including the CZ 40B. The only conversion is the Kadet Kit for converting the 75 series to .22 LR.

Otto

Offline Street

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2013, 10:40:43 PM »
Here is a pic of my Z40. I carried it on duty for a short time even took a few folks at gunpoint on felony arrests. The pistol was a gift from the wife. The gun mostly is a safe queen now. I have 8 factory 10 rounds mags for the pistol also. The serial number is in the 800 range.

Offline Otto N Sure

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2013, 07:58:30 AM »
What a collector piece! Thanks for sharing!

Otto

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2013, 07:12:31 PM »
Looks like it is DAO. Was that a factory option or part of a department order? The only 75Bs DAO were department or contract guns.

NICE gun by the way.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 10:43:05 PM by AZ_CZ »
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline Street

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2013, 09:27:44 PM »
Mine is DAO, the hammer is shaved flat. Very nice smooth double action pull, very accurate.

Offline OldGringo

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 11:13:28 PM »
Resurrecting the thread with an update with a vid that's kind of old itself.

I just came across the Colt backstory (Colt Z-40  N. 1)on the Forgotten Weapons (AKA Gun Jesus) Youtube channel, also on Full30.

This vid is from 2015.

https://www.full30.com/video/63b8f7f1793dfe05f28b175e7d2a2c71

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2017, 05:25:08 AM »
My cousin had one.  The Colt marked pistol that was DAO.  Got it at a gun show.

He eventually screwed up and shot himself in the hand with it one night racking the slide (you have no idea how many times I'd told him not to hold a pistol with his right hand across his chest while racking the slide to the rear with his left hand over the muzzle.)  That big old ugly .40 S&W hollow point went into the palm of his hand near the bottom and traveled up his arm to just short of the elbow before exiting and hitting the wall by the head board of his bead.  He was very lucky as it must have just traveled between the skin and the muscle.  He went to the emergency room and they treated him and sent him home.  No other issues from it.

Then he married an evil woman who had credit card bills out the ying yang he didn't know about till after they were married.  He ended up selling most of his guns trying to pay off her credit card bills and keep her from losing her house.  When he finally got her back on solid financial ground she accused him of assaulting her and got him thrown in jail and then got a restraining order on him so he couldn't go back to the house he'd been paying for.  During the trial it came out the gun he supposedly "pointed at her" was a rifle in the case he was carrying out the door to go to a shooting range.  The court convicted him anyway but then, on the appeal they dropped the charges and over a year or so of fighting with them about it they wiped his records clean and everything is back to normal - but he never got his money or his guns back and lives in another state now. 

Several nice/rare guns left his possession forever, as well as most of his bank accounts.  I've got a feeling he'd get married again though.  Some people never learn.

I shot it, once, when he brought it home with him.  Had the nice blue box, the Colt owner's manual, the Colt name/logo on it.  Seems like, on the bottom of the frame, it was marked CZ, but that's been a long time ago.

The story, we heard around here, was that Colt was going to shut down it's handgun manufacturing facilities in the US (combination of mismanagement and political pressures) and have "Colt" handguns made overseas for sale in the US.  I know I'd just bought my Colt Series 80 Government Model in stainless steel a few months prior to that for $495 and right after than announcement the prices on the same pistol jumped up to over $900 in the local gun stores.  I remember being at one of the bigger gun stores in the area and hearing people come in and ask about Colt guns only to be told they'd sold out and didn't know when they might get another shipment in.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

anything