Author Topic: What's wrong with .270?  (Read 7824 times)

Offline ZardozCZ

• Recently returned to shooting and loving it!
What's wrong with .270?
« on: March 27, 2013, 07:19:55 PM »
I'm considering getting a 550 American in .270, but wonder why it seems like it isn't very often discussed on the forums. Doesn't anyone go with .270?

For instance, Gander Mtn has relatively bare ammo shelves, but I can choose between a dozen or more different brands and weights and bullet types in .270. Sure, it's a buck a round give or take, but it's on the shelf unlike so many other popular in-demand calibers.

I haven't deer hunted yet, but have a friend to take me once I get a rifle. I love my CZ452 Style, and think the brand is great value and well engineered and built, so thinking the American 550. I may not stay in Minnesota, so want something that can be effective on larger than white tail deer, I'm not very experienced so a flatter trajectory will help with longer shots (Wyoming, Idaho, etc) as opposed to dense woodlands, and there seems to be lots of bullet weights and styles to choose from for reloading for .270, so I'm thinking that would be a great caliber for better versatility. I don't want a safe full, just one good versatile rifle if possible.

Am I wrong in thinking .270? I wouldn't get a .223 at this time (I think that it's minimum for deer in MN) with no ammo available, or even bullets for reloading. .243 is still a little light for larger than white tail from what I read, but excellent for varmints. .308 is nearly as scarce as .223 (shorter action rounds are just scarce these days) so the longer action seems a logical choice, even in scarcity times like these. Yes it is more expensive, but I'm not going to shoot a lot, but want to shoot well so after learning the scope I choose and work at various ranges to be more adept, I'll likely just put it away between deer seasons.

I know 7mm is becoming more popular, and the venerable 30-30 and 30-06 are very popular too and not out of the consideration, but why not .270?

Please no bashing or thrashing. I didn't grow up with a hunter father, and my uncle that did hunt was in Colorado and much older than my dad so had little patience with kids my age by the time I could handle a gun, so I'm working this out at 59 years old, and hoping for some guidance. Oh yeah, bolt action only for this one, and CZ natch!

Thanks in advance!

Steve
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
Aboriginal Proverb

Offline BrnoCZ

Re: What's wrong with .270?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 08:04:12 PM »
Like you I got into hunting later in life.  I came from back east and no one in my family hunted when I was growing up.  As a younger man, I didn't have the interest, time, or money (lol) to get into hunting.  I am almost 50 now and have been hunting for only a handful of years.  I have harvested boar and both Red and Roe deer in Germany while staioned overseas.  Back here in the US, I have only harvested whitetail.  My experience has been that I have harvested animals at generally shorter versus longer ranges.  However, good clear optics and a quality trigger are more important than caliber size.  Proper shot placement into an animals power plant (heart/lung) is the most important consideration. I also try not to  take questionable shots on fast moving game or ranges beyond my ability or the optics.

Having said all that, I think .270 is a fine caliber as long as you know your rifle's handling and have complete confidence in it.  I am sure others might have preference for one caliber or another but what matters is you and how the rifle handles between your hands and in your head.  I have several Brno, CZ, and Marlin rifles.  I only keep rifles that work for me and that I have confidence in.  If they don't feel right then I move them on.  I personally feel CZ rifles are ergonomically superb and tend to be very accurate in stock condition.

While I personally don't own a rifle chambered in .270, it seems to me to be a highly funtional round capable of taking most if not all species. 

Offline mauserand9mm

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 09:52:20 PM »
The 270 would be an excellent choice. For some reason it seems to have lost a level of appeal, not sure why. Same thing for the 30/06. Maybe the newer magnum cartridges has displaced the popularity?

I did have a 270 once, but my 308 seems to do it all now. I am considering a 7mm RM for some longer range work - the 270 would probably be fine for this too, but I've wanted a 7mm now for some time.

Offline andres14725

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 10:22:34 PM »
Call me old-fashioned or over-cautious, but I will not use .223 or even .243 on white-tail or anything larger, even though I know of hunters taking larger antelope with .243. Either the .30-06 or .270 will do nicely on white-tail under 200 yards, which for me is the maximum range that I will attempt a shot. In my experience sufficient opportunities present themselves under 100 yards to obviate the need for those longer shots. With premium bullets the .270 will suffice for larger animals too. With hand-loading it is possible to optimize ballistics for the application, in my case heavier bullets with reduced loads to minimize meat damage under 100 yards. The .270 seems to also kick a little less than the .30-06, which only comes into play after a day at the shooting range. If you are sensitive to recoil, you will probably shoot better with the .270. I do.

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 10:30:57 PM »
What's wrong with the .270?  Absolutely nothing!  You do realize that it is the second most popular hunting cartridge in the U.S., don't you?  According to RCBS, it is also their second most sold reloading die sets, right after .30-06 on both accounts.  Why was there so much .270 ammo on the shelves?  My guess would be that most who shoot it reload, AND sadly, probably only shoot 2 boxes a year.

The .270 is hard hitting and accurate.  For whitetail, mule deer, and pronghorn, a 130 grain bullet is as good as you can get.  If you are going to shoot elk and moose, I would suggest moving up to a 150 grain bonded bullet.  I would say that it is nearly a perfect cartridge for hunting on the prairie, where shots can reach out to 300+ yards.

Here's a video of my father shooting a small whitetail deer at ~225 yards with his .270.  The bullet was a 130 grain Sierra GameKing.  Skip to about 2:00 if you just want to see the shooting.

Offline Bret

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 09:04:09 PM »
While there's certainly nothing wrong with the 270 performance wise, you can get equivalent performance in shorter action cartridges.  In addition, there are not too many other .270 caliber cartridges.  Since I reload, I personally like to have bullet calibers that I have multiple cartridges for.  For example, I like .264 caliber as I have a 260 Remington rifle (short action) and a 6.5 Swedish Mauser (long action).

Offline Jake G

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 10:36:08 PM »
Nothing wrong with the .270.  Great big game round.  Only short action .270 is the WSM which my buddy has in a Savage and in all honesty I'd probably pick up a .270 Winchester if I wanted something in the .277" bullet spectrum.  Truth is there are so many choices out there and every few years it changes.  We went from the .30-06, .280, and .270 to the 7mm Rem Mag and .300 Win Mag to the Ultra Mags and then the Short Mags and now common sense sends many of us back to the .30-06, .270, .280 range of cartridges.  Why?  Because they work just as well within the ranges most of us hunt and ammuntion is much more available and less expensive (Look at ammo prices at Walmart for instance.  You can pick up .270 for $20 or so?  Then go check out the price of the .270 WSM....).  Well those are my reasons anyway.  I've had many different calibers but in the last 5 years or so I've found myself streamlining things a bit.  My big game bolt guns at present include a .308 carbine, .30-06 FN mauser, .338 Win Mag, and .223 Remington.  Yes, I have other types of rifles but those will cover just about anything I could hunt on the North American Continent and I've streamlined my necessary reloading components and powders.  I could have easily substitute that .30-06 with a .270 and take the same game, it just so happens I got that FN mauser dirt cheap and that thing will drive tacks!  If you like the .270 pick one up and enjoy it.  Besides it's easy to find ammo for right now if you don't reload.  I can't say that about the .223 and .308 at the moment!

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 12:47:13 AM »
Since I reload, I personally like to have bullet calibers that I have multiple cartridges for.  For example, I like .264 caliber as I have a 260 Remington rifle (short action) and a 6.5 Swedish Mauser (long action).

I'm a reloader too, and I've always had a soft spot for the .277 caliber.  I started started with a .270 Winchester (Winchester M670).  Instead of a wedding ring, my wife got me a .270 WSM (Winchester M70 Coyote Lite).  I wanted an AR, but wanted to be able to hunt with it, so I built a 6.8 ARP. 

I use the same bullets in the .270 and WSM (130 grain), but like going with a lighter bullet (90 grains) in the 6.8 for more velocity.  Putting the 90 grain bullet in either of the big game rifles is one heck of a coyote load!

Offline ZardozCZ

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 08:58:03 AM »
You all have given me much to think about. I'm looking for 'one good rifle' and from what I've read prior to this post, and now with your contributions, I'm pretty settled on the .270 Win for all the reasons given.

I will be picking up reloading equipment for my pistol passion (started shooting in .22 and combat leagues last Autumn) so will be reloading to facilitate more fun at the range. I'll get the dies for .270 (actually saw them at the near empty reloading store nearby!!!). At a buck a round, reloading .270 will justify the cost of the gear with much faster ROI than pistol cartridges, but it's all fun.

I've set my sights on the CZ 550 in .270. Probably American, as I'm not able to use open sights well (my .22 pistol has a red dot and I shoot it much much better than my 9mm with open sights). Now if I could only find a 2-40x scope with auto-ranging and night vision!!!

Thanks all for your input, it is appreciated. Have you noticed how CZ people have a special quality about them, like their firearms do?
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
Aboriginal Proverb

Offline Skookum

• Truth is the new hate speech.
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 10:01:13 AM »
I grew up in a WI county that allowed, at the time, deer hunting only with shotguns.  I used my dad's .30-06 when hunting in northern counties that allowed rifles, and while I lived in MT while in grad school.  After graduation I lived in WY.  After studying ballistics tables, I bought a Ruger M77 in .270 Win for big game, because the trajectory is flat for the long ranges often encountered.  I then bought a Ruger No. 1 varmint rifle in 6 mm Rem for similar reasons.  As I recall, I considered both effectively flat out to 250 to 300 yd for deer-sized game.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 06:21:42 AM by Skookum »
Skookum
Browning Challenger III, .22 Long Rifle, Glossy Blue
CZ 83, 9 Browning Court, Satin Nickel
CZ 75 Compact, 9 Luger, Dual Tone — Satin Nickel/Matte Blue
CZ 82, 9 Makarov, Czechoslovak People's Army Black
CZ 83, 7.65 Browning, Glossy Blue
Beretta 3032 Tomcat, .32 Auto, Inox

Offline Old Rocket

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 11:49:31 PM »
 I grew up hunting in WI and consider the 270 great, I own a Browning Bar Belgium and Wetherby in the 270. 2 years ago I shot a doe at 420yrds with a 130gr Partition. I am reloading for the 270 and love it. Loving the ProHunter and looking into the GameKing from Sierra. I was stationed at F.E. Warren AFB in Wy and hunted prairie goats , deer and elk in the late 80s and the 270 was the caliber for me.
 My sons first gun was a Savage 111 243 and he has killed 6 deer with it, 1 shot 1 kills. I believe in an accurate gun with placement and that comes with confidence and practice. He is now 19 and I am looking into an adult stock. He can pick off spent 20ga shotgun shells off the top of the 100 range targets with the 3x9x40 scope that came with the package. A lot of his friends can't do that and they all flinch when shooting there magnums.
CZ 75b
CZ P09
SP 01
SP 01
TS 40
VZ2008

Offline ZardozCZ

What's wrong with .270?
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 11:11:17 PM »
Ah, to have young eyes again!

I'm settled on a CZ 550 in .270.  Now I just gotta find the right deal.

Thanks all for the great testimony and encouragement. I'm sure I will enjoy it when I get it.
Aboriginal Proverb

Offline BrnoCZ

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 07:41:41 AM »
I can highly recommend the CZ 550 fs model.  The rifle is incredibly accurate and the design is superbly ergonomic.   It has the traditional lines and feel of a quality European mannlicher. Good luck!

Offline ornery

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 09:27:12 AM »
Just had to weigh in. Was in Africa for 6 weeks,my 270 got plenty with 1shot each. (Plains game) You'll love it.... been a gunsmith for 30 years. This was my first 270 sorry I waited so long.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2

papaairbear

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 12:57:17 PM »
I carried a .270 for years and took mulies, pronghorn, and elk with it with ease at ranges from 50 to 650 yards without problem- that I didn't create.  +1 on the 130 gr bullet.  I liked the accuracy I got with Sierra's SPBT.  Easy to shoot, too.  I felt I could shoot it all day long- not so with the 7mm mag or .300 win mag.

anything