Author Topic: 17 wsm  (Read 11849 times)

Offline cardon1122

17 wsm
« on: April 11, 2013, 03:16:06 PM »
Does CZ have any plans to offer the new 17 Winchester Super Magnum rimfire?

Offline buddy.223

Re: 17 wsm
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 09:24:44 AM »
not for the foreseeable future from what ive heard, theres still a push on the .17 hornet trying to recoup some of the investment there, without introducing something with the potential to kill it plus cz seem to have their hands full with the new 557 line and it would take quite a bit of retooling to set up, I don't think its a matter of screwing a new barrel on your 455, looks like a savage or browning. I hope it does take of as it looks impressive,but there is no doubt the .17 market is just about saturated.

Offline Alsone

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 05:53:06 AM »
That's a real shame because this cartridge looks set to obsolete every cartridge below .223.

The performance is up there with a .22 Hornet for energy and has considerably better ballistics for both bullet drop and wind resitance, in fact around twice as good!!!!

It has the same energy at 200 yards at .17hmr has at the muzzle!!!

At 250 yards it has only 13 ft/lbs of energy less than .22 Hornet!

It's reported to be quiet, low recoil and 1/2 MOA on accuracy.

Best thing, ammo is reported to be $17 for 50 rounds!

CZ would be mad not to produce this.

Offline MBarton

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 02:22:38 PM »
"CZ would be mad not to produce this."

Apparently they are. I'm a huge CZ fan and have waited and waited just knowing they would be in the 17WSM market. I was wrong and will have to buy a lowly B-Mag I guess. What a disappointment.

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 11:14:01 PM »
Apparently they are. I'm a huge CZ fan and have waited and waited just knowing they would be in the 17WSM market.

I don't think the 4 years since the last post have changed their minds.

I was wrong and will have to buy a lowly B-Mag I guess.

Well, Ruger discontinued the 77/17 which was your only other option (aside from a Volquartzen).  If I were you and you are really liking this cartridge, it may not be a bad idea to stock up on the ammo.  Your cartridge may be destined to go the way of the 5mm.

.17 Hornet gives you another 650+ fps and the ability to reload the cartridge.  That is where I would spend my money.

Offline KnightSchneider

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 02:45:01 PM »
the .17WSM isn't a bad cartridge, it just fits into a tough little void

price per round is well into centerfire (30-34 cents per round)

the length of the cartridge puts it into centerfire action range....but as was mentioned, it doesn't pack as much as the .17 Hornet (my personal favorite .17 CF cartridge).

most companies, CZ included, didn't feel the juice was worth the squeeze to re-engineer their rimfire lines to accommodate the WSM...or so I imagine.  And I can't imagine too many CZ 527's in .17WSM selling next to a .17 Hornet...some, to be sure, but enough to make it worth engineering the magazines to work etc...I doubt it.

For me, the .17HMR reaches out to 200 yds pretty well.  Beyond that, I go to CF (.223Rem).
Some will die in hot pursuit in fiery auto crashes.
Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes.
Some will fall in love with life, and drink it from a fountain, that's pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.