Author Topic: Help me get up-to-date on changes  (Read 731 times)

Offline Luxman22lr

Help me get up-to-date on changes
« on: April 12, 2013, 07:04:09 PM »
I have not had a CZ75B since 2004 (owned a CZ75B SA in 9mm for awhile) and I got a new CZ75B 9mm today.  I noticed that the recoil spring seems kind of wimpy (not like the braided one with the steel follower that I had back then) and maybe it is just me but has the gun lightened up at all as far as the frame and slide are concerned?   I don't want to do much to my model outside of the recoil spring/follower change but am curious about any cost saving changes CZ has made to the CZ75B.  Thanks.

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
Re: Help me get up-to-date on changes
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 10:27:59 PM »
recoil spring/follower
Do you mean Recoil Spring, Guide Rod ?
I know of no real change there
The Slide on the 75B is (by design) shaped a bit different then that of the B-SA, no real change
The Frame on the 75B is also different by design from the B-SA, no real change there eother
He's not a Slow President, and he's not a Fast President....He's a Half Fast President

Online 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 12:39:13 AM »
I can't remember the years that caught the 75B in trannsition,  but did your older model B have CZ USA  Kansas City stamped on the right side?
If it did, I suspect you've already noticed the only changes.
The polymer guide rod has proven very durable and functional.  Traditionalists will replace it with steel, but other than adding weight to the front end, doesn't really improve anything.
The recoil spring is a sore spot for me, because a number of the round-wire "replacement" springs are longer (at various weights) than original and won't lay flat.  They will buckle and rub the frame as the gun cycles.  The short guide rods (poly or steel) allow that to happen.  Function doesn't seem to be affected, and once they take a set they run smoothly.

The trigger is really very good, once some  smoothing, polishing and notably the hammer geometry is improved.  At one time I had mine down below 2# in SA and found it was too light for "me" to handle well.  I increased the pull weight about another pound and it's really good at that weight for me.
I know you'll be much happier when yours comes home after being worked by CGW.   

It's a good pistol.  Enjoy it and let us know how it shoots for you.

Offline kyron4

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 09:20:52 AM »
Doesn't the poly guide rod also act as a sort of buffer between the slide and frame ?

Offline Luxman22lr

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 01:16:47 PM »
The polymer guide rod has proven very durable and functional.  Traditionalists will replace it with steel, but other than adding weight to the front end, doesn't really improve anything.
The recoil spring is a sore spot for me, because a number of the round-wire "replacement" springs are longer (at various weights) than original and won't lay flat.  They will buckle and rub the frame as the gun cycles.  The short guide rods (poly or steel) allow that to happen.  Function doesn't seem to be affected, and once they take a set they run smoo
I noticed that my spring (new, of course) does not lay very flat.  I wonder if you can use the braided if you can find one. Did the thickness of the guide change?

Offline Luxman22lr

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 01:49:21 PM »
Doesn't the poly guide rod also act as a sort of buffer between the slide and frame ?

In a way it does.  But a real buffer sits inside the slide at the front at the "U" ( a la Buffer Technologies).

Offline dioscuri3

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 02:35:37 PM »
Yea I've owned about 15 different ones so far with born on dates ranging from 1990 to 2008 and the biggest downside in changes I have found is the barrels on the KC marked ones. But even thats not a deal breaker. Have never run across the braided springs in any of them. Bout a third of them had metal guide rods. They have almost all had different kind of factory sights in some form or another whether it be dovetail width, pinned, non pinned, post, goofy adjustable older combat sights, on and on. And of course the B upgrades and transitional B upgrades.

That is kind of what is fun about buying used CZs though. Every one has its own personality. Transitionals are the most fun to get in because who knows what they will have on them as far as parts combos go.

Online 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 11:36:47 PM »
Did the thickness of the guide change?

Back when I was intent on 'fixing' the bowed spring issue, I considered the guide rod diameter too.
I even contacted a guide rod maker and found it wasn't expensive to have one made.  I never persued it though.  How do you choose a new diameter?
Steve Bedair:  http://guiderod.com/

anything