Author Topic: Tyler, Texas Gun Show Report  (Read 844 times)

Offline JimThornTX

• It ain't easy being green.
    • Texas State Rifle Association
Tyler, Texas Gun Show Report
« on: April 21, 2013, 01:11:21 AM »
I haven't been to a gun show in quite a while. Not since Obama was re-elected in Nov 2012. Between that and the Sandy Hook shooting I thought it best to stay away from the madness. Today I decided to brave the crowds and see if things have calmed down. They have not.

Ammo: ridiculous prices. No other way to put it. $30 per box of 9x18 Makarov and 7,62x25 Tokarev. $40 or more for a box of 9mm and 40 S&W. I actually saw a price of $250 on a 250-round box of Remington UMC 9mm. I did score on some 9mm reloads. 500 rounds for $175 ($0.35 per round) plus tax. I have used their reloads before (Dallas Ammo, Dallas Reloading, something like that). It's good stuff. No problems running in my CZ's.

Handguns: P-07 OD Green for $489, P-01 for $573, DW ECO for $1495, Sig Sauer Molon Labe edition 1911 for $1098, Ruger SR45 for $474 (very tempting), lots or AR's, not many AK's, lots of shotguns and bolt action rifles. A couple of Tanfoglio's, a couple of Tristar C-100 duo-tones (nickel slide, black frame) and even found a Canik Shark satin. Way too many Taurus semi-autos and revolvers. 

Misc: Mec-Gar 16-round CZ 75 mags for $30, metal AR mags for $22, scored a SAW ammo can (larger than standard 50 cal ammo cans) in really good condition for $25.

Conclusion: Not sure it was worth going. Arrived an hour early and the line was already a mile long. $7 just to walk through the door. Lots of vendors selling stuff that is not guns or ammo, some not even firearms related at all.

EDIT: forgot to mention this particular show was put on by http://www.lonestargunshows.com/ . And no charge for parking.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 01:34:26 AM by JimThornTX »
CZ 52
CZ 82
CZ 83 Satin Nickel
CZ 75 BD POLICE
CZ 75 D Compact PCR
CZ 75 P-01 ODG
CZ 75 P-06
CZ 612 HD

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
Re: Tyler, Texas Gun Show Report
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 01:30:18 AM »
Jim,  sounds like the Saxet Gunshow, and I haven't been in a long time. There used to be a few decent venders.  Could score a decent pocket knife.
I rarely found anything in primers/powders worth buying.
CCC (Collins Cartridge Company) used to have some decent remanufactured ammo, but dad had medical problems and son took over, so I don't know  how he's doing.

Saxet at least gives a break to NRA members for entry, and San Antonio gives Military free parking.  I think that's about $4-$5.  :(

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 07:17:53 AM »
I can't speak for gun shows any place but here in Ohio and all that can be said is it is a nice way to spend a morning or afternoon but if you are looking for a deal forget it.This has been the case for over 20 years and the recent madness has not really mattered. The dealers decided years ago that people thought they were getting a "good deal" since they were buying at a gun show and gradually raised prices on the average 20-30% over what normal gun shop prices are. You can still find things like once fired brass and other components but that's about it.

Offline JimThornTX

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 10:13:42 AM »
Back when we had a pro-gun prez in the White House local gun shows here did have good deals on guns and ammo. Things got crazy in 2008 and 2009 after Obama was elected but eventually calmed down again in 2011 and 2012 and good deals came back. Of course that changed with the re-election of Obama and the Sandy Hook shooting.
CZ 52
CZ 82
CZ 83 Satin Nickel
CZ 75 BD POLICE
CZ 75 D Compact PCR
CZ 75 P-01 ODG
CZ 75 P-06
CZ 612 HD

Offline Czeetah

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 10:38:54 AM »
I just stopped going.

Vendor gouging will end up turning off so many people if they keep it up .. it will bite them as more and more will forego paying.

The whole point of paying $7 was the risk/reward of finding a deal. If its just knick knacks and LGS stock and prices, why bother.
FOX News/MSNBC/CNN/CBS/ABC: "Brought to you by the generous support of corporations who have everything to sell you and nothing to tell you"

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 11:30:29 PM »
Sounds a lot like the Salt Lake Show last weekend
A lot of insane pricing on Ammo and Guns
Ammo sales tables had huge lines
I noticed that even some of the jewelry tables had Ammo for sale
I did score a pound of AA-2520 I've been on the hunt for, for months though
Kinda sucks that it cost $52.00
$22.00 to get in and $30.00 for the Powder
But we would have spent the $22.00 anyway
And could have walked out with nothin’
He's not a Slow President, and he's not a Fast President....He's a Half Fast President

Offline KLR650

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 10:51:01 PM »
Tell Texas gunshows to go to hell in a handbag, and you  are about there.  Fugg 'em all to 'ell.

Offline Sancho

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 11:14:15 AM »
Sounds a lot like the Salt Lake Show last weekend
$22.00 to get in and $30.00 for the Powder
But we would have spent the $22.00 anyway

$22?  Really? 
I thought that $7 was a lot in Boise. 
But our shows are probably a lot smaller.

Sancho
I am only eight pistols into the 12-step program.

Offline JimThornTX

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 10:09:46 PM »
$22 for multiple people I'm sure. When I said $7 to get in I was only talking about myself. My wife and son also went so technically I spent $21 for us all to just get into the building. But I think it was worth it because we all left with something that we bought in there.
CZ 52
CZ 82
CZ 83 Satin Nickel
CZ 75 BD POLICE
CZ 75 D Compact PCR
CZ 75 P-01 ODG
CZ 75 P-06
CZ 612 HD

Offline WarhawkXF

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 01:58:18 AM »
Sounds about right for gun shows - come to the Oklahoma MetCalf gun shows if you are bored some time. The prices can be more agreeable during the big gun show, but if you go to any of the smaller ones, it fits right in with the prices you listed. We saw some Sig 226's going for $975 used, simply because the dealer there was the only one with one...

Offline TWParrish

• Windows Warrior Homepage
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 07:17:53 PM »
Sounds like what happened to the big computer shows in my area is happening to gun shows as well.  They stopped being the definitive place to get a good price on, well, everything, and started being same-price-as-retail-or maybe-even-higher events, vendors counting on people thinking they were getting a great deal simply because they were shopping at a show.

They are no more.  They are mostly gone around here, and they did it to themselves.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."  General George S. Patton

Offline czechyoself

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 08:25:42 PM »
Sounds about right. Every show in the metroplex is the same old dealers with the same old crummy prices. The recent Dallas show (that was actually IN Dallas) was cool because it was a lot of old farts with tons of C&R stuff, military memorabilia, etc.. Those guys don't hit any of the big shows, this one seemed like it was by and for collectors. Some really unique items there, including a 24k trimmed AK47 with some Vietnam war award badge on the stock (distinguished service type of deal). It was dressy but not gaudy and pretty unique.

Saw one guy with 2 CZ 82's but ended up picking up a 52 instead from another table. Should have gotten both, but there are plenty of 82's around still.

Overall, the Texas shows are a bust unless it's the rare collector type show. Too busy, too expensive, too crowded, and CZ's are hard to spot. Ammo especially stupid with the pricing; $180 880 round spam can set of 7.62x54r I've seen going for as high as $250 PER CAN. Ridiculous.

anything