Author Topic: SAR K2P 9mm Review  (Read 96535 times)

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
SAR K2P 9mm Review
« on: May 06, 2013, 03:31:35 PM »

Sarsilmaz/EAA SAR K2P 9mm with SAR 15 round Magazine, but also works great with Mec-Gar Cz75 17 and 19 round Magazines

Had been thinking about buying an SAR K2P 9mm from Buds, and then found that my favorite LGS had received a shipment of SAR K2P's and was selling them off for only about $20 more than it would have cost me to order one from Buds, so needless to say, I bought from them, again.

Sarsilmaz/EAA SAR K2P 9mm Field Stripped

When I got it home, I cleaned and Lubed it.  It was in serious need of Lubrication, as the Action was fairly gritty and stiff.  Once Lubed, it started to turn around nicely, as I worked Lube into the Safety and Trigger with some dry fire exercises.  It was going to be a few days till I could get it to the Range and during that time, I dry fire practiced with it.  Also, I elected to install a Hogue Handall Universal Grip Sleeve, which for me, made the Grip more even more pleasant than it already was.  It does add a bit to the Grips size, but not objectionably so.

Also, during that time, I experimented with Magazines to see what would fit and work.  As Forum Member Brian Ahearn had reported earlier, this Pistol will work with the Mec-Gar Cz75 17 and 19 round Magazines.  The original SAR supplied Magazine will only hold 15 rounds.  My preference is to use the SAR K2P with the Mec-Gar Cz75 17 round Magazine, as it sticks out the bottom of the grip less than the 19 rounder, for better concealability.  My 16 round Mec-Gar Cz75 Magazines would not reach up in to the Magazine well far enough to latch.  An older Mec-Gar Witness 15 round Magazine would fit and latch into the Pistol, but would NOT feed past the initial Slide Rack.

This Pistol is very well made in fit and finish and there is no slop in the Slide to Frame and Barrel to Slide fit.  Recoil Spring setup uses Parallel Dual Recoil Springs.

When I finally got it to the Range, I found that it printed to the left, as Forum Member Brian Ahearn had also reported, and I ended up adjusting the Rear Sight a bit, which I hate doing.  I'm not a fan of adjustable sights on Semi-Auto Pistols, but in this case they served their purpose.  Reliability and Accuracy were excellent over the 100 rounds I put thru it that afternoon and I like it.

The only concerns I have is that the SAR K2P, according to it's supplied manual, is not +P capable, but I believe that this Pistol is fairly durable.  It's a very good Pistol for occasional Target Shooting and Self Defense with Standard Pressure Ammunition.  While it would probably would take the punishment, it is NOT a Pistol for USPSA/IPSC Competition that I plan to pour thousands of rounds thru per year, as I've been known to do.

So far in my research into Holsters for the SAR K2P 9mm, the following fit:

Fobus Paddle Holster #SP11 (No retention, but fits like it was made for it)

Crosman Generic Pistol Holster P/N SAH02A510 ( often found at Wally World and other stores, usually around $10 )

Tagua Open Top Leather raised OWB Holster #BH3-635 (Black, Right Hand) (Will require a bit of Stretching for use, but fits tightly) (Made for Springfield XD-S)

Safariland Custom Fit # 568-744-411 (Black, Right Hand) Excellent fit

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:49:28 PM by jwc007 »
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline tekarra

Re: SAR K2P 9mm Review
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 07:00:39 PM »
Nice looking pistol, thanks fo rthe report.

Offline Brian Ahearn

• Easton Firearms Refinishing
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 07:33:28 AM »
Glad you are enjoying your Sar K2P ,mine has had zero issues very accurate pistol as well. Everyone that I let try these pistols comes back amazed by the accuracy. Yesterday I loaned out a Sar K2 45 acp  and the gentlemen came back from shooting it and said the following; this thing shoots way better than my glock 10 mm and very soft, hardly any recoil. Sell it to me -so I did and now this morning I am ordering another 2 one in stainless and one in steel. The biggest issue that I run into with mainstream gun buyers non Cz or Cz clone buyers is that they have a had time buying something that was made in Turkey. You let them shoot it and there tune changes too wow this pistol is dead on accurate, shoots fantastic ,it only costs how much? Shooting them sells these pistols period. As these  pistols receive  more attention and get proper recognition for how well they are made and funtion unfortunately their price will increase, but on the bright side we will also get more of their model coming to America.
Easton Firearms Refinishing Owner/Operator
NRA Pistol Instructor
CZ Collector

Offline sar 0wner

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 06:08:43 PM »
i shot mine for the first time yesterday and loved it shot to the left i adjusted sights and perfect 250 rds of fmj no mishaps functioned as it should.!  thanks for the info i ordered a cz-75 17 rd mag and a slip on grip for the hell of it since its 9 bucks.

Offline RedFalconBill

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 12:06:49 AM »
The K2 manual I read said "overpressure ammuntion".

CIP and SAAMI maximums are equivalents when adjusted for the differences in measurements and testing protocols.

NATO maximum is a bit higher, not to +P maximum, but since it is higher than SAAMI, it would be considered '+P' here.

If the SAR K2 is a 9x19 pistol then the use of +P ammo would cause accelerated wear.

If the SAR K2 is a 9mm NATO pistol, then the use of +P ammo would be ok, but the pistol would still last longer if you did not use it.

Once I am ok with any SD/HD pistol being reliable with an acceptable SD/HD load (200-250 rounds +), I do not practice much with +P loads.

If this is nothing more than a Production Class Pistol in IPSC/USPSA or an SSP for IDPA, then I would never use +P ammo, as I would gain nothing from using it.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 02:05:11 AM »
Currently, I have been using the SAR K2P 9mm as a secondary Home Defense Handgun and it's loaded with the new Federal Premium Personal Defense (PPD) 135 grain HydraShok JHP.
http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/handgun.aspx?id=407

This loading is formulated for Compact Handguns and operates at standard pressures.  I also use it in my very compact Taurus PT-111, which has quite a short barrel.

As for EAA's prohibition against +P ammunition in this Pistol, EAA does this with ALL the Handguns it sells.  Even my ALL Steel K2-45, which is built "Bank Vault" tough.
I believe that these SAR K2P's will handle a limited amount of +P ammunition, but I don't believe that it's really necessary to use +P Ammunition to get a good defensive loading.

That said, many of my other 9mm handguns have been, and are, loaded with +P 124 grain JHP ammunition from CCI, Federal, Winchester, and Remington.

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline RedFalconBill

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 10:59:53 PM »
I prefer HST or Gold Dot rather than traditional H-S's, but if it is reliable and accurate in your K2P, go for it.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 09:05:07 PM »
Holster Montage for the SAR K2P

Left to Right
Fobus SP11
Safariland Custom Fit XD
TN Outdoors Belt Slide
Tagua XDS

Offline Genin

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 07:37:26 AM »
Love the look of that Safariland Custom Fit. I think it's a good looking holster and works well for the clones.

Offline westdawg

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 03:37:18 PM »
any new info about this gun?  i just got one in today.  haven't shot it yet, but absolutely love how it feels.  And honestly, it is a decent looking gun as well. 

I am looking for a CC holster for left hand, do either of the holsters in the pic above come in left hand models? 

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 04:45:11 PM »
any new info about this gun?  i just got one in today.  haven't shot it yet, but absolutely love how it feels.  And honestly, it is a decent looking gun as well. 

I am looking for a CC holster for left hand, do either of the holsters in the pic above come in left hand models?

My 9mm SAR K2-P continues to do well with more ( about 300 or so) rounds fired thru it.  I have been carrying it with the Federal Premium 135 grain Hydrashoks.
Whatever ammunition you choose to carry it with, make sure to run a box of it thru, to make sure it feeds.  Have not found any 9mm round this Pistol will not feed, yet.

The Fobus SP-11, Safariland, and TN Outdoors Belt Slide, do come in Left hand versions.  The Tagua XDS supposedly does also, but I've not seen one for sale.
Most any Holster for the Springfield XD and XDM series Pistols will work. YMMV. 

For concealment, my favorite is the TN Outdoors Beltslide, often found on ebay.  It's a rather generic Holster, also fitting the Taurus 24/7, Walther P99, and Springfield XD and XDM.
I wear it just behind my hip covered by a shirt jacket with my spare magazine carrier on my opposite hip.  If I'm going to be driving or sitting alot I will opt for a vertical shoulder rig instead.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 04:47:39 PM by jwc007 »

Offline westdawg

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 11:55:04 PM »
What options are there for shoulder rigs?  I have to suits for work and I am the only one who does not  currently conceal carry.  I do carry my revolver but it is a ruger 357 mag gp 100 with I believe a 6 inch barrel. Not much concealment lol.   Regardless, I would like the option to shoulder holster as well. 

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 01:20:15 AM »
What options are there for shoulder rigs?

The one I use the most is unfortunately no longer made, but there are several good makes around.  Liberty Manufacturing has some nice ones and you usually find them at Gun Shows.  Just look for one that fits the Springfield XD and you should do well.

I prefer the vertical rigs even though they are a slower draw.  With the angled horizontal rigs, it's easier for your Pistol to drop out of them.  When I tried a horizontal rig, I had trouble with the muzzle printing out my back.

Offline WASP

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 12:47:34 PM »
I know I'm late to this thread but worth a try. Will the those Mec-Gar CZ 75 17 and 19 rounders stick out from the bottom of the frame? Also I found stock SAR K2P Magazine 9mm 17rds. Will those fit flush or stick out from the bottom?

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 01:18:34 PM »
I know I'm late to this thread but worth a try. Will the those Mec-Gar CZ 75 17 and 19 rounders stick out from the bottom of the frame? Also I found stock SAR K2P Magazine 9mm 17rds. Will those fit flush or stick out from the bottom?

If you look at the Holster Montage posted above, the Magazine inserted into my SAR K2P is a MecGar Cz75 17 round Magazine, which is flush fitting with the bottom of the Grip.
Stock Magazines also fit flush.  The MecGar Cz75 19 round Magazine +2 Extension does fit the bottom of the Grip with no gap.

anything