Author Topic: 527 Carbine FRUSTRATION it's driving me crazy! UPDATE  (Read 2534 times)

Offline P01monster

527 Carbine FRUSTRATION it's driving me crazy! UPDATE
« on: May 08, 2013, 02:40:35 AM »
-------------------
UPDATE: 

HAPPY NOW!  The Weaver K6 is a perfect fit.  The length of the scope + it's eye relief are perfect for this rifle.  I'm now 99% satisfied.  I would have preferred a mil-dot reticle but strangely I think this Weaver has better image quality than the Leupold Mark AR.   

The turrets on the scope centered pretty well between the rings with good clearance for the QD levers.  My modified bolt handle has about 1/8" clearance from the ocular bell and my eye lines up nicely as I shoulder the rifle.  I think the ring height is just right.

There was an additional issue but it was with the Warne rings.  The screw under the rear ring protruded too much and didn't let the ring to seat properly onto the receiver.  I removed the screw, belt-sanded the head down until it allowed the ring so seat properly.  Touched up with cold blue and it's fixed. 

For anyone interested, the scope is 11.25" long, it's eye relief is 3.25" and I have 1/8" clear space between the rear sight and front of the scope.  The rings are Warne medium height 0.425".

When you shoulder a rifle your cheek wants a natural rest and this you shouldn't compromise.  Adding up those measurements should give you something to work with when your selecting your scope.

Hopefully my findings can spare fellow CZ fans some frustration!

:)

------------------

ORIGINAL POST:

So I have a new 527 Carbine, haven't even shot it yet but so far it's been the most frustrating gun experience I ever had!

I bought it because I wanted a multi-use rifle, plinking, hunting, SHTF, etc. but in order to get the most from it I wanted to be able Quick Detach a scope to it.  Should be no problem right??? 

Well not so.  First I order a new bolt handle from CZ that's supposed to be already modified to clear the ocular using warne medium rings.  $28 with shipping.  It shows up and it's the exact same efing bolt handle that came with the gun.  Well instead of wasting money on return shipping I modify it myself.  Few hours of filing, grinding, sanding and cold bluing and it now works.  However I wasted $28.

Next the scope I actually plan to use on it shows up but th efing thing is too long and the eye relief is also too long.  However I get this brilliant idea of replacing the rear sight with a marbles long rear sight that moves the actual sight back by 2.75".  I sketch it up, measure again, it looks like a tight fit but I figure its worth a try.  $20 delivered, it looks nice but the dovetail angle looks different...it's 3/8" at the bottom but the CZ angles are different...$20 wasted!

I determine the scope needs to be exchanged for a shorter scope with less eye relief.  $16 return shipping and its on its way back.  $16 wasted. 

Now I'm waiting for my replacement scope and today finally my Warne QD medium height rings show up.  I don't have the actual scope yet but I'm excited so I open the package and finger tight them on my gun....and the efing levers are on the right side of the gun.  Which is the wrong side of the gun.  In order to get the right eye relief I figured the scope needs to be mounted as far forward as possible which places the adjustment almost against the fron ring.....well the windage is on the sight side, same as the QD levers which can't spin around because they'll hit the windage knob, ARRRRRHG!

Now I need to return the Earne QD, did I mention that they cost $90.  ARRRRRHG! 

My new scope will be here by Saturday but I have no rings and I don't know of any QD rings that will work.   So after all this I realize its an iron sight only rifle.  I don't think I would have bought it if I knew I couldn't properly QD mount a scope.  I already settled on a lesser scope just because of its smaller dimensions.  Gieven the choice I'd rather have a scoped rifle over an iron sight rifle. 

So now I'm FRUSTRATED! 

Thanks for listening.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 01:49:44 PM by P01monster »

Offline Der Verminator

Re: 527 Carbine FRUSTRATION it's efing driving me crazy!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 09:18:37 AM »
Man, I hope that gun shoots well once you get it all set up the way you want it.

;)

This all went together without a hitch, although bolt clearance of scope just made it by a hair under the scope.  Almost touching the bottom of the Nikon 2X7.

Mine just has regular medium height Burris mounts, but I'd duct tape a wrench to the sling if I was concerned about getting the scope off fast.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 09:25:45 AM by Der Verminator »

Offline Riptide439

• Meet Riptide of Chincoteague
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 10:12:34 AM »
I decided to just leave the Hawke scope on mine since I needed to remove the rear sight. Bolt clears - but it is close.
I do have it scoped at about 3/4" group 100 yards!
Love the little thing!  :)
75B 9mm Duel Tone * SP01 Shadow * SP01 Phantom * SP01 Tactical * 85 Combat * 2075 Rami * P-09 * P07 * 97BD Cajunized * P01
S&W 686-6 * Dan Wesson Valor .45 * SAR K2 .45 * Canick S120 9mm * Sig P226
452 Trainer * 452 Ultra Lux  x 2 * 452 Varmint Thumbhole*527 .223 Carbine*Rem 870 Express

Offline P01monster

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 11:46:40 AM »
I'm pretty careful about working out the dimensions before ordering parts but I couldn't anticipate the tiny issues that have now turned into my frustration.

The scope I wanted to use was the Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40 with mil dots which has the elevation turret calibrated for the 223.  The mil-dot reticle was important to me and had this scope fit it would have made the perfect all-purpose rifle. 

The new scope is a Weaver K6.  I don't think it's going to fit "just right" but I'll wait until it shows up and do a dry fit before I give up on it.   I made some 0.425" blocks (to match the ring height) to test fit the scopes so I can check clearances.  Most of the times it's fun to work this stuff out but I'm close the believing that this rifle isn't meant to be scoped, which isn't fun.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 11:49:48 AM by P01monster »

Offline Striper Sniper

• Have fun, Be Prepared, Stay Safe.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 08:56:29 PM »
Bkl rings and leupold 2-7 x 33. Works fine for me.

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 09:47:41 PM »
I have Warne QR rings on a number of guns (no CZs  :'() and have the lever on the left side on all of them. Why can't you just turn the rings around? Do they have a front face to them?
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline P01monster

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 10:30:23 PM »
I have Warne QR rings on a number of guns (no CZs  :'() and have the lever on the left side on all of them. Why can't you just turn the rings around? Do they have a front face to them?

There is a key in the bottom of the rear ring.  It's a screw that can be removed but then the scope won't be installed in precisely the same location everytime and it will only have friction holding it in place.  I considered this and it's still an option but at $90 a set for the rings I'd prefer to not have to compromise. 

Offline P01monster

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 10:45:17 PM »
Bkl rings and leupold 2-7 x 33. Works fine for me.

BKL 16mm dovetail rings, are they new and not listed on their website ?   

All their mounts are tall ~0.775" less the claw which makes them something like 0.65".  I want the lowest rings which to best of my knowledge are the Warne med height rings at 0.425". 

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
Re: 527 Carbine FRUSTRATION it's driving me crazy!
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 11:16:41 PM »
I get that you're frustrated, but please don't use curse words, even abbreviated ones, in your post titles. The owners don't like it.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline P01monster

Re: 527 Carbine FRUSTRATION it's driving me crazy! UPDATE
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 01:46:57 PM »
Updated in post 1.

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 01:58:08 PM »
Congratulations!
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline P01monster

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 01:16:52 PM »
Thanks!  When it's done I'll post some pics.

I made a single shot block and now I want the flush bottom metal and a flush mag.  This gun is like owning a boat LOL!   

anything