Author Topic: New Texas Gun Laws for 2013  (Read 5030 times)

Offline JimThornTX

• It ain't easy being green.
    • Texas State Rifle Association
New Texas Gun Laws for 2013
« on: May 29, 2013, 07:23:55 AM »
**Effective September 1, 2013**

SB 299 - Incidental display of a handgun by a person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.

Protects Texas Concealed Handgun Licensees against charges of unlawful carrying of a handgun if they accidentally or inadvertently display their firearm.

---------------------------------------------

HB 864 - Relating to a handgun proficiency course that is taken to obtain or renew a concealed handgun license.

CHL classroom hours reduced from 10 hours to a minimum of 4 hours but not more than 6 hours.

---------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, HB700 - the open-carry bill, died in committee without receiving an up-or-down vote.  >:(
CZ 52
CZ 82
CZ 83 Satin Nickel
CZ 75 P-01 ODG
CZ 75 P-06
CZ 612 HD

Offline Rowe-75

Re: New Texas Gun Laws for 2013
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 07:35:50 AM »
SB 299 - Incidental display of a handgun by a person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.

Protects Texas Concealed Handgun Licensees against charges of unlawful carrying of a handgun if they accidentally or inadvertently display their firearm.
Yay!!!  ;D

HB 864 - Relating to a handgun proficiency course that is taken to obtain or renew a concealed handgun license.

CHL classroom hours reduced from 10 hours to a minimum of 4 hours but not more than 6 hours.
Hmmm....  ???

Unfortunately, HB700 - the open-carry bill, died in committee without receiving an up-or-down vote. 
GRRR!!!  >:( I DO miss being able to open carry in Missouri....
75b 9mm Para
2075 Rami .40
P06 .40
VZ2008 7.62x39

Offline nalioth

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 08:23:06 AM »

I still say this was a wasted opportunity.

The current law is already quite clear on this.

Nalioth's service awards

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 02:12:17 PM »

Not too sure I'm a big fan of this change.  I fully support the literal 2nd amendment, but also:

MANY of those I see getting their first CHL haven't got a single clue about firearms of ANY type.  Some realize the problem and voluntarily get additional training,  others don't.  These folks could use more "effective  basic firearm training" for their own benefit.  I'm not sure how to balance this with their God-given right for self defense.

Offline nalioth

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »

Not too sure I'm a big fan of this change.  I fully support the literal 2nd amendment, but also:

MANY of those I see getting their first CHL haven't got a single clue about firearms of ANY type.  Some realize the problem and voluntarily get additional training,  others don't.  These folks could use more "effective  basic firearm training" for their own benefit.  I'm not sure how to balance this with their God-given right for self defense.
The classroom portion has never been about "training", but exists to release the state of any liability that might arise should the CHL carrier do something boneheaded.

- "We (the state) know the applicant can hit what they're aiming at."
- "We (the state) know the applicant has been given notice of all appropriate laws."
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 02:27:37 PM by nalioth »

Nalioth's service awards

Offline bozwell

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 02:31:52 PM »
I don't know about that.  For one, I doubt the state has any liability in the first place.  For another, there were some useful moments in the CC I took.  As an example, most people don't understand what is required to properly prove self-defense in their state, and at least these courses can help to educate people on the basics of the law.  As for hands-on firearms training, that's not really the purpose of these courses.  It's more for basic proficiency, basic safety and basic understanding of the law.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 08:34:29 PM »
boz +1

Mine has covered various safety aspects as well as "when" to reach for the trigger.   Maybe it was just my instructor (long time acquaintance) , but before their shooting test,  and during during breaks and lunch,  he went through safety,  grip, stance, presentation and trigger pull with those that obviously didn't have a clue or requested said instruction.  It wasn't much, but it was at least "something".  He also offered more training for the price of range fees.  He brought plastic pistols for the training and classroom illustrations.
I took my shooting test 3 days before the class date.  I never heard of anyone failing THAT shooting test!!

Offline tekarra

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 08:44:14 PM »
Thanks for the update.

Offline JimThornTX

• It ain't easy being green.
    • Texas State Rifle Association
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 09:56:37 PM »
Only the classroom time has changed. 10 hours of lecture in a classroom setting is overkill. The handgun proficiency part of the class (actual hands on a gun / loading a gun / shooting a gun at a target) part of the course has not changed.
CZ 52
CZ 82
CZ 83 Satin Nickel
CZ 75 P-01 ODG
CZ 75 P-06
CZ 612 HD

Offline bozwell

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 10:04:40 PM »
I'd be inclined to say that 10 hours is not enough, but the realist in me has to concede that not all classes are equal and many people aren't there to listen.  Honestly the proficiency part of these classes is a joke - it's only the classroom section that adds some value. 

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 05:34:14 AM »
Most of these CCW classes are only adequate to familiarize the student with particular laws and minor ability to fire a handgun. Personally I do not believe we should have to pay and be issued a license to exercise what is our right but by the same token it is ultimately the individuals responsibility for what ever actions they take when carrying a firearm and that persons responsibility to have full knowledge of the laws in their state. Their are many very good and far better courses that can be taken and the best way to learn the law is to spend a few bucks and consult with an attorney on anything you do not understand in the law.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 02:35:20 PM »
I agree about the 2A rights, so to me this is a conundrum.  Danged if you do. Danged if you don't.
Lawyer consulations in my experience cost considerably more than CHL training.  Maybe I've talked to the wrong lawyers. ;D

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 03:34:13 PM »
I agree about the 2A rights, so to me this is a conundrum.  Danged if you do. Danged if you don't.
Lawyer consulations in my experience cost considerably more than CHL training.  Maybe I've talked to the wrong lawyers. ;D

Yes it is not normally a cheap proposition to speak with an attorney. I have consulted with mine on certain CCW issues in my state and I only suggest it because it seems too many people fly blind on legal knowledge or seek advice from those who in the end know even less than they do.

Offline Skookum

• Truth is the new hate speech.
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 07:53:35 PM »
CHL training requirements are a solution looking for a problem.  John Lott's research concludes that training requirements make no discernible difference, except to increase cost in a way to help keep self-defense weapons out of the hands of many who need them most.

WA was the first state to adopt a shall-issue CPL system, and has never required training.  There is no epidemic of unsafe concealed pistol handling here.  In fact, our system works so well that most other states adopted ours, except liberal easterners tacked on training requirements ? as a jobs program or for political correctness of the sort on display herein?
Skookum
Browning Challenger III, .22 Long Rifle, Glossy Blue
CZ 83, 9 Browning Court, Satin Nickel
CZ 75 Compact, 9 Luger, Dual Tone — Satin Nickel/Matte Blue
CZ 82, 9 Makarov, Czechoslovak People's Army Black
CZ 83, 7.65 Browning, Glossy Blue
Beretta 3032 Tomcat, .32 Auto, Inox

Offline Ross7

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 08:22:26 PM »
WA was the first state to adopt a shall-issue CPL system..
I was going to dispute this, thinking that Florida was first in 1987. But I decided to do some research before posting (a novel idea ;)) and indeed it appears WA was first in 1961. Learn something new everyday...

anything