Author Topic: Hi Tek Bullet coating.  (Read 2130 times)

Offline ThompsonCustom

Hi Tek Bullet coating.
« on: June 23, 2013, 12:02:37 PM »
The other day I order some Hi-Tek coating from Bayou bullets after hearing great thing about it over at the Cast boolits forum. I got to say I wish I would have had this a long time ago this stuff is great not only do you not have to mess with a sticky lube anymore that bullets look good and you can push them crazy fast without leading.

The fastest I have pushed mine so far is 1350fps average out of a stock glock 17 and not a ounce of leading.Tho Hi-tek claims you can push them to 3200fps through a rifle with no gas check and still be fine as long as you alloy is the right hardness.

Also suppose to be a smokeless bullet now tho I never really notice smoke but for those who do this close help with that.

Here is my latest batch:

Cost was 86 bucks shipped I think tho the start up price is a little high and your stuck with one color it should coat 26k 115 9mm bullets so it should last a long time. I think if you compete this would be the way to go adds about .30cents per 100 to the bullets I cast.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 12:39:23 PM by ThompsonCustom »

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of Vit in the morning !
Re: Hi Tek Bullet coating.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 12:41:36 PM »
Interesting. I'd certainly like some follow-up on your progress.

Here's a 2-part video of the process.....

]http://Vid
In God we trust; On 'starting load' we rely.

Offline ThompsonCustom

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 02:22:43 PM »
It's pretty Easy the formula I used for the above bullets is 2ml color 2.5ml acetone and 40 units catalyst I mixed that in a glass jar and added 250ish rounds of the lee 125gr bullet and tumble lubed them for 30 secs and then put them on the rack to dry. Drying takes about 15 mintues and than another 15 mins in the oven for me and that's it. Rinse and repeat 3 times.

Now oven time is the important part and will vary from person to person they just need to be in only enough so if you run them with a acetone soaked rag you don't get any color to come off. Another test is to smash them with a hammer to make sure that coating doesn't chip but I think you only run into that from over baking.

This is my second rounds of 250 bullets I really messed the first ones up and they came up a brownish/green but they still worked just as good so the coating is pretty forgiving and if you can tumble lube alox you can do this.   

Online jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 04:28:18 PM »
Did you use you house oven or did you pick up a little toaster oven?

I've thought about picking some up to try, but I can't honestly see it replacing my Star.  It just seems like it's so much extra work. 

How do you typically lube your bullets?  What sizer do you use before this system? 

Offline ThompsonCustom

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 05:59:12 PM »
I have a small little toaster and have used my kitchen oven and really there isn't any difference that I can see except I could do probably 2000 bullets at once in the house and it doesn't smell so i'll probably move it inside from now on, that's how I did the above.

Before I pan lubed all my bullets and cookie cut them out and sized them with a lee push through sizer so for me it's a lot cleaner and faster.

Even if it took more time I think I would still probably go with this over normal lube tho just because you could shoot all day at 1400fps and never get any leading it's comparable to shooting a copper plated bullet but you can't strip off the coating like you can plating.

Online jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 08:35:04 PM »
Before I pan lubed all my bullets and cookie cut them out and sized them with a lee push through sizer so for me it's a lot cleaner and faster.

Oh man!  It's got to be heads and tails better!  I tried pan lubing one time.  my experience was an absolute nightmare.  I used a bullet with a VERY small bevel base, so the lube got all around the base.  I was using a harder lube (Carnauba Red) and when it solidified, the bullets wouldn't pop out.  I wasn't using a cookie cutter, but even if I was, there would have been a ring of lube around that small bevel base.

Long story short, I ended up with a 9x9 cake pan with the base completely full of bullets that ended up getting remelted and recast.  I learned several lessons from that experience.  Could I do it again and not make a mess of things?  Yes.  Do I want to?  Not particularly. 

Offline ThompsonCustom

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 05:41:26 PM »
lol ya pan lubing is not so much fun.

UPDATE:

Well still loving these bullets so far but they do have one downside that is the same as lead. If they are undersized they lead like a sewer pipe, shot some the other day that where to small and was taking chrono reading for the first 20 and not really aiming but when I tired to came I couldn't hit anything and I looked at the end of the barrel and seen the problem. Later I measured the sized bullets and they were .3555 instead of my normal .3565

so unlike jacketed bullets barrel to bullet fit is still a must to stop leading. The good news is it seems to be all or nothing so you have no leading or you have a ton of it.

Also have a better basket made now from hardware cloth and it increased airflow so I have to re figure my baking times.