Author Topic: Are Armalite AR-24s no more?  (Read 709 times)

Offline Elkhound

• Ex-JAGC; Ex-AUSA; current ALJ
Are Armalite AR-24s no more?
« on: June 23, 2013, 12:37:58 PM »
I just "discovered" the Armalite AR-24 and it appears that they are "no more."  Did they fail to live up to Armalite's, or the public's expectations, were they (are they) a flop, or are they still available, but just not popular?

I like the idea of an Armalite handgun, but it looks like maybe they were a "flash in the pan"????

Elkhound
"Rules are not necessarily sacred, principles are."
Franklin D. Roosevelt
"Membership in the bar is a privilege burdened with conditions."
Benjamin Cardozo

Offline cz75fan

Re: Are Armalite AR-24s no more?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 01:37:15 PM »
Armalite is still showing them on their website.

Offline Bret

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 04:43:56 PM »
They're priced about the same as an equivalent CZ.  Given the choice, the vast majority of people will choose the CZ.  Of course pistol whores like me will buy both. O0  My pistol was made in October, 2008.  I received it NIB in August 2012.  That's almost four years.  It's pretty safe to say that they're not flying off the shelf.  I wouldn't at all be surprised if the Turkish manufacturer was looking to find another company to distribute them in the US.  Like the Canik and Witness pistols, I think that a CZ equivalent pistol model needs to be about $100 less in order to take a sale away from CZ.  Remember that "AR-24" is just a name for the US market, so if the information you have is accurate, they'll reappear under another name.  BTW, where did you "discover" this information?

Offline Elkhound

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 05:03:19 PM »
They're priced about the same as an equivalent CZ.  Given the choice, the vast majority of people will choose the CZ.  Of course pistol whores like me will buy both. O0  My pistol was made in October, 2008.  I received it NIB in August 2012.  That's almost four years.  It's pretty safe to say that they're not flying off the shelf.  I wouldn't at all be surprised if the Turkish manufacturer was looking to find another company to distribute them in the US.  Like the Canik and Witness pistols, I think that a CZ equivalent pistol model needs to be about $100 less in order to take a sale away from CZ.  Remember that "AR-24" is just a name for the US market, so if the information you have is accurate, they'll reappear under another name.  BTW, where did you "discover" this information?

By "discover" I just meant that I did not know such a weapon existed a few days ago.  As I learn more about CZ 75s and read this forum and search on the internet, I just stumbled onto the AR 24.  I did not know about them.  So, I've been doing a bit a reading and it just sounds interesting to me.  However, I think you have a very valid point.  The CZ equivalent pistol should be about $100.00 less than the "real" deal or it is likely not worth considering unless one just has to have it in their collection or it offers some variation/up-grade/change, which makes it worth buying over the original.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
Benjamin Cardozo

Offline Elkhound

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 07:58:11 PM »
Well, my "discovery" has led to the expenditure of more money!  (what a surprise that is.)  I found an AR 24 on gun auction.com and with a few hours to go, it was only $281.00 new in box!  It is the 15 round, non-tactical version.   It took about a dozen bids and extra time, but I got it for $386.00.  So, now I've just got to pay the man for it and wait.  (Don't tell my wife; she's pretty understanding, but she has her limits!)

Elkhound.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Benjamin Cardozo

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 08:03:09 PM »
Congratulations!  8)  Look forward to reading about it, later on, in a separate review thread.  :)

The AR24's will use 9mm Small Frame Witness or Cz75B magazines.  They are largely based on the Tanfoglio Design and some parts will interchange.

Sarsilmaz and Tanfoglio were partners in the Turkish Market area, at one time.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

Offline Elkhound

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 08:05:11 PM »
Congratulations!  8)  Look forward to reading about it, later on, in a separate review thread.  :)

The AR24's will use 9mm Small Frame Witness or Cz75B magazines.  They are largely based on the Tanfoglio Design and some parts will interchange.

Sarsilmaz and Tanfoglio were partners in the Turkish Market area, at one time.

Thanks for the info.!  I am glad to hear that about the mags. because I want to pick up a few more.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Benjamin Cardozo

Offline Elkhound

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 12:27:35 PM »
Does anyone know if there are any aftermarket grips for the AR 24?  Or, after market sights that fit it?

My old eyes really have a much easier time picking up fiber optic sights, rather then white dots. 

Elkhound
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Benjamin Cardozo

Offline Elkhound

More Armalite AR 24s than I thought were out there!
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 04:05:58 PM »
I've got mine now, so I can say I found another on Gunbroker, new in box.  It is going for less than 365.00 now, so somebody should get a bargain.

Again, not my auction, as I just bought one yesterday. 

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=348846009
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Benjamin Cardozo

Offline Elkhound

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 05:01:52 PM »
Picked up my AR 24 today.   It got here in two days and in excellent condition, nib.  Now, I just have to take it out and give it a try.  First things first, though, I don't have any 9mm ammo. and the stuff I have on order is 115 gr and the AR 24 apparently likes 124 gr. Sounds like a perfectly good reason to have to buy more ammo!
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Benjamin Cardozo

Offline Bret

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 05:30:23 PM »
the stuff I have on order is 115 gr and the AR 24 apparently likes 124 gr. Sounds like a perfectly good reason to have to buy more ammo!
Yes it does.  It's not that the Armalite likes 115gr over the 124gr.  It's that it likes hotter ammo.  124gr is typically hotter than 115gr, so many people assume that it's the bullet weight.  I have some Fiocchi 115gr FMJ that's very hot.  If a pistol won't cycle with this ammo, then something's wrong.  I also have some Federal American Eagle 124gr FMJ.  It's a more tame load that won't always work 100% in pistols that want hot ammo.  I don't consider that a problem with the ammo though.  It's just that you have to find the ammo that your pistol likes.

anything