Author Topic: CZ 99 - I learned something else new  (Read 1460 times)

Offline Sancho

CZ 99 - I learned something else new
« on: July 06, 2013, 10:02:51 AM »
I see that Cabales Gun Library lists a CZ 99.  I never knew that they existed.  Sure looks like a Sig 226.  It is a 40 S&W with a decocker.  Anyone have any recent experience with one?

Sancho

I was already despicable, long before it was cool!

Offline skucera

Re: CZ 99 - I learned something else new
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 12:57:50 AM »
The CZ 99 is actually a Serbian pistol made by Zastava.  It's not a Czech CZ.

The confusion comes from the fact that "CZ" on its own is not a trademarkable name.  There are many companies that use the initials "CZ," such as CZ Brno, CZ Uherzky Brod, CZ Praha, and CZ Strakonice.  All these companies made firearms, but even before WW2 some of these armories branched out into other sorts of manufacturing.  CZ Strakonice branched out into bicycle parts, and after WW2 was merged with the Jawa motorcycle factory (under communism) to make CZ motorcycles.  The biggest irony is that Zastava's own initials were "CZ" for "Crvena Zastava," which translates into "Zastava Arms."

The clever marketers at Zastava, realizing that they could use the CZ name to sell some of their own pistols, created several "CZ" pistols of their own design, starting with the CZ 99 and followed up by the CZ 999.  They are good pistols, but not usually followed here on these CZ forums.

Scott

Offline miguel

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 04:02:36 AM »
I have just one correction to the accurate post made by skucera. Crvena Zastava is not translated into Zastava Arms, but it means "Red Flag".

Offline JimThornTX

• It ain't easy being green.
    • Texas State Rifle Association
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 04:17:09 PM »
CZ 999 in 9mm and 40S&W for only $350. Very tempting.

http://www.classicfirearms.com/hand-guns/cz9999comp

BTW - the newest models now come with a rail and are known as the EZ-9 and EZ-40.
CZ 52
CZ 82
CZ 83 Satin Nickel
CZ 75 P-01 ODG
CZ 75 P-06
CZ 612 HD

Offline skucera

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 12:33:26 AM »
I stand corrected.  My tenuous grasp of Slavic languages comes back to bite me again. :P  Although, I should have figured it out when I saw that "crvena" was similar to "?erven?."  Duh!

Thank you for setting me straight, Miguel.

Scott

anything