Author Topic: .223 bolt action rifle bolt damage after case head failure  (Read 7626 times)

Offline buddy.223

Re: .223 bolt action rifle bolt damage after case head failure
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 06:54:51 PM »
showed your photos round my local range no one  had ever seen a cz 527 with damage like that, most like my self thought them virtually indistructable some of the guys thought it looked like a head spacing problem either with the rifle or a misshaped round, some insisting there had to be a barrel obstruction.  I know its hard to remember but did the bolt close snugly on the chambered rounds ,any sticky bolt lifts ect.   whats been the response from the dealer, cz , ammo supplier, im very interested in how this pans out.

Offline mauserand9mm

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 08:03:57 PM »
I would probably rule out a headspacing issue. Signs of excessive headspace would include fail to fire first time. Also head separations are relatively minor events in bolt guns - often you won't notice anything until you extract the head of the case.

Offline bobanddog

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 10:36:01 PM »
Agreed.  Headspace issues excessive or insufficient would be evident right away.  I've seen ruptured cases from excess headspace, they usually fail around the bottleneck, not the base.  Insufficient headspace is often indicated on closing the bolt before even firing.
"I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing."

Izaak Walton

Offline sirgilligan

• Gun Log SPC
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 11:34:08 PM »
showed your photos round my local range no one  had ever seen a cz 527 with damage like that, most like my self thought them virtually indistructable some of the guys thought it looked like a head spacing problem either with the rifle or a misshaped round, some insisting there had to be a barrel obstruction.  I know its hard to remember but did the bolt close snugly on the chambered rounds ,any sticky bolt lifts ect.   whats been the response from the dealer, cz , ammo supplier, im very interested in how this pans out.

I haven't heard any more news. He did say the previous round was not a squib.

Offline buddy.223

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 07:14:58 AM »
any further news

Offline sirgilligan

• Gun Log SPC
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2013, 06:57:32 PM »
Last I heard they were blaming the ammo and they had got a new bolt for their rifle. That's all I know. Given that, I wonder if there will be an ammo recall? I personally don't shoot that ammo to begin with, and now I am not going to start. I have always had good luck with PMC and Hornady.

anything