Author Topic: The SAR K2-45  (Read 2207 times)

Offline Lamrith

The SAR K2-45
« on: August 15, 2013, 09:01:31 AM »
Sorry Skiing fans, while the Ski season is approaching, this is not a review on this years "New hotness".  Nor is it about that famous scene in the 80's classic "Better off dead".  I may date myself, but I still want my $2.00.

This story starts in June when I was able to take my wife out for her 1st time shooting a gun.  She did GREAT and asked to go again a few days later and shot well that day too.  She did not care for my pistol the second trip.   :(  Fast forward a month and I got her to go to an indoor range where we rented a number of 9mm pistols just to give her exposure to different styles.  The last pistol I had her shoot was my pistol.  After 5 rounds from my pistol she shook her head and I heard:
Quote from: lamrith's wife
I HATE your pistol
:o :'(

Now some people would take that as a kick to the junk and be upset and insulted.  But I know better, see that to me says "GO FIND ANOTHER GUN!"  Well that is what my brain heard, that's my story and I am sticking to it!

That freed me up to consider other options for a home gun.  I could not have our primary home defense weapon be one the wife is scared of.  I had limited but criteria at the onset, All steel and Accy rail required, 9mm preferred.  I researched a bit and rented a number of pistols @ WCA Bellevue, I settled on the CZ75 design.  I wanted a SP01 or witness clone since they both had the Accy rail, but as mentioned on numerous forums they proved to be unobtanium.  A buddy said I needed to check out a SARSILMAZ K2.  I had considered a .45 before, but not given it too much thought.

Friday at Cabelas I saw one in the case and got the chance to hold one for the 1st time.  1st gut opinion was that it felt like it belonged in my hand.  Large round grip, filled my hand very well, it felt a bit like a Beretta 92.  I was short on time and left the store empty handed.  I spent Friday night and all day Sat researching the K2.  Review after review was positive, no negative reviews on quality or durability.  Numerous reports on how low the felt recoil was.  Best yet, was that people were paying $550 for them online, then paying shipping and FFL fees and happy to do so.  Cabelas had it in stock for $499.99!  I got up early Sunday went down and bought the K2 when the store opened.

The hard plastic case contains: Gun, two 14round magazines, plastic cleaning rod, cotton bore brush, trigger lock, sight tools and manual.  Sorry for the grainy picts, my primary camera died, these are cellphone shots for now.

Features:  As mentioned this is a clone of the CZ design in a bigger package.  I am told it is a large frame CZdesing similar to a CZ97.  This is a .45ACP Double stack holding 14+1.  It has an Accy rail, adjustable sights and DA/SA trigger.  The gun is set-up for right handers just like the CZ’s.  It has left side mounted lock out thumb safety that locks the trigger and hammer, slide lock/takedown lever and magazine release.  This can be carried hammer down, DA first shot, or hammer back condition 1.  It has firing pin block mechanism as well so it cannot fire if dropped, only if the trigger is pulled.  Mag release works smoothly, however the mag only drops via gravity, it is not pushed out of the gun by any spring load.

One important note.  They ziptie the gun closed at the factory.  The problem is when they run the ziptie thru the loaded chamber port they can pinch it between the barrel and slide.  This in effect seizes the two together.  I was unable to move the slide at all to line up the disassembly marks or cycle the weapon.  I actually had to push the nose of the slide against a solid object to line up the disassembly marks.  Once I removed the takedown lever, I then had to push the butt of the slide against the same object to get the slide off the frame.  I then had to push the breach of the barrel on a desk corner to get it to drop from the slide and remove the zip tie.

This picture is after I got it free..

Picture of the pinched ziptie:

It had machine oil in moving areas, but was not caked in any heavy oily coating or cosmoline that would require soaking to remove.  It would have functioned fine as is, but I did a quick field strip, clean and wipe down.  Put some oil on the rail and barrel lugs, back together and function check, the slide was smooth as silk!

I finally got to take it to the range Tuesday.  I put a variety of ammo through it, it ate everything I fed it with no issues.  The targets were hung upside down, I got there just as they were getting ready to go hot range so had to rush and hang them.  I was actually pulling shots to the Left.
25Rounds of Herters 230G FMJ
25Rounds of S&B 230G FMJ: I was still bringing the sights into adjustment and getting my grip settled and used to a .45 and the large grip on this gun.

50Rounds of American Eagle 230G FMJ:  This is the dirtiest, nastiest ammo I have ever fired!  It was throwing so much debris that my arms were covered in soot after 20rounds!

6 rounds of PDX1 230G Bonded HP:

I am not a very experienced shooter, but here are my thoughts on the guns performance.
The DA trigger is stiff as it should be, really no surprise there.  In SA there is some take up, then the trigger has some creep, but it is smooth and consistent and breaks nicely.  No gravel driveway feel to it, no increase or falling off at break point, just a nice crisp release.    Out of the box I did have to adjust the rear sight a bit, it was shooting way left.  I brought the rear sight over a notch and she was on line.  The Safety is a hair far back on the frame for me.  My M&P had extremely good ergo’s and the safety sat right under your thumb, so I am a bit spoiled.  The K2 Safety sits just behind the knuckle, but is solid and positive action.  The mags hold 14, but the last rounds are very tight to the point of almost binding.  I ran the mags from full and never had a feed problem. 

Felt recoil is shockingly low, I was very pleasantly surprised given it is my first .45.  I have shot a few .45acp before, but nothing was this smooth.  I put it on par with 9mm steel pistols like a CZ75b or a Beretta 92, but without the snap.  It is a smooth shooter and comes back on target quickly.  I found it more enjoyable to shoot than my old M&P9fs.  The only "failure" as it were was a few times it did not lock the slide back on empty, but this is more likely due to me riding the slide lock than a gun issue.

I give this pistol a definite two thumbs up .  It handles and shoots like a gun many hundreds of dollars more expensive.  It is simply an incredible value.  If you are at all considering the jump to .45acp I HIGHLY recommend this piece.  If you are already a 45 fan and thinking about a new rig, give it a try it is a very fun to shoot pistol.  Plus 14+1 of .45acp makes for a nice HD gun.
@$499.99 it is a real Steel!  ::) :P
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 05:47:34 PM by jwc007 »
Shield 9mm(EDC), SAR K2 w/ TLR4 (Home securty system)

Offline Brian Ahearn

• Easton Firearms Refinishing
Re: The K2
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 02:14:17 PM »
We have been discussing these pistols in this section for about a year and a half now -glad you found out what a value these are i have 2 myself they are fantastic shooters  besides being easy on your wallet.
Easton Firearms Refinishing Owner/Operator
NRA Pistol Instructor
CZ Collector

Offline nalioth

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 05:29:40 PM »
One important note.  They ziptie the gun closed at the factory.  The problem is when they run the ziptie thru the loaded chamber port they can pinch it between the barrel and slide.  This in effect seizes the two together.
The zip tie is a gift from Cabelas, I believe.

Also, you have a K2/45.  This name distinguishes it from the K2P (polymer frame 9mm) and the upcoming K2/10 (as in 10mm).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 05:31:21 PM by nalioth »

Nalioth's service awards

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
Re: The SAR K2-45
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 05:47:05 PM »
Congratulations on your new SAR K2-45 and Welcome to the Forum!  8)

I have one too, and like it alot! Here is my review of it. http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=55292.0

Has you Wife shot it yet?  You got a good price on it and prices seem to be coming down a bit more as the "panic" seems to be dying down.

From Left to Right
EAA Witness .45 (1992)
EAA Witness .45 (2004)
SAR K2-45
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

Offline jlucas50

Really enjoyed your review.
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 08:50:21 PM »
'twernt for my obsession with CZ97's...... I just don't know if I would be able to improve upon them. Glad you've found a winner!

Offline Lamrith

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 09:41:41 PM »
One important note.  They ziptie the gun closed at the factory.  The problem is when they run the ziptie thru the loaded chamber port they can pinch it between the barrel and slide.  This in effect seizes the two together.
The zip tie is a gift from Cabelas, I believe.

Also, you have a K2/45.  This name distinguishes it from the K2P (polymer frame 9mm) and the upcoming K2/10 (as in 10mm).
I thought it was a Cabelas addition as well, but I commented to a friend that works the gun counter there and he said they came in that way.  But he took my comments and was going to forward to management, so they can avoid pissed customers.  It took quite a bit of force to remove, more than I think most  people would be willing to  use.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 01:36:14 AM »
I bought my Dealers Display Model SAR K2-45 ( only one left ) so I did not have any zip ties to deal with!  :)

I am soooooooooo not disappointed!  8)

Just bought a Canik 55 TP-9 and it also came zip tied in the same manner, and my FFL Dealer promptly removed it, on sight.
I think he was mumbling something under his breath as he removed it.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 01:39:19 AM by jwc007 »

Offline Lamrith

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 11:55:09 PM »
Another trip to the range, I am about out of .45 ammo, so I only shot a few rounds (I spent the morning on rifle range).  Actually called it a day after the 5th round which was a flier...

Let a buddy shoot it and after 5rounds he turned and said. "I gotta get one."

Best part was he already own's a witness 40.  Both of his holsters for the witness fit the K2!  He had a Galco OWB and a Galco IWB.  hoping I can get a crossbreed style that fits.  I am using an aliengear for my shield and it is just tooo big, specially for such a small pistol like a shield..

Offline mattwestm

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 09:31:42 PM »
All of my SAR pistols have come with those zip ties. They are VERY difficult to remove. I usually push the muzzle into the ground which breaks the fused plastic.

Offline Lamrith

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 09:09:21 PM »
I spent some time with my buddy @ cabelas friday, trying some holsters out 1st hand..

A Galco King Tuck for a P226 worked pretty darn good.  The part that catches is the right side protusion of the slide lock/takedown.  It slid in just fine but you could feel the protusion bump as you holstered.  retention was very good, but not so tight that it affected draw.  It also fit in one for an M&P, but that one was very tight and added resistance to draw..

I will not go out on a limb and say all 226 holsters will work, as the king tuck is open barrel, but similar designed holsters would probably work well..  Crossbreed, Thies, etc..

Offline syhwig

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 10:17:53 PM »
Can any owner of this and EAA large frame compare their grips sizes?  Is this gun's grip as big as EAA large frame full size?

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 02:09:27 AM »
Can any owner of this and EAA large frame compare their grips sizes?  Is this gun's grip as big as EAA large frame full size?

The K2-45's Grip is a good bit Larger than the Witness .45's Grip.

Offline Smitty79

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 02:30:50 PM »
Has anyone found a way to get night sights on one of these?   I want to use it for CDP and as a night stand gun.
CZ85B, SAR K2 45, Dan Wesson Heritage and Oh yes, some Glocks,  a Ruger, Smith wheel gun and a Kahr.