Author Topic: 127gr Ranger +P+  (Read 3007 times)

Offline kobus

127gr Ranger +P+
« on: August 10, 2013, 01:07:08 PM »
i bought a box of Winchester Ranger law enforcement ammo today for SD.  i will test some of them over my chrono when i go to the range next Saturday.

anyone who fired these please chime in with you thoughts on this ammo.  i have never used them before and i'm curious to know how they perform.

i will also post my findings once i've tested some of them.
guns don't kill people. NINJAS kill people.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
Re: 127gr Ranger +P+
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 02:38:29 PM »
I do believe the Winchester Ranger are specifically made for law enforcement. Expect a fast bullet with a lot of penetration. I surely wouldn't shoot these in a crowd !!
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 02:50:33 PM »
I carry and shoot Win Ranger 124gr +p in my 226 for work. Can't say as I notice much difference between them and the BHA 147gr I used before. I changed because the Win was on sale but +P+? Meh. I wouldn't waste my money. FWIW, I can't imagine any department authorizing +P+ anything. Liability is too great
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline JimThornTX

• It ain't easy being green.
    • Texas State Rifle Association
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 11:14:44 PM »
I have some of this ammo. Shot in through my P-01. It is HOT. Don't have a chronograph and didn't shoot at a target for accuracy (was at the deer lease) so I can't comment on those aspects but I can definitely say it is a HOT load based on recoil.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 11:16:22 PM by JimThornTX »
CZ 52
CZ 82
CZ 83 Satin Nickel
CZ 75 P-01 ODG
CZ 75 P-06
CZ 612 HD

Offline Xenogy

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 02:06:23 AM »
This has been my carry load for the past 8 years.
Robust expansion
11.5-13" penetration
Talons cut tissue well
Very low flash perhaps less than gold dot 124gr +p
VERY accurate load in CZs, Glock, M&P I have put it through
Can have some jacket separation issues especially hitting bone in actual shootings
Poor performance through auto glass
Appears to burn clean
Bullet and jacket have a nice polish to them from the factory that gives appearance of high quality. Feels slick and feeds well.
Glock 26 and M&P 9c I chronoed around 1210fps average
Primers are sealed
The brass is superb for reloading. Generally nickel plated brass is terrible for reloading but these hold up better than Win, Federal, Speer, and Blazer brass mixture I have been running with them

Good load unless you need something with barrier penetration. I read a story a few years back that a guy put 2 of these in a dog and neither one exited. Likely had jacket separation.

Superior loads to consider would be Speer Gold Dot and Federal HST.

Offline kobus

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 05:15:42 AM »
sd ammo is not readily available in South Africa and therefore i take what i can get or reload with XTP bullets.  i always test any sd ammo i buy before i start carrying it.  my concern is that i may damage my pistol during testing with this ammo as there is a note on the box "Pressure Levels Exceed Industry Standards". (which make sense for +P+).

Jim. these seem to be the same as what you have in a different coloured box.

Wobbly. when we use firearms for self defense in our beautiful country it is usually in our homes against 3 to 6 armed attackers. no big chance of hitting innocent bystanders.

Xenogy. thanks for all the useful info.

so do you guys think it will be ok to test 5 each of these at the range in p07, shadow, 75 ?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 05:19:07 AM by kobus »

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 07:59:31 AM »
Wobbly. when we use firearms for self defense in our beautiful country it is usually in our homes against 3 to 6 armed attackers. no big chance of hitting innocent bystanders.

Said that because I separate the power factor that police need to shoot through glass and other barriers, versus what the average citizen needs to stop a perp in a confrontation at 7 feet. I know you don't fit into this category, but the average American concealed carry guy doesn't realize they don't need (and probably can't handle) police grade ammo. Winchester Ranger is the real stuff.

Offline kobus

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 11:00:56 AM »
thanks Wobbly. i understand what you are saying and i really hope i never have to fire these at anyone.

Offline Xenogy

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 11:52:43 AM »
Looks like the same ammo to me. It looks like they just went to a new packaging.

Your guns should be fine to shoot a box or two no problem unless you have a lighter aftermarket recoil spring installed. I have a couple hundred rounds of +p+ through each of my carry guns. Just make note of your POI at various ranges. These are like a laser and usually track close to 115gr loads. Which is a good thing because factory sights are usually dialed in for 115gr loads. Angus from Team CZ mentioned that he carries Gold Dot 147gr +P+ in his PCR.

Ballistics test

Awesome video for CZ fans. Angus comments on +P and +P+ ammo also

« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 12:01:18 PM by Xenogy »

Offline JimThornTX

• It ain't easy being green.
    • Texas State Rifle Association
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 11:33:31 PM »
Jim. these seem to be the same as what you have in a different coloured box.

Yes it's the same ammo (RA9TA) just a different box. Old box is brown, new box is black.
CZ 52
CZ 82
CZ 83 Satin Nickel
CZ 75 P-01 ODG
CZ 75 P-06
CZ 612 HD

Offline kobus

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 05:40:56 AM »
ok. so here's my test results with these over my Pro-Chrono Digital +/- 5m from the muzzle at the range yesterday. published velocity for this ammo is 1236fps at 5m.

5 shot average in my P07 Duty
1257 fps ; extreme spread 25 ; standard deviation 10 ; group at 10m free standing 55mm.

5 shot average in my SP01 Shadow
1276 fps ; extreme spread 31 ; standard deviation 11 ; group at 10m free standing 40mm.

i am sure that i can get better groups with pistols rested.

this ammo does have quite a kick even in the Shadow but a lot more in the Duty.  good sd ammo.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 08:32:03 AM »

Old box is brown, new box is black.

As we all know, black is more dangerous.   O0
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 08:36:23 AM by Wobbly »