Author Topic: RAMI failure to feed  (Read 13047 times)

Offline CZTom

RAMI failure to feed
« on: September 14, 2013, 10:20:18 PM »
I have a brand new 9mm RAMI BD, about 2 months old, and with about 400 rounds thru it now.  After I shoot about 50 rounds, I start getting a couple of failures to feed (on every magazine).  I have used several magazines, all of them CZ factory or Mec-Gar, and they all work flawlessly in my P-01, except the shorter ones for the RAMI only.  I notice that there is a lot of power residue on the barrel's feed ramp. When I clean the ramp and barrel with a bore-snake, it works fine again until the residue builds up again.  I do not have this problem with my P-01 or P-06.  I was thinking I would polish the feed ramp.  I have not polished any pistol internals before, but have read up on that.  Any other ideas that might help?  Does the RAMI just collect more residue that the other pistols, or is something unusual going on.  Note, the failures to feed all seem to have the nose of the bullet stuck against the lower portion of the feed ramp (almost horizontal rather than tipped-up much), with the slide not going forward.  I always just pull the slide back quickly and release it, and the slide itself shoves the cartridge into the chamber.  Is this something I should contact CZ-USA about, like for warranty repair or try to do something myself?
Ideas???
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 01:01:20 AM by CZTom »
--Tom

Offline Jason James

• CZ fan
Re: RAMI failure to feed
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 11:08:14 PM »
I also have had ftf with my alloy 40, it's been to
CZ (polished feed ramp & replaced 7rd magazine spring)
l noticed the more rds thru the more ftf, l just installed
Wolff springs (for cz compact)in the magazines tonight and am anxious to
see results. Getting the feed ramp polished can only help.
Red alot of forums about ftf's & polishing the feed ramp
& stronger magazine springs seems to be the fix.
REALLY like the Rami & hoping to make it reliable.
Jason James

Offline Birds Away

• OSCM(SW/AW) USN (Ret.)
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 06:08:25 AM »
My RAMI (9mm safety model) had some of the same issues.  During the ammo shortage I have been shooting reloads from a friend of mine.  He has been varying the loads to find the "sweet spot" for each CZ model that we own (several each).  We have discovered that the RAMI, unlike other CZs, is sensitive to shorter OAL.  I don't have the measurements handy but the threshold for reliability is not as great as with my other CZs (which will shoot most anything).  Anyway, check the ammo you have been shooting and see if some are a bit shorter.  I know this doesn't explain the fact that it seems to get worse as you shoot more.  Mine does not seem to be sensitive in that way.  Just from reading on this forum and others, it seems the RAMI in .40 seems to have issues that don't exist in the 9mm.  Might just be my perception.  Anyway, best of luck on searching for a solution to your problems.
In Memoriam 04/02/2021

Offline CZTom

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 08:30:39 AM »
Just for the record, shooting my two month old 9 mm RAMI BD yesterday, I shot 1 box of Winchester jacketed self-defense hollow points 147 grain and one box of Federal Lawman 124 grain FMJ.  Neither is cheap ammo.  Both caused failures to feed in each magazine, after about 40 rounds. 
--Tom

Offline JAM

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 05:03:18 PM »
My RAMI does not like 147 gr so I stay away from it.  In this case I see it as a small pain rather than a serious issue.

Offline CZTom

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 12:52:48 PM »
I just talked to John at the CZ-USA warranty department.  He said that the small RAMI was not meant to be a range gun, but a pocket/carry gun, and that I should use my larger P-01 or P-06 for my range gun. He said the RAMI recoil spring is good for about 600 rounds, then should be replaced.  I had about 400 rounds, maybe more (I was not keeping an exact record), thru the RAMI.  So, he said he would send me a new recoil (outer) spring and to try that first.  If that did not end the failure to feed problems, then he would have me send the gun in for them to look at. 

Also, I told him that the problem seems to be getting worse, as I shoot it more, which makes sense, given John's explanation.

As stated on my first post in this thread about my new 9mm RAMI BD: "the failures to feed all seem to have the nose of the bullet stuck against the lower portion of the feed ramp (almost horizontal rather than tipped-up much), with the slide not going forward.  I always just pull the slide back quickly and release it, and the slide itself shoves the cartridge into the chamber."  Also, this happened when there was "a lot of power residue on the barrel's feed ramp".  John said that with the powder residue buildup, that it might possibly be just enough extra resistance to overcome the RAMI weakened recoil spring's ability to ram the slide forward.

So, if any of you are experiencing any similar failure to feed problems in a RAMI, replacing the RAMI recoil (outer) spring might be something you might want to try. 

I will post more info after I receive the new recoil spring and try it out.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 12:56:42 PM by CZTom »
--Tom

Offline JAM

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 03:18:26 PM »
I will go with what John says but I wonder: 1) If you do not shoot your CC gun for practice how are you supposed to get better?
2)Besides the outer recoil spring, are there other parts that need to be changed if one was to shoot a few thousand rounds over a few year period?

Offline CZTom

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 05:47:20 PM »
JAM,
I don't know. 
However, John did first talk about opening the "lips" of the magazines, until I told him that I had about 10 of them, including all the ones for my P-01, and that they all worked fine in the P-01, but they all had problems with the RAMI. 
I then looked for aftermarket springs from Wolff for the RAMI recoil spring and for the RAMI magazines, but I did not find any.
--Tom
--Tom

Offline Jason James

• CZ fan
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 06:12:06 PM »
Tom
Look at (springs & ftf) on the forum.
I started those cuz l was having the same problems.
I ordered Wolff springs for (CZ compact/Tanfolio)
& installed them in a 7rd & 2  9rd magazines, feeling
the difference in tension is night and day from the stock
CZ springs to the Wolff springs. Going to put 100+ thru
tonight and I'll post results.
I opened the magazine lips on 2 and it fixed the ftf
BUT caused the slide from fully engaging the next rd.
I would then push the slide closed with my thumb (really easy)
and fire the next rd.      Jason
Jason James

Offline CZTom

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 06:36:02 PM »
Jason James,
I wonder if just opening the forward edge of the magazine lips would help, letting the cartridge "nose" tip up a little, but not opening the rear edge of the magazine lips so as to allow the slide to move forward without getting possibly snagged on the rear edge of the magazine lip. ????

Anyway, I am going to try the new recoil (outer) spring from CZ-USA.  If that works, I might try Wolff springs in the magazines, but I think I will hold off on making any modifications to the magazine "body/lips".   I wonder if the Wolff springs for the "compact" size magazine would be too strong for the shorter 10 rnd (9mm) or 7/9 rnd (40mm) magazines.   I don't know if a magazine spring can be too strong?????

Thanks,
--Tom

Offline Jason James

• CZ fan
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 06:54:52 PM »
Tom
I opened the front 1/3 of the lips up.
I don't know about "too strong of spring" red how
the longer magazine spring may cause you to lose
a rd in the magazine but that didn't happen to me.
I've compared my G27 and Rami magazine lips and
the Glocks front of the lips is actually angeled
(less of a lip).
Oh , I also got 2 Wolff springs for my G27 (cc for 2yrs)
for when the time comes to replace
& 1 spring size fits all size Glocks. Interesting!
Jason James

Offline CZTom

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 07:03:20 PM »
quote:  "1 spring size fits all size Glocks"

Is that the recoil spring or the magazine spring?
--Tom

Offline Jason James

• CZ fan
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 07:08:28 PM »
Magazine spring
How do you post a picture? Using my smart phone and
I can't get to my images to post the Rami & Glock magazine
Picture so you can see the difference. Phone must be too
smart for me
Jason James

Offline CZTom

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 07:20:32 PM »
Don't know how to post a picture. :-[
--Tom

Offline BGlas

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 10:00:13 PM »
Upload them to a photo hosting site like photobucket, then copy the code provided into your post.