Author Topic: New CZ527  (Read 573 times)

Offline Scrumbag

New CZ527
« on: October 15, 2013, 06:17:44 AM »
Hi folks,

Am looking for opinions on a set up which will be my first CZ centrefire rifle.

Am looking for mainly a rifle for targets @ 300m, how long the club range is. However, I'm also looking for a rifle which will closely replicate my my hunting rifles. (Which are all Mauser type actions)

My thinking is:

CZ527 Lux in .223
Scoped (have a 3-9 scope I think I will use)
Perhaps get a bipod for it to help shooting prone at 300m

So I have the following questions:

1) Is it worth thinking about another model of 527?
2) Can I use the GP90 (63gr) 5.56x45 that is cheap Swiss Surplus
3) Is the Lux stock stiff enough for bipod use
4) Scope mounting - can't remember if objective is 36 or 42mm but advice on scope mounting would be gratefulluy recieved
5) is there anyone who makes a 3 position Win. Model 70 type safety for the 527?

Folks, thanks in advance for your input and I look forward to hearing your input!

ATB,

Scrummy
I was sure I had a point when I started this post...

Offline painter

• Frosty's Finishes
Re: New CZ527
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 06:47:59 AM »
You might want to consider a model with a 1:9 twist for 63 gr ammo. I believe it's called a Varmint

I've shot 60gr from my FS with a 1:12 twist, but it was not as accurate as a lighter bullet.

The bolt handle can hit some scopes. High rings and or a modified bolt handle will solve those issues.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Scrumbag

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 06:51:37 AM »
Thanks for the input Painter.

Can you get a pre-made modified bolt handle to cope with scopes?

Offline painter

• Frosty's Finishes
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 07:02:31 AM »
Thanks for the input Painter.

Can you get a pre-made modified bolt handle to cope with scopes?
CZ-USA sells it in the online store as the 'new style'. Not a terrible price IMO.

Many just use high rings and are fine. Some don't like the cheek weld with the higher rings. I have stock CZ rings on mine and it works for me. The rear sight did have to be removed.

You should try your set up. One nice thing about the Varmint model is they don't have factory sights which can also interfere with scopes.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline bobanddog

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 10:04:36 AM »
I have a 527 American in .223.  I like it as a walking hunting rifle, the stock is very comfortable for field carry and off-hand shooting.  The stock has a straight comb more appropriate for using optics (in fact the American and the Varmint have no sights).  If you're looking at longer range shooting with 62 grain bullets and thinking about using a bipod anyway, then I too would suggest going with the Varmint.  You'll get the 1 in 9" twist, a longer, slightly heavier barrel and a somewhat fatter fore-end on the stock, yet it still won't be any heavier than your typical full size hunting rifle, if you're going to carry it afield.

I use a Leupold 6x36mm scope mounted on Burris rings with the factory bolt handle, there is still room for a larger scope, but be wary of the trend towards fat power rings and ocular bells (the lens dimensions are often deceptively small, it seems to be all about styling).

I don't know about a three position safety for the 527.  CZ does offer some 550 models with one. 
"Good company and good discourse are the very sinews of virtue."  Izaak Walton

Offline buddy.223

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 10:33:44 AM »
cz varmint would be my choice , more accurate, 1-9 twist better bullet range, more shots before barrel heats up, would prefere a 12-18 power scope my self, stock choice up to your self , i have the laminate one which i found a little short, the latest kevlar one looks fantastic, i also have the 1-12 american, which is a fantastic hunting rifle (never use it at the range) it loves 40-50g heads.  i have both my bolt handles modified, more important on the american to get the scope close to the bore, its a mod easily done yourself, use warne meds on both rifles, i now totally reload, and never used mil surp, but know guys that do and its poor as is  the cheap steel cased ammo, all but the plastic m1 stocks are fine with bipods (it is a piece of ----).

Offline Scrumbag

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 10:38:24 AM »
Thanks folks, food for thought. Not sure I'm so worried about the bipod. I don't want something too easy to shoot at 300m. Though the Varmint is only a bit more cost wise and ~1lb heavier.... Hmmm, one to mull over.

Thanks for the input folks, keep it coming!

Scrummy

Offline bobanddog

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 03:08:45 PM »
Then I suggest you pick up an American and see how it feels (if there was a thumbs up icon I'd put it here). 
Maybe that's your best course of action, find out what's available that you can actually pick up and handle, and see what feels right.
"Good company and good discourse are the very sinews of virtue."  Izaak Walton

Offline Scrumbag

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 03:23:37 PM »
Bobanddog, sounds like an interesting proposition...

Certainly more "sporter" profile as my hunting rifles are. Still varmint is interesting...

Hmmm, more to thing on.

Scrummy

anything