Author Topic: Failure to go into battery sometimes (pretty sure it's the mag)  (Read 1370 times)

Offline adayton

Failure to go into battery sometimes (pretty sure it's the mag)
« on: November 08, 2013, 12:04:07 PM »
I acquired a CZ 40B in a trade... with box, paperwork and 2 mags (the mags are different, though... both hold 10 rounds, but one is marked with 12, 14, 16 status holes)
I am the second owner and was told by the original owner that it has seen very little use.
The issue I have is only with the one mag (the one marked with the higher number of rounds...), so I am assuming the mag is the culprit...as it works flawlessly with the other.
I will try and upload pics of both when I can.
I did notice that when I loaded the mag in question and then tried to unload it just by 'thumbing' the bullets out that they get hung on the front lip of the mag right where the bullet meets the cartridge case and there is a little lip...
So I took a rat tail file and beveled the front edge of the mag and it made some difference in the unloading of the bullets by hand... as the filing smoothed (or polished) the front edge some...
Then I noticed that the bullets were held a little tighter by the lips of the mag, so instead of trying to bend the lips, I again took my trusty file and took a little metal off the inside edges of the lips in the front... thereby polishing it some as well...
Now, the bullets all unload by hand (thumb) easily...
Next step is taking it to the range and checking it out...
It actually seems like the mag in question is narrower at the lips .... Could it be a mag for 9mm and not for .40 S&W? as the mag that works well is actually marked .40 S&W and the mag that has a problem is not caliber marked... that I can see...
Anyway, any help here would be appreciated.
Thanx,
Allan

Offline BGlas

Re: Failure to go into battery sometimes (pretty sure it's the mag)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 01:04:09 PM »
If it has witness holes for 16rds, I'm pretty sure it is a 9mm mag.

Offline adayton

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 01:24:03 PM »
Here are a couple pics of the 'work' I did on the mag...

Well... doesn't look like I can post any pics (or maybe I don't know the procedure...)

Offline adayton

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 01:26:46 PM »
bglas,
that makes sense as it looks like the lips are narrower (which they would be for 9mm) ... but since the rounds are the same length, I know that with some firearms, the 9mm and .40 mags are interchangeable ... maybe in this case, they are not and that is why I am having to 'modify' the lips to get it to work ...

I will be heading to the range this afternoon and will report back on how my mods worked (if at all)  ;D

Thanx for your info...

Offline BGlas

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 01:27:47 PM »
Upload them to a photo hosting site (like photobucket).  Then use the IMG tag they provide for sharing and paste it into your post.