Author Topic: Moving to NC. Tips and things I should know.  (Read 338 times)

Offline MattЯ

Moving to NC. Tips and things I should know.
« on: November 15, 2013, 02:24:26 PM »
Well, it looks like I will be moving with my job.  My new place of residence will likely be in NC.  I could possibly push to move to VA or even SC as well, but NC would probably make the most sense as most of my work would be around the Charlotte area.  So my question to the group is what do the gun laws look like and how is the gun culture in that neck of the woods?  Are there any good ranges or can I shoot on private property?  Where is a good area to live (cost of living, schools, amenities, etc)?  Please don't hold back if you have any tips or relevant info, doesn't even have to be gun related, as it is greatly appreciated. 

Offline blue ridge

Re: Moving to NC. Tips and things I should know.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 02:59:47 PM »
I can't speak for the Charlotte area, but state gun laws are pretty lax, compared to a lot of the country.  CCWs are issued readily in most counties, open carry is legal, and there is a strong hunting culture.  I always feel like there aren't enough ranges when I travel in the state, but I'd bet the Charlotte area would be an exception.  I'm sure others can tell you much more, but I find it to be a good state to live in if you're a gunny.

Offline levellinebrad

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 05:41:10 PM »
Plenty of ranges in the Charlotte area. Lots of different types of living in and around Charlotte. I live in Lincoln County which is about 20 min north. It is more country living than some of the other areas. Schools are ok. Taxes are great compared to Mecklenburg county. Let us know what kind of area you would be interested in and we could point you in the right direction.
Greed and the struggle for power will rule the day until we the people decide we have had enough.

Offline bozwell

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 07:39:01 PM »
Another nice thing to know about CCW permits here is you avoid having to request a pistol permit from the local sheriff (basically a background check and wait a week, but a hassle) when purchasing a new pistol.  Other than that, I find it's a great place to live.  We have some really nice sporting clays courses too.  Not sure what the closest one is to Charlotte, but I know DeWitt's isn't that far east of Charlotte. 

Offline MattЯ

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 09:40:29 PM »
I don't have to be right in Charlotte and honestly not sure I want to be.  I would like to be close to the city but far enough out to still get the small town feel so to speak.

Offline levellinebrad

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 05:28:43 AM »
Lots of good places to live outside of charlotte. Lake Norman is to the North. Very heavy traffic up in Mooresville and Davidson area. Lake Wylie is to the south west of Charlotte. Gastonia/ Belmont is to the west. A little redneck out there but Belmont not so much. Fort Mill and Rock hill to the south in South Carolina. Lots of development in all these areas, that's why I live where I live. There are some developments in my area but most of the houses here are on land and not part of a development. I had to have some land and I hate living anyplace with an HOA. Starting to get a little crowded even around here. If you get this way and want to do a little looking without using a realestate agent, shoot me a pm and I'll ride you around and show you the area.
Greed and the struggle for power will rule the day until we the people decide we have had enough.

Offline MattЯ

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 08:09:25 AM »
When things get in motion I will probably have to take you up on that.  Will PM when the time comes.

anything