Author Topic: New member from Per?  (Read 1408 times)

Offline SIGLOCK

New member from Per?
« on: December 16, 2013, 07:24:49 PM »
Hi everybody. I?m glad to join this group. My wife, my son and I are IPSC shooters in Peru. I have a question for you: my little daughter (11 years) has begun to shoot with a CZ Kadet (22LR), but she can't pull the slide (she doesn?t have enough force) to chamber the first round. Maybe there is a way to help her: an accessory? any device to implement to the slide? Or any way you can tell me? Thanks so much.
"a family that shoots together, stays together"

Offline Ross7

Re: New member from Per?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 07:47:29 PM »
Hello SIGLOCK and welcome.

Regarding your daughter racking the slide, there's one thing that comes to mind (assuming she's right-handed, otherwise reverse it). Have her to grasp the slide firmly with her left hand and instead of pulling back, push the gun forward with her right hand... not moving the slide-holding left hand at all. Putting a little body and shoulder into a push can sometimes be easier than trying to pull back with simple arm strength.

Hope this helps.

Offline Skookum

• Truth is the new hate speech.
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 08:07:22 PM »
Welcome.

This is an opportunity to teach your daughter that the Rambo approach ? brute strength ? isn't always the best.  Racking the slide can be hard for any women, or one with an infirmed arm or hand, until a good technique is learned, e.g.:

http://www.thewellarmedwoman.com/racking-the-slide-of-your-gun

http://www.corneredcat.com/article/running-the-gun/rack-the-slide/

http://www.usacarry.com/racking-pistol-slide-technique-not-strength/.

When I got my first CZ 83 I was unable to rack the slide without switching hands, because my left shoulder was frozen and nearly useless.  But, I was able to use one of the girlie techniques to get the job done without the juggling of changing hands ? I grabbed the slide over the top with my left hand, held the pistol at my waist, using care to keep it pointed downrange, then punched forward with my right hand while twisting my waist counterclockwise.  This got the job done while keeping my bum left shoulder stationary, and me from whimpering in pain in public.

Skookum
Browning Challenger III, .22 Long Rifle, Glossy Blue
CZ 83, 9 Browning Court, Satin Nickel
CZ 75 Compact, 9 Luger, Dual Tone — Satin Nickel/Matte Blue
CZ 82, 9 Makarov, Czechoslovak People's Army Black
CZ 83, 7.65 Browning, Glossy Blue
Beretta 3032 Tomcat, .32 Auto, Inox

Offline Cali Crash

• Patiently waiting and saving for an ACCU shadow!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 08:29:57 PM »
Welcome from California. Can't wait til my daughters old enough to shoot, for now it's just date nights at the range with the wife. I hope you'll find a lot of helpful suggestions here to help out the daughter.
22LR Kadet kit
9mm CZ75bd (CGW DCP, RRK and E/Z-D sight set)
9mm CZ75b high polish stainless
9mm SP-01 Tactical (CGW DCP, RRK and E/Z-D sight set)
9mm SP-01
9mm P09 (at CGW for PRO-Series "P" package and sights)
9mm P09
45acp 97b

Offline SIGLOCK

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 08:47:29 PM »
Thanks a lot buddies. But I must highlight that actually CZ Kadet model has the slide fixed to frame and there is a moving part with few millimeters thick that works to ?rack? the slide. That is the main reason why my daughter can?t rack it.

Offline SIGLOCK

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 08:52:12 PM »
Here is a pic:

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 09:57:15 PM »
Welcome to the forum from South Texas.

Yes,  that makes it harder.
Have your daughter Turn the gun so it's  like it's laying flat on a table--sideways.  Grasp the rear of the slide with her left hand thumb and finger, and quickly push forward with her right hand.

If that doesn't work,  a good gunsmith might be able to mount a small custom "slide racker" on the side (or both sides) of the slide at the rear.   

Offline Googe1227

• Chiraq CZ Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 10:12:11 PM »
Hello and welcome from Chicago! My 12 year old daughter wants to start shooting and I plan on starting her on my brand new 2 hour old kadet. Let me know what you figure out please.

Offline SIGLOCK

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 11:49:45 PM »
Ross7, Shookum, Cali Crash, 1SOW thanks a lot for your words. We have tried many ways, and will continue trying yours.

If that doesn't work,  a good gunsmith might be able to mount a small custom "slide racker" on the side (or both sides) of the slide at the rear.   

I had thought in a custom device (attached to "slide") but I'm afraid the "slide" will be unbalanced. Is this correct?

Offline SIGLOCK

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 01:27:22 AM »
Hello and welcome from Chicago! My 12 year old daughter wants to start shooting and I plan on starting her on my brand new 2 hour old kadet. Let me know what you figure out please.

Googe1227, this is my own experience (excuse my english): My son begun to shoot carbine 22LR at 8 years (in lying position). I placed the carbine correctly, load rounds, show how to use the telescopic sight, etc. and let him just to pull the trigger. And he was learning, step by step. At 10 begun to shoot a Sig Sauer Mosquito (22LR) and after a few months the CZ Kadet, the first time I load just one round and prepare the gun just to pull the trigger (keeping safety rules every time). Just one round to see how he manages recoil, shot sound, and maybe his fear. Repeating this way many times until I see he could manage more rounds at a time.
My daughter did the same sequence, but carbine at 7 and pistol at 11. She started ?earlier? with carbine by imitation, but she begun ?later? with pistol because she was frightened ?by shot sound?. Well, that was her explanation  :) , now she wants to shoot pistol all the time.
To conclude:  I would prefer to start with carbine (it is easier) and then upload to gun, and . . . kids should want to do it, and they themselves will know when will be ready to face it. Our work (parents) is to take them step by step, stay with them at all times (especially in the case of guns), and teach them safety rules mainly; my kids are very demanding about this. I hope some of my tips will help you.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 01:35:01 AM »
The slide racker can be very small and still make it much easier to rack the slide.  Only a small amount of weight would be added.  Some minor weight could be temporarily added as a test to see if affected the slide cycle. 
I'm NOT a gunsmith, but  I've seen a .22 rimfire pistol used in competition have one when a red dot sight was mounted on top.  It wasn't a kadet, but it operated smoothly. 

A very small post on both sides of the slide should work,   or maybe just on one side of the slide but a little longer.

Someone else may have some experience that will help.

Offline James1

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 02:29:41 AM »
Welcome from Australia mate.
CZ75B Limited Edition.
CZ452 Lux.

Offline sikacz

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 08:06:14 AM »
Welcome from Houston!

Offline Firemanjones

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 09:19:10 AM »
Welcome for South Florida.
Safety First
Living the dream, driving a Fire Engine RETIRED shooting my Guns in FL and the Mountains of NC and visiting family in Mannheim.

Offline s0nspark

• Administrator
  • System Admin
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 09:53:44 AM »

Welcome SIGLOCK :)

I just ordered a Kadet kit so I can start teaching my youngest to shoot. Okay, okay... I also intend to use it myself so I can shoot more - ammo costs money! LOL
"A man's character is his fate."

anything