Author Topic: Just bought an XDs .45  (Read 894 times)

Offline CombatSoldier00

Just bought an XDs .45
« on: February 15, 2014, 09:07:29 PM »
So went to the local gunshop and found a sweet deal on a .45, $499 !!  most places wanted $599-600.  Anyways It is a newer model and so no recall was on this gun.   round count is - 0

CZ 75 p07 duty 9mm (everyday carry)
kel tec pf9
Springfield XD .45
Springfield XDs .45

Offline BGlas

Re: Just bought an XDs .45
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 09:11:50 PM »
I am so used to the short CZ slides, that others look so tall...  Nice find!

Offline oldfrank

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 08:16:43 PM »
My XDS .45 has been my primary carry gun (except when SA had it) for about a year and a half.
I probably have 600 rounds through it and never have had a failure of any kind and I have shot several kinds of ammo through it including my handloaded swc rounds.

I carry it  5+1 and a 7 round extra magazine with an OWB holster. The only thing I have done was add the talon rubber grip as it would get uncomfortable during a long range session with the factory gun.

Great gun, go shoot it and enjoy. :)

Offline muggia59

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 08:36:12 PM »
Fired one of those a couple of years ago, when they first came out. Been kind of curious ever since. Cant seem to find a 45 in that size made by anyone else. Doesn't mean I don't like XD's. Have a 4" myself and have owned a 9 and a 40. Just would love to find a DA/SA close to that same width and length. Had a Rock Island 1911 3.5", but still bulky and heavy. Nice buy.
CZ SP01 Tactical, CZ SP01 Phantom, CZ P07, CZP01, CZCadet kit, CZ Scorpion EVO S1.

Offline Ed Gordon

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 10:13:16 PM »
I got one of these to be my concealed carry piece. it is a snappy little firecracker! Mine is accurate and has not had any failures. I put the Talon grips on it and picked up an extra spare 5 round magazine. I use 185 gr Hornady's in it. It is well built and reliable.
CZ 550 American .243
CZ 452 .22LR
CZ 75BD 9mm
CZ 75B 9mm

Offline ZardozCZ

• Recently returned to shooting and loving it!
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 09:45:23 PM »
Pardon the resurrection of an old thread, but I'm considering buying an XDS for carry, so doing research on them and I respect the members of this forum highly.

For those with these pistols, do you still have them? Still carry them? Still trust your life to them?

My skill is getting better to the point I'm no longer feeling the need for high capacity spray n pray tactics, and do appreciate the thinness of single stack and lighter weight of polymers for summer carry. My searching is showing the XDS to be ahead of most with size weight and reliability scores on many reviews. Have I just been reading marketing hype or do owners concur with these findings?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience with Springfield XDS 45 3.3
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
Aboriginal Proverb

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 10:03:04 PM »
There is a YouTube review comparing the xds and shield 45 side by side on the range. IIRC, the xds choked quite a bit. I ended up buying the shield for edc and am very pleased with it. Not a reflection on the xds, the shield just fit my hand better and at $350 the price was right.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 07:50:45 AM »
I tried an XDS 3.3 in .45 ACP a year ago. This was the shortest relationship I've ever had with a gun. The gun was unreliable with the extended magazine with many feed failures that never went away even after the 500 rnd break in and a replacement extended magazine. The trigger never felt good and seemed to break differently at times.
For the record I have tried a few different striker pistols of this type and never liked any of them at all.
I did recently handle the .45 Shield and I will say that the trigger was of the best I've tried in a striker and the gun does feel good in the hand. Were I to make the striker mistake again that would be my choice.
That's just my opinion,sorry if I sound biased against striker pistols(I'am) they just don't work for me. Others love them
I feel if I'm going too cinch up my belt to hold up a gun it's got to be the perfect gun, CZ PCR.
Honestly though if you really are interested in the XDS style pistol you should handle one in person and a few other brands in the same class and decide for yourself what you feel will best suit your needs.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 09:03:05 AM by SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM »

Offline nonamehavei

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 10:48:38 AM »
I have one I have used for summer carry the past couple years, haven't had any issues out of it, it's not really spectacular like my CZs but it runs when I want it to run and accuracy is acceptable for a pistol this size.
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.
    Douglas Adams

Offline ZardozCZ

• Recently returned to shooting and loving it!
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 11:19:33 PM »
Thanks for the input. I'll be renting a few micro 45s this weekend to know better what suits. All I've found sez the XDS runs flawless but perhaps they only used the smaller mags. Kahrs have issues with extended mags as well.

For carry, intent of this purchase, I'd use the short mag with a longer as backup, else I'd just go with a larger framed pistol.

I tried a PCR but it wasn't as accurate as my P-06, so I traded it for a P-01. Still heavy for carry in summer weight duds. My hand doesn't care for the Rami, and I'd like a slim 45 that doesn't break the bank. Glock is too blocky, have a G27 I keep for camp outs. If I lose it, no heartfelt loss. Won't have another.

Maybe someday a single stack C-10 in 45 will arrive, but I'm not waiting.

I'm just glad there are options and ability to own and carry. I know there are many who'd like to remove our rights, so I am grateful every day.

Thanks!
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
Aboriginal Proverb

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 11:37:53 PM »
My son had one of the very early model 4" bbl XD 45s.  He could shoot that pretty darn well.  We shot some USPSA and he scored well too.
I had a 75B and the club had a deal where shooters could "pair up".  We were "Shoot and Scoot".  He was "Scoot".   ;D ;D  He later got an SP01 Shadow and then HE was both Shoot and Scoot.  :) ;D

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 06:29:17 AM »
I was offered the chance to shoot one at the range a year or so back.

I shot better groups with it than the guy or his wife (he'd bought it for her) and just put a couple magazines through it.  I think it was one of those times where he wasn't happy I'd shot it better and figured it was luck, so he wanted to see if I could do it again.

Lots of recoil in a small package, which makes it harder to keep it from moving on you.

I also don't care for striker fired guns.  Not the trigger pull, not the groups, not the lack of the features that makes me appreciate a reliable, accurate handgun.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline HughB

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 07:06:32 AM »
I have a lot of range time with the 45 caliber XDS, both 3.3 and 4 inch models. Two were returned for safety upgrades during the recall. They had very good triggers before; not as good after the upgrade.  The 4" is a post-recall model and, unfortunately, shares the same rough trigger that was absent on my pre-recall examples. Reliability has been great on all models. They have readily digested thousands of lead SWC reloads that choke their bigger brother XD's. Accuracy is up to me - the little pistols will ring steel at surprising distances if the sights are on when I break the shot. It takes more effort to shoot them accurately - a VERY firm grip and solid technique is necessary - but the design isn't the excuse for missing at distances that are often addressed with a carbine. The thin profile fits my hand, much like a Shield, and the XDS grip angle points naturally. The  Shield requires a conscious adjustment to my natural grip to align the sights. The 3.3 is a very versatile pistol. It can be easily concealed in most clothing and, when equipped with the extended magazine and a TLR-3 light on the rails, makes a nifty nightstand pistol. If pocket carry is not a consideration, the 4 inch model is more of a good thing. Thinner than the time honored 1911, it still packs 8 rounds and a white light in a reliable package with excellent, high visibility sights. Magazines are robust and relatively inexpensive compared to CZ and Sig. A wide range of replacement sights are available although removal and installation can be frustrating without the proper tool. Springfield Armory has a great lifetime warranty with shipping, both ways, on their dime.

I have purchased several over the years. Both 9mm and .45. Most recently a 4" .45 with the Essential package for $399 shipped from Gunbuyer. The 3.3"s are even less now, and Springfield is currently running its annual promotion that offers the purchaser 4 free magazines, a holster and mag carrier. That's a screaming deal.

I am a huge fan of CZ's and they are my favorites when high capacity is a priority. But my decision to shoot or carry an XDS at a given time is, IMHO, a choice, not a compromise.

Best,

Hugh

Offline macktheknife

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 07:16:57 AM »
I have a XDS 3.3 in 45acp, not the most accurate gun, but just put a spring kit in (last night), the trigger feels better will see if it improves the accuracy after I shoot it. Never had any other issues with it but I hear the seven round mags are not so good. I have six rounders they work fine.
I usually carry a Commander but the XDS is even smaller and lighter for summer.
PEOPLE SLEEP PEACEFULLY IN THEIR BEDS AT NIGHT BECAUSE ROUGH MEN STAND READY TO DO VIOLENCE ON THEIR BEHALF.

Offline oldfrank

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 10:21:36 AM »
I had and carried the XDS .45 for several years. It was a great gun, accurate and reliable.

Hand would     get a little tender during long range trips but a talon grip took care of that.

I decided I wanted a few more rounds so I sold it and bought the 9mm version and it has been a great gun too.

Prices have come down also. I have seen the basic kit without the worthless holster for just under $400 lately.