Author Topic: CZ 75 compact vs. CZ 75D PCR?  (Read 738 times)

Offline BRJACKET

CZ 75 compact vs. CZ 75D PCR?
« on: March 05, 2014, 02:22:46 PM »
I have been researching both of these guns. Please tell me the accuracy / inaccuracy of what I have found. Obviously the PCR is lighter. While I will carry it, I am not Law enforcement and will not carry it for long periods of time so that is a toss up.

1. Would the 75 compact have less recoil due to the extra weight? 
2. I like the decocker vs. the safety, but I have heard that the trigger is better on the compact and that the decocker makes the PCR more sluggish. True?
3. Are the sights the same?
4. It looks like the trigger pull is about 5.5 pounds. Is that accurate? Is it difficult to get that down to around 4 to 4.5 pounds.

If you were going to get one of the 2, which would you get and why?
Thanks for your help.

Offline Widge

• Administrator
  • Quid, Me Anxius Sum?
Re: CZ 75 compact vs. CZ 75D PCR?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 02:38:12 PM »
2 page thread on the subject about 6 posts below yours.

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=58530.0
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

Offline Sancho

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 02:38:35 PM »
My opinion is:

1.  yes
2.  yes, but the difference is minor and lessens over time.  I believe that the decocker is better for concealed-carry but the safety's trigger feels a little better.
3.  no, the PCR has snag-free sights. 
4.  It is easy, send it to CZ Custom or Cajun Gun Works with $200.  I have a customized P-01 (Compact L) and the (safety) trigger-job is much nicer than the stock PCR.  The custom P-01L's trigger pull is too light for (me) to comfortably conceal carry.

Sancho
I am only eight pistols into the 12-step program.

Offline BRJACKET

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 03:13:13 PM »
Thanks for the input. I did read the thread attached but it is really comparing the PCR to the P-01. I am interested in either the PCR or the slightly heavier compact 75 version. My LGS has a CZ 75 compact for $499.00. The best price I have found on a PCR (which are really hard to locate) is $600.00. I am trying to decide if the PCR is worth an extra $100.00.

Offline BRJACKET

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 03:14:25 PM »
By the way, both of those prices are new in the box.

Offline viking499

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 03:58:08 PM »
I like the PCR better than the compact.

Online s0nspark

• Talk is cheap!
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 04:02:10 PM »
Just my two cents: I generally favor an all-steel frame, but I greatly prefer a decocker over a safety for a carry gun. On the other hand I have no use for the accessory rail... Still, for me the decocker decides it. CZ used to make a 75D Compact, all-steel with a decocker - that would be my personal pick if one could be found.

Whichever way you go, it would be greatly worth it to have David at CGW upgrade the stock trigger :)
"A man's character is his fate." -- Heraclitus

Offline BRJACKET

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 04:34:46 PM »
I am new to this forum (and to CZ's). Who is David at CGW?

Offline BRJACKET

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 04:38:01 PM »
I do prefer the decocker (personal preference). I have them on my Sigs and like it. I also am happy with my 1911's which don't have them. It seems to be weight and decocker (with personal preference) vs. $100.00 more in cost. Tough to say. Thanks everyone for the input.

Online s0nspark

• Talk is cheap!
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 05:07:58 PM »

David is the gunsmith/owner at Cajun Gun Works... he specializes in CZ work. A lot of the upgraded parts for CZs are his doing as well.

http://www.cajungunworks.com

Online s0nspark

• Talk is cheap!
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 05:10:25 PM »
I do prefer the decocker (personal preference). I have them on my Sigs and like it. I also am happy with my 1911's which don't have them. It seems to be weight and decocker (with personal preference) vs. $100.00 more in cost. Tough to say. Thanks everyone for the input.

There is a NIB CZ 75D Compact on Gunbroker right now if you are interested...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=397740800

Not sure what kind of reserve they have but might be worth bidding on...

Offline Skookum

• Truth is the new hate speech.
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 05:42:03 PM »
1. Would the 75 compact have less recoil due to the extra weight?

Physics dictates that the free recoil energy of the Compact will be less than that of the PCR, due to the extra mass of the Compact.  Whether you could discern the 15% reduction or not is questionable.

2. I like the decocker vs. the safety, but I have heard that the trigger is better on the compact and that the decocker makes the PCR more sluggish. True?

The decocker trigger is not as clean, but either trigger can be gunsmithed to be superb to the point where they are supposedly indistinguishable.

3. Are the sights the same?

As pointed out above, no.

4. It looks like the trigger pull is about 5.5 pounds. Is that accurate? Is it difficult to get that down to around 4 to 4.5 pounds.

I think 5.5 lb is low for the stock gun out of the box, but gunsmithing it to 4 lb is easily done.

If you were going to get one of the 2, which would you get and why?

I got the Compact, because:

- absence of a decocker, allowing for safe Condition 1 carry,
- price (~$50 less),
- less recoil, greater accuracy, albeit not big differences.

Skookum
CZ 83, 9 Browning Court, Satin Nickel
CZ 75 Compact, 9 Luger, Dual Tone
CZ 82, 9 Makarov, Czechoslovak People's Army Black
CZ 83, 7.65 Browning, Glossy Blue

Offline viking499

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 10:12:46 PM »

David is a CZ guru.  The maker of custom CZ replacement parts for the do it yourselfer.  Or he will do it for you.    His parts are high quality and his customer service is even better.

Offline BRJACKET

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 01:48:29 PM »
Well, I decided on the compact. I don't think that I will mind the extra weight. I like the all steel frame. I do wish it had the decocker but it was not a deal killer for me. I don't miss it when I shoot my 1911's. I couldn't justify the extra money for the PCR and since my LGS had the compact in stock I admit that I couldn't resist going for it rather than wait. I didn't see the link to Gunbroker above until I got home, but my guess is that it will wind up going for close to what I paid once you get the final bid plus shipping and FFL fees. I was out the door at $530.00 tax and all and with an hour of free range time. I will be satisfied with that.

I did go the CGS website and do some research. I will probably call and ask some questions. I want to put about 500 rounds through the barrel and then see how the trigger feels. It looks like you can change the mainspring to a #15 spring without changing any other original parts. I wonder how much this will affect the trigger? I am somewhat of a do it yourselfer but the trigger work that CGS does is way more advanced than me. I may save up and have them do an overhaul.

Offline Birds Away

• OSCM(SW/AW) USN (Ret.)
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 02:13:15 PM »
I think you will love the Compact.  I have one and it is my EDC.  Just because a CZ has a safety doesn't mean you have to carry cocked and locked.  I carry my Compact on half-cock with a round chambered.  I have done so for quite a while. From half-cock for the gun to fire the trigger would have to be fully depressed and the hammer would have to travel to full cock and then release.  I think you would notice that. The key to safe carry regardless of the gun is to have a quality holster that covers the entire trigger guard.  This holster must be of rigid construction so that it cannot bend, etc.  If you have that and you adhere to the four rules you have nothing to be concerned about.  I second other folks recommendation of David at Cajun Gun Works.  His parts and services are truly top notch and worth every penny.  I currently have five CZs and all have been customized either at Cajun or with Cajun parts.  To call me a satisfied customer would be the understatement of the year. Good luck with your Compact and good shooting.