Author Topic: Scoping my 527, 7.62x39  (Read 5686 times)

Offline Caribooriver

Scoping my 527, 7.62x39
« on: April 22, 2014, 07:21:06 PM »
First post.
Just got my first CZ today. Had been looking for ages in CA with no luck and finally bought one off an individual and now have to wait 10 days while it sits at an FFL. I want to use this time to figure out a few things. I appreciate any help you can give me. I'm a total newbie in the CZ department.

1. I have sort of decided on a Leupold VX2, 2-7x33 scope. My thinking is that I'll seldom go out beyond 200 and that a smallish scope is aesthetically pleasing to the eye on a carbine.

2. I would like to mount it as low as I can without having problems with the bolt handle colliding with the ocular bell and not have to remove the rear iron sight.

3. Should I use the CZ rings that come with the 527? Or should I invest in Warne mediums? Will they work? Are Warne significantly better than the CZ factory?

Thank you everyone. The guy I bought this from let me try it out with some Wolf at the range today before buying. I was amazed what it could do at 100.

Offline buddy.223

Re: Scoping my 527, 7.62x39
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 07:33:37 AM »
if the rifle is fairy new it may have the modified bolt handle, if not you will probably have to grind yours down or  buy a replacment, i had the 3x9x40 leupy on an american with the warne meds and the shaft of the bolt handle was clipping the mag ring, moving the scope back slightly would have solved it ,but destroyed the eye relief, you should be fine with the   33  behind the irons.

Offline bobanddog

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 03:04:08 PM »
I've posted this before and it may help:
https://czusamedia.s3.amazonaws.com/files/Ringmounts_list_.pdf
It's a list, direct from CZ USA (go to their website, click on 'support', then click 'downloads', there's a lot of information available there).

The CZ factory rings are very sturdy and plenty tall for many scopes on 527s, but they are also heavy, and blocky looking, like the black monolith from Kubrick's 2001.

Switching to Warne, Leupold or Burris rings should not be a problem with your intended scope; I use a similar sized Leupold 6X 36mm scope on mine with no clearance issues. 
"I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing."

Izaak Walton

Offline Caribooriver

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 03:42:48 PM »
Thank you gentlemen..
Great info. It is a terrific help.

Offline Trblshtr

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 09:25:51 AM »
For some reason I didn't get a set of CZ rings with my x39 that was NIB, so I went with a set of Warne Maxima rings in medium height to mount my Leupold VX-I 2-7x33.  My Carbine did come with the "new" lower profile bolt handle and I ended up with about a 1/10" of clearance between the handle and the ocular bell. 

For giggles, I decided to swap out scopes and put my Burris Timberline 4.5-14x32 on the Carbine this last weekend.  Got it sighted in at 50 yards with promising results, but was only able to get a few rounds downrange at 100 yards before a thunderstorm rolled over and put an end to the festivities.  There was just about the same clearance for the bolt handle as there was with the Leupold and the scope still fit behind the rear sight without the need to remove that.  It was probably a fluke, but the 4 rounds of Tula 123gr. FMJ fired at 100 yards ended up printing 4 holes touching.  Makes me wonder what the "good stuff" like Hornady or S&B would do.
Steve

Offline Caribooriver

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 12:14:11 PM »
Dang Trbhstr, that's good news. Good shooting! What power did you have the Burris set to when you had the all touching group at 100?

Offline Trblshtr

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 09:11:50 AM »
I had the Burris cranked all the way up to x14.  It retains good clarity at max magnification but the eye box gets very small past x10 or 12, still OK off a bench.  They whole point of the exercise was to see what the gun can do as I have consistently shot some Hornady 123gr. SST loads between .51" and .65" at 100 using my Leupy at x7.  I'm going to try some of those and some Herters 123gr. SP bullets (made by Sellier & Bellot) at 100 and 200 just because I'm curious.  The Leupold 2-7x33 will go back on before it goes on a hunt as it fits the gun so well, both physically and for intended use.

I'm convinced the results from those few rounds of Tula were a fluke as it typically prints a little over 2" with occasional flyers another 2" or so off POA.  I probably zigged when the bullet was going to zag, resulting in an impressive but random group.  If I duplicate it I'll make sure to let everyone know.  ;)
Steve

Offline Caribooriver

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 11:07:05 AM »
So Trbistr, it looks like you are pretty happy with the Leupold 2-7x33. Right?  I have the CZ rings on my 527 holding a rather large Simmons scope. When I tried it out before purchasing, the bolt handle cleared. Do you think the height of the medium Warne rings you used are about the same as the factory CZ rings?

I was in the running for a used Leupold 2-7x33 on Ebay for a while but pulled out when it went north of $200. So I'll keep looking. I can't wait for the 10 day CA waiting period to be up so I can pick this beauty.

Offline Trblshtr

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 10:29:24 PM »
I bought this VX-I 2-7x33 (with BDC reticle) back when I owned an AR.  I really liked it on that platform but since I sold that gun the scope has been moving from one rifle to the next, looking for a new partner.  It has good clarity, a bright enough image in overcast or dusk/dawn lighting and enough magnification to more than consistently hit a 3" target at 150 yards.  Perfect for hunting light .30 caliber sized game like whitetail deer or pigs, something a CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39 is also perfect for.  There are other small form factor 2-7x scopes out there that would probably do the job just as well, but this carbine in this caliber really works well with this type of scope.  I paid almost $200 new for my VX-I so I would think a used VX-II would be worth that and some more as long as it was in decent shape.  Especially if you take into account Leupold's lifetime, any reason, transferable warranty.

The Warne Maxima medium rings I spoke of before are .375" high, I don't know how high the CZ rings are but I'm sure somebody does. There's plenty of room under the objective bell to go to a 40mm objective, but with CZs its always the eyepiece clearance that will give you more trouble.
Steve

Offline bobanddog

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 10:00:37 AM »
If you're interested in alternatives to the Leupold 2-7 of similar size and quality; consider the Redfield Revolution 2-7, and the Weaver Classic 2-7.   The Revolution series are made in Oregon by Leupold and carry the same lifetime warranty.  A couple of our guns are wearing them now (one in 2-7, one in 3-9).  I also like the Weaver 'Classic' line, and have had a couple of their fixed power scopes.  These are made in Japan by Light Optic Works.  Their variables seem of similar quality and clarity.  Both the Redfields and Weavers are similar overall diameters to their Leupold counterparts, a little bit longer, and can be had for under $200.  If you find them used, they are often much more reasonably priced than a similar used Leupold.

I generally use Leupold fixed power scopes on my rifles, though I have over the years tried others.  The older, Colorado made Burris Mini/Compact/Short mag scopes in fixed powers probably had the slimmest ocular bells this side of a straight tube, and I do like them, but they tend to have restricted fields of view at any given range and power compared to others. 

If you really want to see a scope that goes with your carbine like peanut butter goes with jelly, look for a used Leupold FXII 4X33.  These are hands down my favorite hunting scopes; lightweight, compact, bright, clear, sharp, and super reliable.
"I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing."

Izaak Walton

Offline Caribooriver

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 04:54:25 PM »
Again, thanks trb and bob. I very much appreciate this info. It's 7 days before I can pick up this 527. It's helpful to get all this info while I can't chomp at the bit. :)

Offline Apples

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 03:05:51 AM »

It's 7 days before I can pick up this 527.

Here; you need another picture! to hold you over. Hee.

You're welcome!  ;D :D ;) :)

Offline buddy.223

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 03:47:44 PM »
the factory cz rings are closer to the high warnes.

Offline Bert2368

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 08:20:56 AM »
My CZ 527 carbine came without factory rings- I started out with a very old set of CZ (unknown maker, unmarked) rings, DIFFERENT than any others I've seen. They came on an older 527 .22 Hornet with a 4x NORINCO scope. Worked OK, a little high and blocky looking though.

Finally re scoped with a new set of Warne 30mm medium rings and a Weaver Extreme 30mm tube, 1.5-4.5x24 illuminated center dot scope- AND I LIKE IT!

These scopes are on sale at Nachez Shooter's Supply, glass is EXCELLENT. Illuminated dot is not obnoxious, nice at dusk. DOES NOT light up the whole cross hair, just a tiny (2MOA?) center dot. This is NOT a "red dot" like Aimpoint etc. for close in work, but that's not what I bought it to do. 2nd focal plane with German #4 crosshairs. I recommend, check sale price on these...

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=WE800701

I did buy one of the new replacement bolt handles, but found the factory handle was virtually identical. Clears the ocular of new scope fine with either. The replacement handle will now go on the Hornet & I'll look for a lower set of rings for the old Lux stocked Hornet.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 08:47:43 AM by Bert2368 »

Offline Caribooriver

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 07:28:31 PM »
Just picked it up today. Thanks for the tips bert and apple. It came with a Simmons Prohunter 4-12x40 in CZ rings. Bolt handle clears the ocular by about 1/8". But the size of the scope looks a little overkill on a carbine. Will post photos soon. Thanks for your help and suggestions. What a dandy rifle! Is the date on the right side of the receiver? There's a bunch of squiggly lines and then an "03" about 1/32" tall. Could hardly make it out. Was such a strain on these old peepers I had to lie down afterwards. Ha. Do you think that's the year it was made? 2003? Thanks.