Author Topic: What is the Closest Current Offering to the CZ 550 American Model?  (Read 2129 times)

Offline Radom

• HGWT
I have the older CZ 550 American model in .270 Win.  A friend of mine would like to buy one just like it, but there is no direct equivalent offered anymore. It appears that the 557 Sporter is the "replacement" for this model. 

Anyone have any insight on the practical or cosmetic differences?  Most of them seem to be "improvements," at least in theory.  I know my friend really likes the stock on my American, but I was able to hand select mine from three available.  In other words, the grain differences he is seeing in the CZ-USA reference photos may not be a fair/direct comparison. 
The artist formerly known as FEG...

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
Re: What is the Closest Current Offering to the CZ 550 American Model?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 02:05:59 AM »
The 550 "Ultimate Hunting Rifle" would be my closest guess.

The 550 is a Mauser style action, while the 557 is a Remington style action.

The bottom of page 3 has the UHR.

http://cz-usa.com/hammer/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/20140506-CZ-Catalog.pdf

Offline Radom

• HGWT
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 02:30:15 AM »
The UHR only appears to come in .300 Win Mag.  I should have been clear that .270 Win was a prerequisite.  I do agree that the UHR is the closest to the old 550 American overall. 

Thanks for the clarification on the Remington action.  From the online product description, I thought it might be a Remington, but I really had no way of knowing without examining one.  We both own older Remington 700s: his is .30-06; mine is also .270.  He really likes my 550 American in .270, and would like to get one just like it.  It may be in both of our interests for me to trade my 550 for his 700, at least in the short term. 

I like my 550, and I prefer .270 for whitetail.  However, I sometimes wish I had gone ahead and gotten the 550 Lux version when it was still available.  If I get rid of the 550 American, it would be with the long term goal of getting a 550 Lux.  The current prices aren't even remotely comparable to what I paid for the 550 some years ago, unfortunately. 

Side note: I'm glad you drew my attention to the 2014 catalog.  I grew up in a "Brittany household."  Personally, I would have held out for a tri-color for the catalog...  They're great dogs, both as pets and for upland hunting. 

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 03:42:12 AM »
The UHR only appears to come in .300 Win Mag.  I should have been clear that .270 Win was a prerequisite.

You are correct!  I looked at the chart at the bottom of the page wrong.  I was assuming since the picture was underneath the UHR that the models listed below were available chamberings...not so!

I'm a diehard .277" guy myself.  I've got a .270 Winchester Model 70 (albeit a push feed post-64), a .270 WSM Model 70 Coyote Lite, and a 6.8 ARP AR-15 that I built.  I only need to add the Weatherby to my collection, and when I do it's going to be a Mark V.

Offline bobanddog

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 09:39:22 AM »
There are still unsold 550 Americans out there.  In fact, they are the only CZ centerfire models I ever come across on the gun racks around here, with the exception of the occasional 527 Varmint.  I have yet to see a 557 of any sort; I suspect the distributors my LGSs use are still trying to move the last of the 550 inventory first.
Tell your friend not to give up and to search a little harder.
"I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing."

Izaak Walton

Offline Radom

• HGWT
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 05:05:35 PM »
There are still unsold 550 Americans out there.  In fact, they are the only CZ centerfire models I ever come across on the gun racks around here, with the exception of the occasional 527 Varmint.  I have yet to see a 557 of any sort; I suspect the distributors my LGSs use are still trying to move the last of the 550 inventory first.

Thanks!

Offline viking499

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 05:53:48 PM »

Yes, still 550's out there.  Just might take a little more searching than what we used to have to do.

There are some new ones listed on GunBroker right now.

Where are you located Random?

Offline Radom

• HGWT
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 06:20:33 PM »
SW Indiana.  Whittaker's Guns in NW KY doesn't have any; we called there first.

Offline viking499

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 06:58:26 PM »

At least you started out at the top.... ;)

I see Whittakers does have a couple 6.5x55's on their used page.  That would be a good choice........

Keep looking, there are 270's out there.

Offline Radom

• HGWT
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 08:01:15 PM »

At least you started out at the top.... ;)

I see Whittakers does have a couple 6.5x55's on their used page.  That would be a good choice........

Keep looking, there are 270's out there.

Someone just located one and sent me a PM.  Thanks for the help folks.

I've bought all of my new CZs (and most of the used ones) from Whittaker's.  They are tough to beat.  Since they are probably the largest single-location CZ dealer in the U.S., they also get all of the limited edition and specialty models, which allows you to actually see them in person before buying.  The only drawback is that they sell guns; they don't "warehouse" them!   ;D

anything