Author Topic: Wolfe springs for the PCR  (Read 996 times)

Offline CZNE

Wolfe springs for the PCR
« on: February 17, 2003, 06:50:32 PM »
I use an 18lb in my PCR and I believe ut83 (the PCR guru) uses a 20lb in his.  I don't shoot a lot of  P but the 18 seems to work fine and I'm sure the 20 would also.

I'm not an expert on this but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.  Wait a minute, no I didn't, I just made that up. :)

Offline ut83

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2003, 06:26:44 AM »
If youre shooting FMJ....WWB UMC etc....the 18# spring will last forever and should function flawlessly.  If you get into the European rounds...Fiochi, S&B, Gecco, British Arm......etc. you may want to up it to the 20#...these are loaded like +P loads...some are hotter...Gecco, Brit.Arm. etc......
The 20# makes you thank God for the front cocking serrations on the slide until you get used to it......
Shoot well.....:smokin

Offline CZNE

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2003, 11:07:51 AM »
Yup that's what I said, GURU.

Offline jj85

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2003, 04:12:52 PM »
I just ordered an 18# recoil spring this afternoon.  I've got around 3,000 rounds thru my PCR so I thought it might be time for a change.  Will let you know how it functions.  From the input you guys have posted, I'm sure it'll work just fine.

Offline jeff c

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2003, 09:54:30 PM »
Hello,

I just went to the range today and shot my PCR with my Wolff 18lb recoil spring. I was shooting Winchester White Box 100rd ammo.

I had a LOT of ftf problems with all 3 of my magazines. I reinstalled the factory recoil spring and had NO further problems.

Any idea's?

Thanks,
Jeff C.

Offline ut83

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2003, 10:02:58 AM »
Yep.....your mag springs are slightly tired....You can use it like it is or get Wolff mag springs (+5%) and use the 18 lber...should work very nicely.
I always replace them in a set...they are designed to work togethor anyway.
Shoot well:smokin

Offline jj85

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2003, 07:50:27 AM »
My Wolff 18# spring arrived on Saturday.  I shot one box of Blazer and one of Win White Box with no problems.  I also shot one magazine of Gold Dot 124gr +P.  After the first shot the second round got hung up and failed to return to battery.  It cleared easily enough and had no problems through the rest of the mag.  This was one of the two mags that I keep loaded (with 9 rounds) in my safe.  I didnt have time or more GDs to run the through all four of my mags so I dont know if its a magazine problem or just a hiccup.  Ive never had any problems with the GDs before.  Looks like Ill need to go through a little more testing this week to see if it was just a fluke or if theres something else going on.  As ut83 noted, I may have some weak mag springs that need replacement.  Any ideas?
One thing I did note was that the slide comes forward noticeably harder with the 18# vs. the factory spring.  I expected this but was really trying to reduce some of the battering on the frame.  I guess its kind of a catch 22 with the heavier spring  less jarring coming back but more coming forward.
On a side note, I also ordered a reduced power hammer spring for my GP100 and it worked very well.  Really smoothed up and lightened the trigger.  Impressive product from Wolff and quick delivery as well.

anything