Author Topic: Learning about my 85 - Good lessons learned.  (Read 1692 times)

Offline frgood

Learning about my 85 - Good lessons learned.
« on: June 27, 2014, 09:43:12 PM »
his weeks lesson was how to disassemble and reassemble (and more).

During my initial reassembly, I had bent the sear spring.pretty bad. I ordered a new one and it arrived yesterday. This evening after work I began the wonderful task of getting it all back together properly. I watch the AGI video that talked about a temporary pin and I wasted an hour driving to Lowe's to find a nail I could cut down.

In the end, I found a cut 1-tip worked best. I was the exact diameter, strong enough to hold every thing, and pliable enough to allow some manhandling. It was nice to see it all come together and function as intended. Also any 'gritty' feeling is completely gone. the Single action is surprisingly smooth and breaks with nary a notice. The double action, while a tad long for my stubby fingers, has sufficient  touch/feel. and rolls of nicely. Since I was ordering 'pawts' [my Boston accent], the rubber grips are a pleasant  replacement for the original plastic.

Feeling good, I also found that installing my Dawson FO front sight went better than expected. The removal was exactly as described and I lucked out that the relief aligned perfectly with the pin hole. A little 220 grit sanding, used the included plastic punch, tap in the pin with a 1/16 punch, bingo-bango-bong sight installed. No drilling!!!! The sight looks great and tomorrow we'll see how POI,

The rear adjustable sight is still in it packaging. So tomorrow is a big day.

Add that to my new steel targets and weekends are now going to be Great!!!!

If all goes well, I may start running my matches with this gun as early as next week. I do recall either czcustom or Cajun can set the DA trigger back 5mm. I may go with this but, I do wonder how long I'd be without my gun. I'm just starting to feel good with it and I hate to lose my practice time for months upon months.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 08:42:47 PM by frgood »
It all sounded a lot funnier in my head.

Offline Riptide439

• Meet Riptide of Chincoteague
Re: Learning about my 85 - Godd lessons learned.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 09:51:36 PM »
Ha!
The Q-tip was exactly what I use when I remove the sear assembly!  ;)

Did awda (the way my Rhode Island mother-in-law would say order  ;D) the CGW SRT and the Disco?
That would do the trick for your trigger!
75B 9mm Duel Tone * SP01 Shadow * SP01 Phantom * SP01 Tactical * 85 Combat * 2075 Rami * P-09 * P07 * 97BD Cajunized * P01
S&W 686-6 * Dan Wesson Valor .45 * SAR K2 .45 * Canick S120 9mm * Sig P226
452 Trainer * 452 Ultra Lux  x 2 * 452 Varmint Thumbhole*527 .223 Carbine*Rem 870 Express

Offline frgood

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 03:24:22 AM »
I was thinking the RRK (Reach Reduction kit).  But you're right the SRT and Disco should be considered also.

I wonde, though, during competition, do mediocre shooters really notice the pre-travel? I would think that only the really skilled folks have that type of control. I can say that, as a beginner, when that buzzer goes off my sense of touch is something I recall after the fact.
It all sounded a lot funnier in my head.

Offline Riptide439

• Meet Riptide of Chincoteague
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 08:07:22 AM »
I love USPSA and IDPA but I am not that good. I do it because it is fun and you meet great people.
The first 3 or 4 matches I used the 85C with all the upgrades. The short reset is very nice. 2 matches ago I used my Phantom which does not have the short rest. Twice I did not let the trigger reset since I got so use to the short reset on the 85B. Was fine after 2 stages but the mussle memory kicked in for the 1st two.

I have not used my SP01 in a match yet but I will in the next week or so. I love the 85C but will let you know how the 2 compare.   ;)
75B 9mm Duel Tone * SP01 Shadow * SP01 Phantom * SP01 Tactical * 85 Combat * 2075 Rami * P-09 * P07 * 97BD Cajunized * P01
S&W 686-6 * Dan Wesson Valor .45 * SAR K2 .45 * Canick S120 9mm * Sig P226
452 Trainer * 452 Ultra Lux  x 2 * 452 Varmint Thumbhole*527 .223 Carbine*Rem 870 Express

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 04:05:18 PM »
I was thinking the RRK (Reach Reduction kit).  But you're right the SRT and Disco should be considered also.

I wonde, though, during competition, do mediocre shooters really notice the pre-travel? I would think that only the really skilled folks have that type of control. I can say that, as a beginner, when that buzzer goes off my sense of touch is something I recall after the fact.

I'm a mediocre USPSA shooter.  What it does is make it harder to screw up the shot.  I can still screw it up,  but not as easily as before installing those great mods.  As your strong points get stronger yet,  the pistol is there and ready to oblige.
And that's the truth!
When that buzzer goes off,  THAT's where your practice and muscle memory kick in on auto-drive!   Practice,  practice , practice --- correctly.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 04:10:51 PM by 1SOW »

anything