Author Topic: First handgun, new CZ P-09. HELP!  (Read 6404 times)

Offline Airacuda

Re: First handgun, new CZ P-09. HELP!
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 10:12:39 AM »
Ok, I'm going to help you out here. I don't post too much but since I was checking out the P-09's your going to get free advice. Don't take offense as everyone does this. Your pistol is not shooting low. You are. Especially as a new pistol shooter. Even if you shoot every month your going to do this until you have put a lot of rounds downrange, like a really lot. It's not going to happen overnight.

You are pulling/jerking the trigger instead of squeezing or the PC term nowadays is pressing the trigger. If you don't believe this just have a friend load your mag and put in a snap cap randomly and you will see the pistol jerk down when the round does not fire. So every time you go to shoot, before you fire the 1st round. Take your empty pistol and get a nice sight picture on the target and slowly apply pressure to the trigger...very slowly till it clicks and the pistol does not move.........at all. Do this 5 to 10 times and feel what it is like for the pistol to just click. Then load it aim and repeat and tell yourself it is just going to click.
Now you will see where your pistol is hitting which is right where you were aiming. You will get 1 to 6 or so hits depending on you and when you start hitting low again unload and do the above again. Or you can just hand the pistol to a range officer who will fire once and tell you your sights are dead on as he nails the target.
 Yes, I am an RSO for okshooting.com and It never gets old to see someone smile ear to ear after they knock down all 6 steel plates, when 2 minutes before they were ready to go trade in their new pistol.

PS: I have not come across a pistol yet that shoot low......unless it has adj sights.  And I shot 3 P-09s Sunday.
Now go have fun  ;)

Offline bgevenson

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 01:09:21 PM »
Dry firing practice is vital to grooving a solid, consistent grip and firing technique.  I've found it useful to practice by aiming at  translucent, fabric type lampshade when the lamp is lit.  This will make the front and rear sights appear in a solid, clear, bold silhouette, and you can easily see every little quiver, deviation, dip in your sight alignment as you press the trigger.  As Airacuda notes, I'll bet you find you're allowing the muzzle to dip, particularly at the instant the trigger releases, the hammer falls, and the dry fire "shot" releases.  You can also easily see what happens to the sight alignment when you reflexively tighten the other fingers in your trigger hand sympathetically as you squeeze your trigger finger.  Your trigger figure must move totally independently of the other fingers and thumb. 

Remember, as others much more experienced than I have said:  pulling the trigger and breaking the shot is a process not an event.

Offline benq

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 12:05:02 PM »
Also before changing sights I would practice more and maybe have someone with more handgun experience shoot it.

^^^I second this advice. Have someone with more experience shoot your pistol and see if they get the same results.

When I first got my P-07 and was struggling with those factory sights, I flagged down one of the RSOs I knew and he was more than willing to shoot it using my ammo. There was nothing wrong with my pistol. POA=POI out to 15 yards. I haven't really shot further than that. The only other advice I would give as you are finding your "groove" is to shoot SA for a while.
Good luck.

anything