Author Topic: Aggressive frame/rail texture  (Read 2500 times)

Offline Dirty J

Aggressive frame/rail texture
« on: July 22, 2014, 10:56:06 AM »
Anyone else think the texture along the frame/rail area is too rough?? The small area just in front of the slide stop.

I had my first outing with my P07 yesterday and after 30-40 rounds... I'd worn a blister on my support thumb.

Has anyone ever thought about taking a razor blade and cutting them down?

I'm rocking a super-cool Hello Kitty bandaid today (apparently that's all my wife keep in the house). Ha.

Offline Dirty J

Re: Aggressive frame/rail texture
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 11:35:08 AM »
to be clear, I am not talking about the actual grip frame itself... the small pad in front of the slide stop shown in the attached photo...

Offline gdawgs56

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 01:48:15 PM »
I personally LIKE having a grip spot there, as it gives a good memory spot for my thumb. Never had a blister form though.

-Jason
CZ75 SP-01 Tactical Custom 9mm
MP 9mm 2.0
Glock 19

Offline Dirty J

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 02:10:51 PM »
I personally LIKE having a grip spot there, as it gives a good memory spot for my thumb. Never had a blister form though.

-Jason

I LOVED the idea just handling the gun prior/after purchase, but the first range outing tore me up.

Maybe I've just got girly hands!  :-[

Offline gdawgs56

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 02:11:56 PM »
Haha! Maybe your frame has a little more grit then normal?

-Jason
CZ75 SP-01 Tactical Custom 9mm
MP 9mm 2.0
Glock 19

Offline benq

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 02:22:42 PM »

-Jason

^ What he said. Even after a 500 round day at the range, my hands aren't beat up. Fatigued but not blistered. Are you putting a death grip on it with your support hand? I do. my thumb is on it firm but not enough to torque it.

Offline benq

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 02:35:58 PM »

You said it not me.  ;)

When I first got my P-07, the texture felt very aggressive. Now I don't even notice it unless I pick up a different gun.

Offline Dirty J

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 02:37:40 PM »

You said it not me.  ;)

When I first got my P-07, the texture felt very aggressive. Now I don't even notice it unless I pick up a different gun.

Like I mentioned, the frame itself i love. Had no comfort issues there.

Guess I'll just need to play around with my support thumb placement and tension

Offline Magsz

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 03:02:10 PM »
If the gun is beating up that finger you're losing your grip on the pistol and it is shifting in your grip.  IF you are properly gripping the pistol the slide is reciprocating BUT the pistol is staying stationary in space.

Any kind of abrasion on the thumb means that the pistol is torquing in your grip so you definitely need to clamp down harder on the gun.

Do you have any video of you shooting?

Offline Dirty J

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 03:16:40 PM »
If the gun is beating up that finger you're losing your grip on the pistol and it is shifting in your grip.  IF you are properly gripping the pistol the slide is reciprocating BUT the pistol is staying stationary in space.

Any kind of abrasion on the thumb means that the pistol is torquing in your grip so you definitely need to clamp down harder on the gun.

Do you have any video of you shooting?

No video. But that's a great idea if the issue persists.

Double and triple taps were no issue with it... so if my grip is coming loose, this thing fires target seeking bullets!

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

Offline Firemanjones

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 04:59:06 PM »
I have not had that problem with either of my P-09 or P-07.
Safety First
Living the dream, driving a Fire Engine RETIRED shooting my Guns in FL and the Mountains of NC and visiting family in Mannheim.

Offline cznine

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 11:56:51 PM »
Wow, never have had any issues with blisters from shooting, however seems like to heavy of contact of thumb to frame.....take a look at video by Todd Jarrett  on You tube...it was also downloaded to a post in this section of forum today to help someone with their new P-09.
The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten!

CZ P-09
Walther PPS,  PPQ
Windham Weaponry
Ruger

Offline Dirty J

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 04:21:46 PM »
Had the wife video me firing a few shots. I don't feel that I'm loosing any grip.

I fired 5 shots with my thumb on the textured pad (and had the same discomfort as before).

This video is 5 rounds fired with my thumb on the smooth polymer just below the textured pad.

I guess I'll have to work to keep my support thumb here, as the gun was fine to shoot this way for. 100's of rounds today.

Offline Winkel

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 10:25:43 PM »
You could try carefully putting some clear finger nail polish on the rough patches.  It might fill in the little craters and smooth it out a bit.  Just degrease the spot first.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 04:30:50 PM »
Your grip looks right,  but your weakhand thumb is moving/loose against the frame when the slide cycles.
Mine may too.  I don't know -- never saw a video of mine on my Shadow.
I put a small piece of grip tape jusy ahead of the top of my weak hand grip as a reference point.  No blister,  but it's not as far away as the thumb. :-\
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 04:35:29 PM by 1SOW »