Author Topic: Bullet Calipers?  (Read 1354 times)

Offline soltangris

Bullet Calipers?
« on: July 24, 2014, 01:27:15 PM »
Ok so im assuming these are bullet calipers??? Anyone know the name or if they are called something specific?
Dan Wesson Guardian 9mm (Ivory Grps)
Guncrafter Industries No Name Commander
Sphinx 17rd Alpine White
Les Baer Monolith Commanche

Offline IDescribe

Re: Bullet Calipers?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 02:54:14 PM »
Not calipers at all. That's a micrometer. Does the same basic job as calipers, but it's not as quick and doesn't have as great a range.  It is, however, more precise than calipers.

Online tdogg

• Two Alpha!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 02:54:53 PM »
Those are actually micrometers.  The larger one appears to have a 1-2 inch working range and the smaller one has a 0-1 inch working range.  Micrometers have a higher resolution than compared to a caliper.  It appears that your micrometers read down to the 0.0001 inch (but I can't really tell).  Newer micrometers read to 0.00005 depending on how much you want to spend.  A caliper usually only reads to 0.001 inch resolution.  They look like this:

Cheers,
Toby
This forum rocks!

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 06:01:04 PM »
Not calipers at all. That's a micrometer.  It is, however, more precise than calipers.

Those are actually micrometers.  The larger one appears to have a 1-2 inch working range and the smaller one has a 0-1 inch working range.  Micrometers have a higher resolution than compared to a caliper. 

These guys nailed it!  For precise reloading work, a micrometer that reads with 0.0001" is what you need...and appears to be what you have!

Great find!

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 12:40:43 PM »
FYI... 

? You always want to store the 0-1 mic with the jaws slightly open, not as shown.

? The short rod in the 1-2 case is the standard by which the mic is calibrated. You can also read that on the 0-1 and see if they match up. That will give you the contiuity you need.

;)
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 01:06:00 PM »
You always want to store the 0-1 mic with the jaws slightly open, not as shown.

That's good to know!

Offline Towns

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 08:43:33 AM »
My son's starting his 2nd year in a machining program and has been telling me about micrometers versus calipers.  Now I know what one looks like.  Cool.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

anything