Author Topic: I don't love my CZ-97b  (Read 4062 times)

Offline Lucan

I don't love my CZ-97b
« on: July 26, 2014, 08:54:59 PM »
After lusting after a glossy blue CZ-97b for quite some time, I finally took the plunge and brought one home. I have a 1911 and a CZ-75b SA, both of which I love and both of which I shoot decently enough, so I was sure that I would love the 97 as well.

I'm sad to report, however, that I don't. I've only taken her to the range twice, but both outings have been a little disappointing, especially after reading so many positive reviews. I'm finding that I'm not very accurate with it (shooting low), I'm not sure I like the higher bore axis and the trigger leaves something to be desired. Maybe it simply needs to break in. Or maybe I'm wanting for it to be a 1911. Or maybe I need to send it to Schmeky for a once over.

What were your first impressions of your CZ 97? Was it love at first shoot? Did you start out lukewarm like me and grow to love it? Think I just need to break it in?

Offline Riptide439

• Meet Riptide of Chincoteague
Re: I don't love my CZ-97b
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 09:25:35 PM »
I must say the first time at the range I had 6" groups at 20 yards. Had another CZ user with me that night and he was shooting 4" groupings. After 800 rounds I sent it to Schmecky and got it back a couple weeks ago. Have only been able to get 50 down the pipe but boy is it sweet! If I compare it to my Dan Wesson, the DW is slightly more accurate but I love a DA first shot.
75B 9mm Duel Tone * SP01 Shadow * SP01 Phantom * SP01 Tactical * 85 Combat * 2075 Rami * P-09 * P07 * 97BD Cajunized * P01
S&W 686-6 * Dan Wesson Valor .45 * SAR K2 .45 * Canick S120 9mm * Sig P226
452 Trainer * 452 Ultra Lux  x 2 * 452 Varmint Thumbhole*527 .223 Carbine*Rem 870 Express

Offline schmeky

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 10:53:52 PM »
Lucan,

An out of the box 97B is pretty disappointing in the trigger department.  When I bought my very first 97B (still have it) my first reaction was to let it go.  It was that bad (to me at least). 

Fast forward to the present and after some thought out modifications to my 97B, it is the only .45 I now shoot.  And I have a cache of .45's, Les Bear, my own custom 1911's, HK, Kimber, Colt, etc.  Some of my best 1911's will do 5 shot, .75" groups @25 yards and have superb triggers.  My 97B has done a best 25 yard bench rested group of 5 rounds in 9/16 of an inch, and the DA and SA are just stunning. 

Think of an out-of-the-box 97 as a diamond in the rough, but unless you are willing to go mining for a gem, you may not be happy in the long term.

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 12:54:10 AM »
I picked up a used 97 and the trigger was just OK. I polished the internals, converted it to SA, changed the grips, some springs and love it. Now on a par with my DW 1911. I'm no judge of accuracy, but I shoot it maybe a little better then my other guns on a good day.

CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline Stuart

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 12:37:05 PM »
97 is a nice gun. But I would've not considered it until I have seen some  worked over models.
For me the 97, just needs a little attention to make it work for me.

Offline kevinusa

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 01:14:30 PM »
I agree ,I have a 97BD in E conversion and It is my most accurate handgun. Before the work done the trigger was just to much trouble. It shoots great for me know. This could be partly due to me taking a little bit more time when firing , since I usually shoot 9 mm. So far it has been more accurate then my shadow custom though I am a pretty inaccurate shooter anyway. I can know hit the barn door , instead of just the barn.
CZ...The Bacon of Guns

Offline dale59911

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 10:59:01 PM »
Starting to have second thoughts...my CZ97B is coming tomorrow....the gun retails on the street for around 600.  To get a decent trigger and all the bugs worked out is another 250-300.  I am beginning to think I should have just bought a Sig.  What am I missing?

Offline Lucan

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 01:09:14 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely willing to invest in a trigger job and possibly a SAO conversion if doing so will give me a crisp break. There's plenty to like, I just didn't have the immediate connection that I had with my 75b. I will contact CGW for some trigger love and see how it goes.

Offline Lucan

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 01:14:43 AM »
Starting to have second thoughts...my CZ97B is coming tomorrow....the gun retails on the street for around 600.  To get a decent trigger and all the bugs worked out is another 250-300.  I am beginning to think I should have just bought a Sig.  What am I missing?
I wouldn't worry too much, especially not based on my experience so far. Most CZ 97 owners seem quite happy with them and I'm fairly new to mine. No matter what, it's a unique pistol that seems to hold its value well.

Offline twowheels

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 07:28:15 PM »

I really liked my sig 220 but not enough to not trade it off.  I love my 97BE, its incredible.  Like most CZs (or frankly most other guns of just about any brand), the 97 needs work to come into its own.   

If you are talking about a sig 1911, you can do a lot better in the platform many other places.

Offline robertk7

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 08:29:35 PM »
I can't shoot my SIG anywhere near as accurately as any of my CZ's even the ones without any work, except for the CZ52.
I just can't get the hang of the SIG the rounds are around the center of the target but spread out the CZ's give me more like a ragged single hole. I've tried the SIG multiple times but don't seem to get any better. Other than that its a good reliable gun.

Offline vwpieces

• Bang, Bang, Bang
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 06:00:14 AM »
  I am beginning to think I should have just bought a Sig.  What am I missing?

I would rather have a worked CZ than any out of the box Sig of equal investment. I own a Sig & the out of the box reliability is not what it used to be. Both my CZ's have been absolutely flawless out of the box since day one, can not say the same for the Sig Now, both CZ's have been worked with many CGW parts & are as good as any $2000+ pistol. I have read the Sig 1911 platform is not worth the "Chance" that you may get a good reliable pistol. Another Problem I have with Sig is that they do not make every internal part available to the consumer, unlike CZ where I can buy ANYTHING I may ever need. If someone wanted to buy my Kimber or Sig at a decent price I would be happy let them go. It would take a stupid high offer, more than my total investment, to get me to sell the CZ's & I would just go out & buy another CZ & start over.

Sorry, had to remove the list of firearms due to server overload. I hope you now have a more pleasant experience on this forum.

"Hey, do you want to try my Glock?"
No thank you. Want to try my CZ P-01?
"Hell Yeah, DoooD, thats sweet"

Offline dale59911

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 07:57:27 AM »
My FFL took delivery yesterday afternoon and I will pick it up this morning.  Wednesday is an all day range day for me so I will have a chance to shoot it.  I really do want to like it.  I have multiple Sig platforms, only one of which is new and they all shoot beautifully with nothing done to "tweak" them.  Fingers crossed!!!!! 

Offline schmeky

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 10:21:14 AM »
I love the Sig platform.  But I had 2 - P220's with extraction issues and I could not get a new extractor, Sig said I had to send in the pistol.  So I now have one of those old early 220's with the heel mounted mag release.  Sights are way off from the factory, but I can fix this.  This older 220 runs well.

Sig, in my opinion, has tried to make to many guns, to many model variations, and has strayed from the earlier quality of years past.  I still love them, but like others have stated, I can literally throw my 97 on target and make a hit, just so easy.  I have to work a Sig to get the same results.

But a respectful warning to the OP, the out of the box 97 trigger pull in DA is brutal, the SA is mediocre to terrible.  But it can be transformed for under $200.00 in parts if you can do the install (which is really pretty easy).

Offline hrdguera

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 11:33:25 AM »
After 3 range trips ...... I love my 97B.

I wonder about the longevity of the Polycoat but I carry something different every day so maybe my concern is unfounded.
Trigger is only getting better too. Lubed the inside rails with my favorite red grease that comes in a hypodermic applicator and it moves very smooth after I wiped off excess.
I will try and put 200 rounds through it this weekend and report back.
But so far my only complaint is the red fiber optic sight. I would have preferred a green one and the white dots could have been brighter. The range that is close to me is not very well lighted.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 09:38:40 AM by hrdguera »

anything