Author Topic: How To Tune - Smooth & Upgrade P-07/09  (Read 54006 times)

Offline schmeky

How To Tune - Smooth & Upgrade P-07/09
« on: August 22, 2014, 05:12:13 PM »
Been trying to get this done for some time, so sorry for the delay.  We are attempting to show everyone how to achieve a spectacular P-07/09 at home with step-by-step pictures.  We have found a few areas that need to be addressed to correct some factory shortcomings common in virtually all service pistols.

Here are the main parts we are going to reuse and smooth.  Notice the disco, FP block lever, and other parts are missing.  We won't show these since the pistols performance is somewhat compromised by trying to make these work to get max results.

These are the parts we are not going to reuse:

These are the parts we are going to replace the OEM parts with:

We are asked often how we polish the internals.  It's really quite simple.  We take 1/8" steel rods (an old 1/8" drill bit installed upside down works well) installed in a dremel.  We then tear off 3/4" wide X 4" long strips of 400 wet/dry and 2000 wet/dry.  We use a small piece of masking tape to stick one end of the 400 or 2000 to the steel rod and wrap it.  This makes the perfect sanding "drum"; as the end piece gets worn, just tear it off and you have a new cutting edge.  We run the dremel at the slowest speed:
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 09:08:21 PM by schmeky »

Offline viking499

Re: How To Tune - Smooth & Upgrade P-07/09
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 10:48:32 PM »
Interesting.  Are you going to package the replacing parts as a "P-07/09 kit"?

Offline helopigs

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 01:00:59 AM »
Are any of the parts we are going to smooth surface-hardened, or will we need to worry more about rust with some of the finish removed?

Offline jtracy1223

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 02:31:38 AM »
subscribed. I hope to get a p-09 FDE as soon as I get the cash saved up and always interested in making a good gun better.

Offline Joe L

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 07:34:20 AM »

He already has these available.  I've had them in two P-09s since they were first made available early this year.  Looking forward to seeing what we can do to the trigger bar, etc.  I haven't done much polishing on anything, just put in the CGW parts ket, less the bushing. 

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C

Offline viking499

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 10:36:54 AM »

He already has these available.  I've had them in two P-09s since they were first made available early this year.  Looking forward to seeing what we can do to the trigger bar, etc.  I haven't done much polishing on anything, just put in the CGW parts ket, less the bushing. 

Joe

Ok, I need Togo to the website.  I have a P-09 coming.  If I like it as much as I think I will, it is going to be my "tinker" gun.

Offline Gee chin

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 02:28:45 PM »
Will there also be an adjustable sear released? The one i put on my CZ75b was a beautiful piece of work. Between that and the race hammer, the break is so clean and crisp.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 07:44:05 PM by Gee chin »

Offline helopigs

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 04:35:19 PM »
Will there also be an adjustable sear released? The one input ony CZ75b was a beautiful piece of work. Between that and the race hammer, the break has been so clean and crisp.

The P-series hammer* with the stock sear gives a great break, on par with a 75b with the sear and hammer IMO.

*edit - it's not referred to as the Race Hammer on the P-series
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 04:39:33 PM by helopigs »

Offline industrialteacher

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 05:21:50 PM »
I just installed all these on my 07 this morning, plus the new style trigger w/OT...

Very sweet upgrade, and very easy to do... the only issue I had was the hammer strut pin was a wee bit of a pain to get started (at home without proper equipment) but a little soaking at 300f for the hammer and life got easier.

I did stone/polish the trigger bar and hammer strut, but everything else was left as is.

Used  the gold hammer spring for my application...

Anxious to see what additions he makes to his posting... might have to go back in but geeze is it sweet

grabs popcorn and more ammo :)

Edit: Measured trigger pull tonight using Lyman digital gauge
SA: 3 lb
DA: 7lb 10oz

IMHO, that's pretty dang good for plug and play parts installed sitting at the kitchen table :-)

« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 08:24:12 PM by industrialteacher »

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 06:32:58 PM »
Took the new P09 apart (partially) this morning to do some stoning.  Then the usual thing happened.  I got to looking for all my polishing stones (only 3 of them) in the gun toolbox but they weren't there.  No idea when/where I used them last.  It's been several years since I did any of that.

So, I figured I'd just get my Lansky knife sharpening kit out (5 stones in it) and couldn't find that either. 

So I had to put the darn thing back together till I can find my stones.  Or buy new stones....
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 08:42:56 PM »
M1A4ME,   ;D  Must be like my garage---"the black hole".

400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200 grit carborundum on a piece of glass does a pretty fair job on action parts.  Combine that with a dremel using a loose cotton wheel and white/red rouge and the glare will blind you.  :D   H.F. is your friend for the polishing compound.

Offline schmeky

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 10:00:37 PM »
First thing to address before the parts smoothing is how to fix the stacking DA.  We have observed many P series and they all suffer from the same problem.  This pic is of the frame laying on the RH side.  The first pic is of the trigger bar spring.  It's always badly over tensioned.  Notice where the end of the spring is presently;  causes the DA to stack badly. 

Now notice where the trigger bar support spring is after we have reduced the tension.  The difference is quite significant and makes the DA much better.  Just changing to CGW springs and making this simple mod can make your P series feel like a different pistol.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 10:04:25 PM by schmeky »

Offline schmeky

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 10:09:06 PM »
Here's a brand new trigger bar.  Look at the rear and you can already see a high spot visible by the wear on the finish.  When parts are stamped out of sheet metal (as is the P series trigger bar), the stamping die causes the steel to form sharp edges on the outside of the trigger bar.  In essence, the bar is not flat, it is more concave or bowl shaped.  We want the trigger bar flat and smooth.

So you can see just how "unflat" the trigger bar is, here is a pic of stoning the bar lightly.  You can see the where the edges are higher creating drag and a rough DA.

Here's a nice flat, properly prepped trigger bar.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 08:06:18 PM by schmeky »

Offline viking499

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 11:24:56 PM »
I think I am going to like where this thread is going. ;D. Keep the pics a coming........

Offline Firemanjones

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 07:51:37 AM »
First thing to address before the parts smoothing is how to fix the stacking DA.  We have observed many P series and they all suffer from the same problem.  This pic is of the frame laying on the RH side.  The first pic is of the trigger bar spring.  It's always badly over tensioned.  Notice where the end of the spring is presently;  causes the DA to stack badly. 
Now notice where the trigger bar support spring is after we have reduced the tension.  The difference is quite significant and makes the DA much better.  Just changing to CGW springs and making this simple mod can make your P series feel like a different pistol.

David, are you going to have a new modified trigger bar spring available?
Safety First
Living the dream, driving a Fire Engine RETIRED shooting my Guns in FL and the Mountains of NC and hanging in Mannheim.

anything