Author Topic: CZ97BD Falure to feed issues. UPDATE 10.30.14 w/ Fix  (Read 7333 times)

Offline Tok36

CZ97BD Falure to feed issues. UPDATE 10.30.14 w/ Fix
« on: September 14, 2014, 10:17:33 PM »
Hay all I have been having failure to feed issues with my CZ97BD since the first time i shot it.  It has gotten slightly better over the 950 rounds i have put through it but it still persists.

I have polished the feed ramp. First time at this so i may have to give it another shot.

I am using 2 factory mags that came with the pistol and 2 factory 97 mags that i purchased form CZ USA. Mags are marked "CZ97".

It has happened equally as often with all the ammo i have put through it. Rem UMC 230g FMJ. Winchester 230g FMJ, PMC 230g FMJ.
The issue occurs most often on the first round of a fully loaded magazine (10).

It has also had sporadic FTF's on the 9th through the last round. Not very often, at least once per 50 rounds. Once in a while 3 in a row.

My observations have lead me to a potential extractor claw issue. . If possible i would appreciate it if someone could meter their CZ 97 extractor claw so i can compare the dimensions to mine. I am thinking mine is longer than it needs to be and this is jamming in the extractor groove of the brass.

My extractor claw is  .310 +/- .005  from the outside to the inside.

I have found through experimenting with snap caps that if i push on the rear of the extractor, the slide closes, the round fully chambers and i am good to go. This dose not take allot of pressure.

Dose anyone's CZ 97 extractor stick out this much with a round loaded. On the 75 Series with a round loaded the extractor still lays flat in its unloaded position.

If possible i would appreciate it if someone could meter their CZ 97 extractor claw so i can compare the dimensions to mine.
My extractor claw is  .310 +/- .005  from the outside to the inside.

The polished feed ramp

I am not all that worried about this issue, it is a range gun and i still shoot the pistol allot. I would however like to get to the bottem of this and possibly assist others encountering the same issue.

Thank you for any input!

Update in post #12 (CZ USA came through and replaced my extractor, the pistol works now. more details below)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 07:23:22 PM by Tok36 »
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
Re: CZ97BD Falure to feed issues.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 12:08:49 AM »
Does it happen with all magazines?  I'd pull apart your mag's and clean them.  Some folks wax the mag's to make them slick.  I use a dry lube like silicone spray.  Most will tell you to leave them dry (clean but dry).

If the top round is getting stripped before the slide breech face grabs it then you can run into Extractor issues.

Good Luck.

Cheers,
Toby
This forum rocks!

Offline Tok36

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 12:36:40 AM »
Thanks Toby

Yes, it happens with all 4 of the magazines. Thank you for the suggestion, ill give the mags a cleaning and try making them slicker.

Offline Toney56

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 12:59:44 PM »
Excellent photography!

Offline Tok36

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 10:22:12 PM »
Thanks, Camera Phones have come along way.

I got some other feed back on this issue and it seams other peoples CZ 97 Extractors do not stick out as much as mine with a round in the chamber.

The other CZ 97's Extractor claw also metered to .030 less than mine. So it looks like i will be calling CZ to get a replacement extractor or to send the slide in to them. Unless of course i find out more information. We shall see, i am not in a hurry and i find this all quite interesting.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 10:28:52 PM by Tok36 »

Offline schmeky

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 11:05:00 PM »
I see a brass rim ring on the face of the extractor.  Looks like the slide may have been closed with a round in the chamber.  This can and will damage an extractor.  Not saying you did this, but the ring is unmistakable and can typically only occur under these circumstances.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 02:21:05 AM »
Thank you for the insight schmeky. Ya that was me, happened while i was trouble shooting with a dummy round i made, the slide slipped.

That occurred at about 750 rounds down the pipe and the issue has remained consistent from round #1  to round #950 so i do not think it contributed to the issue, but i am sure it did not help.

Eventually this 97 will make its way into your shop, ill try and get it fixed first though.  ;)

If anyone els around has an eye on a loaded CZ97, take a look at your extractor and let me know if it sticks out as much as the one in the picture i posted. I would like to confirm this on multiple pistols if possible.

Thanks again all!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 02:25:04 AM by Tok36 »

Offline schmeky

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 08:20:59 AM »
Tok36,

I would never question an honest answer, kudos to you, not like I have never done that.  I will say the last batch of 97's I received had slightly undersized chambers and required a finish reamer to make the feeding correct. 

Let us know what you discover, I am sure everyone here including myself would benefit.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 12:29:05 PM »
Interesting schmeky.

The chamber of my CZ97BD barrel metered to (.480), it is a 2014 model. I will be sure to report back when i find out anything more.

Offline CAGLS

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 09:29:48 PM »
Tok36,

I would never question an honest answer, kudos to you, not like I have never done that.  I will say the last batch of 97's I received had slightly undersized chambers and required a finish reamer to make the feeding correct. 

Let us know what you discover, I am sure everyone here including myself would benefit.

Schmeky, so is taking a finishing reamer to the barrel basically "throating the barrel"?
Custom CZC SP-01 Accushadow LS, CTS LS Orange, SP-01 Shadow Target, SP-01 Tactical 9mm, CZ 75 polished ss, CZ 75 matte ss, CZ 75B SA, P-06, CZ 97B Shadow glossy blue , f/o front sight, duty treat Dan Wesson Valor

Offline schmeky

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 10:11:10 PM »
CAGLS,

No sir, finish reaming is different from "throating".  Throating is making the "free-bore" longer to accommodate a longer bullet ogive.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 11:18:06 PM »

Here is a picture, for anyone that did not understand what a "free-bore" is. I have heard the term before but needed a picture to remind me.

I learn allot on this site.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 02:59:42 AM by Tok36 »

Offline Tok36

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 07:22:22 PM »
Sent my 97BD into CZ USA. They replaced the extractor and my 97BD feeds great now. The hole process cost me nothing and took around 10 days. Ive added a picture below that shows the new and the old extractor. For those that might read this that have encountered the same issue, your extractor should sit flat with a round chambered. If your extractor sticks out like picture #3 in my original post (red rectangle) above, it may be out of spec. Thanks again for the help all and thanks to CZ USA for their outstanding CS.

Offline Riptide439

• Meet Riptide of Chincoteague
Re: CZ97BD Falure to feed issues. UPDATE 10.30.14 w/ Fix
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 08:37:02 PM »
Thanks for the updae Tok.
I had feeding issues Sunday at USPSA match on 1st round. Will take it tomorrow to the see if can duplicate the issue. It is only the 1st round rest of mag feeds fine.

I was thinking the new mags are so tight with 10 rounds that the slide can't feed the 1st round. We will see tomorrow.
75B 9mm Duel Tone * SP01 Shadow * SP01 Phantom * SP01 Tactical * 85 Combat * 2075 Rami * P-09 * P07 * 97BD Cajunized * P01
S&W 686-6 * Dan Wesson Valor .45 * SAR K2 .45 * Canick S120 9mm * Sig P226
452 Trainer * 452 Ultra Lux  x 2 * 452 Varmint Thumbhole*527 .223 Carbine*Rem 870 Express