Author Topic: Trigger return spring after 1k rounds  (Read 3482 times)

Offline jrygrim

Trigger return spring after 1k rounds
« on: September 15, 2014, 06:29:42 PM »
I'm new to CZ's but considering my time with other firearms this accelerated wear on one spring seems like a bad omen to me.  Maybe others can chime in and tell me that's just the way it is.

Luckily I have CGW and bought up some extra springs a few weeks ago for in case s**t moments like these.

Gun has just over 1k, and a couple thousand dry practice runs through it. 
Suddenly trigger stops resetting and I would have to manually push the trigger from behind to reset itself.

Crack it open through in a new TRS and boom its fine.

Take out the old one, can't really see anything wrong with it.  I start apply pressure to different sections and suddenly cheenk* and the spring splits apart

Not a big deal, took me 15 minutes to pull it apart, throw in the new one, (the new spring did not want to sit properly), test it and everything is right in the world again.

But really 1k rounds, a couple thousand trigger pulls and the spring cracks? 

There are springs in a Sig I have that have gone through thousands and thousands of rounds and dry practice and still have never been replaced, same with my Glocks.

So, bad luck?
This is CZ town boy, get used to it?

OH!  And does anyone think this means I should contact CZ for a replacement spring?

« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 06:32:02 PM by jrygrim »

Offline Magsz

Re: Trigger return spring after 1k rounds
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 06:53:04 PM »
Hrm...

I hate to say its uncommon but it sort of is?  Lets put it this way, the only part that these guns are known for breaking is the TRS.

Having said that, it IS somewhat infrequent.  I have had great luck with the CGW's part so slap that in and go to town.

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 07:03:31 PM »
I don't know if it is the same spring that the 75 series uses, but SOME 75s ship with WEAK/BAD TRS's.  Back in 03 they sent scads of them out.  Eventually I broke 7 RTS - maybe more, I forget.  I did a bunch of dry firing - but not THAT much.  In the 75 the most notorious part is the slide stop for breakage - but that is understandable given the design, and firing 20-30K rounds. 

Offline SpinyNorman

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 07:35:33 PM »
Sounds like a good opportunity for someone to sell a good aftermarket replacement spring. While they're at it a nice trigger bar spring would be cool too.
Not Spiny Norman

Offline benq

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 06:26:04 PM »

Welcome to the club.  My P-07's TRS broke at about 1k rounds plus lots of dry firing. My P-09 went 2k before I replaced it.  I stopped by CZCustoms and picked up a couple upgraded springs. Package is labeled CZ75, so I assume it is compatible.

Offline Magsz

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 08:03:47 PM »
They are compatible.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 10:01:53 PM »
AND the ones I got from CZC have lasted many thousands of rounds.  If you carry one in your gun bag,  the one in your gun won't break--statistically speaking. ;)

Offline Skookum

• Truth is the new hate speech.
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 10:12:19 PM »
If you carry one in your gun bag,  the one in your gun won't break--statistically speaking. ;)

Mystically speaking.
Skookum
Browning Challenger III, .22 Long Rifle, Glossy Blue
CZ 83, 9 Browning Court, Satin Nickel
CZ 75 Compact, 9 Luger, Dual Tone — Satin Nickel/Matte Blue
CZ 82, 9 Makarov, Czechoslovak People's Army Black
CZ 83, 7.65 Browning, Glossy Blue
Beretta 3032 Tomcat, .32 Auto, Inox

Offline JonFrost

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 05:05:50 PM »
Is this spring hard to change? Even for someone who only does basic field strip and cleaning? I have a P0-7 and p-09 and am wondering if this is something I may have to deal with soon, since I shoot them in uspsa matches. I don't know much about gunsmithing. Actually, that's an overstatement.  I know nothing beyond basic cleaning.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 07:45:29 PM »
It's harder than changing the grips and easier than changing your wife's mind.
If you have the CGW floating trigger pin it's pretty straightforward,  but that third hand CZ owners often wish for,  would come in handy.

It's shown in the stickies somewhere if you search a little.

Offline jrygrim

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 10:51:57 PM »

Is this spring hard to change? Even for someone who only does basic field strip and cleaning? I have a P0-7 and p-09 and am wondering if this is something I may have to deal with soon, since I shoot them in uspsa matches. I don't know much about gunsmithing. Actually, that's an overstatement.  I know nothing beyond basic cleaning.

Not hard in terms of technical skill just difficult to apply pressure to the spring while inserted and then line it up with the pin.  Super easy to get it out, difficult to mess up, just tricky to put the new one in.

Autocorrect

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 10:52:12 AM »
In the 75 series line it requires detail stripping. I have heard of someone who did it without detail stripping but I was never successful when trying to do so. As I understand it the P07 and he 09 are easier to detail strip then the normal 75 series and especially the DeCocker series.

Offline highxj

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 05:25:51 PM »
Pretty certain I've changed out trigger return springs on a 75 without detail stripping it.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 05:51:17 PM »
I've done it twice without detail stripping on a 75B.
Like I said above,  a third hand makes it easier. ::) :)

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2014, 06:16:16 PM »
No detail strip here. I found using a small pair of needle nose pliers and CGW's floating trigger pin really helped.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

anything