Author Topic: sp-01 shadow target idpa legal?  (Read 7853 times)

Offline mtops

sp-01 shadow target idpa legal?
« on: September 17, 2014, 10:24:00 AM »
Hi all.. ( i asked it on benos but would like to get a feedback here as well).

Is the shadow target with adjustable rear sight idpa legal?. I would like to be sure due the recent problem with the ACCU shadow being ilegal for idpa. the target has the slide machined for this rear sight.. so is it a factory part  from cz-ub /usa or a work done by CZC only..?
i would like to avoid any issue with all that crap from idpa HQ..

thanks

PS: I think I have seen somewhere a factory sp-01 shadow with factory adjustable rear sight but cant find it to confirm. is there a factory model with Adj sight?

Offline brisix

Re: sp-01 shadow target idpa legal?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 10:47:00 AM »
I would argue that it would be considered illegal with IDPA for the same reason they made the Accu-Shadow illegal.  Just like the Accu-Shadow the Shadow Target is created by custom shop taking factory shadows and modifying them to take the LPA site.  I also doubt the annual production for the Shadow Target is anywhere close to 2000 units.   I have attached the IPSC production list to showcase my point.  Both IDPA and IPSC have similar logic in their decisions.

"(CZUSA Custom Shop models (including the SP-01 Shadow Target, CZ 75 Shadow T and CZ 75 SP01 ACCU Shadow), and Frankonia models (including Mamba and Viper), are not approved)"

https://www.ipsc.org/rules/proddiv.php

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 11:04:11 AM »
I can guarantee you that there were some people in IDPA with AccuShadows who came to a forum like this before buying them, had conversations like this, and thoroughly talked themselves and let others talk them into believing they were legal.  Now you see where they are.

If you see no reason in the rules a gun should be illegal, then a conversation like this might prevent you from making a mistake.  However, the more common version is that someone DOES see something in the rules that would make the gun in question  illegal, and they start these conversations and let people talk them into a mistake.  Don't be that guy.   ;)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 10:11:33 PM by IDescribe »

Offline CZnewbe

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 07:15:15 PM »
I would argue that it would be considered illegal with IDPA for the same reason they made the Accu-Shadow illegal.  Just like the Accu-Shadow the Shadow Target is created by custom shop taking factory shadows and modifying them to take the LPA site.  I also doubt the annual production for the Shadow Target is anywhere close to 2000 units.   I have attached the IPSC production list to showcase my point.  Both IDPA and IPSC have similar logic in their decisions.

"(CZUSA Custom Shop models (including the SP-01 Shadow Target, CZ 75 Shadow T and CZ 75 SP01 ACCU Shadow), and Frankonia models (including Mamba and Viper), are not approved)"

https://www.ipsc.org/rules/proddiv.php

I agree with this, but the CZ 75 Shadow T should be fine for ESP.  It's the full length dust cover that exclude the SP01 variants from ESP, unless they qualify through the SSP exemption.

Offline Canuck44

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 01:09:08 PM »
I can guarantee you that there were some people in IDPA with AccuShadows who came to a forum like this before buying them, had conversations like this, and thoroughly talked themselves and let others talk them into believing they were legal.  Now you see where they are.

If you see no reason in the rules a gun should be illegal, then a conversation like this might prevent you from making a mistake.  However, the more common version is that someone DOES see something in the rules that would make the gun in question  illegal, and they start these conversations and let people talk them into a mistake.  Don't be that guy.   ;)

This in spades.

Bob
Je Suis Charlie

Offline jroback

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 05:19:54 AM »
I agree that the Shadow T is legal for IDPA.

Also, there are discrepancies between IPSC and USPSA legal guns. Regarding USPSA legality, here's a link to the production list:  http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-NROI-production-gunlist.php

It says specifically that these guns are legal:  ....CZ75 Shadow T Black4.60" Barrel (40 oz.), CZ75 Shadow T Duo Tone 4.60" (40 oz.),  .....  CZ75 SP01 Shadow Target Black4.6 (42 oz.), CZ75 SP01 Shadow Target Duo 4.60 (42 oz.)......

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 08:51:02 AM »
jroback, the Shadow Target has had the slide milled by a 3rd party gunsmith, the same thing that makes the AccuShadow SSP illegal.

Offline steel

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 10:07:04 AM »
I bought mine under the premise that it was legal for IDPA SSP and IPSC Production over two years ago.  Excerpt from the CZC website is as follows:

CZ 75 Shadow T BLACK (91703) 9x19
IDPA Approved! SSP Legal
Matt BLACK Slide And BLACK Poly Coat Frame..
Pre B Configuration Shadow Slide NO firing pin blocks.
Fully Adjustable Champion Rear Sight.
Fiber Optic Front Sight  (1.0mm Insert)
CZ 75 SA Style Short Dust Cover, Swept Hi Rise Beaver tail Frame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline jroback

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 12:38:39 PM »
Interestingly, the page for CZ 75 Shadow T 91703 has disappeared from the CZC website, but I also remember the blurb from above (SSP legal).  That notwithstanding, I believe it is still IDPA ESP legal.  And its USPSA legal. 

Offline crashdodson

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 03:59:38 PM »
Reviving this thread here.  The Shadow target is listed under USPSA production specifically.  Can anyone verify if this is now legal under IDPA SSP and thus ESP? 

Offline mdz0136

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 04:43:16 PM »
Reviving this thread here.  The Shadow target is listed under USPSA production specifically.  Can anyone verify if this is now legal under IDPA SSP and thus ESP?

From the rulebook valid as of 03/01/2015...
SSP - 8.2.1.3.1 Sights may be changed to another notch and post type. Slides may not be machined to accept different style sights.
ESP - 8.2.2.2.1 Sights may be changed to another notch and post type. Slides may be machined to accept different style sights.

As IDescribe stated previously, the Shadow Target slide is milled to install the LPA style rear sight so I don't think it is legal for SSP but would be OK for ESP.

Offline brisix

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 11:47:02 PM »
It is not legal in ESP because of the full length dust cover.   The only way a pistol is legal in ESP with a full length dust cover is if it SSP legal.

Offline Canuck44

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 12:20:40 AM »
It is not legal in ESP because of the full length dust cover.   The only way a pistol is legal in ESP with a full length dust cover is if it SSP legal.

Correct answer.

Take Care

Bob
Je Suis Charlie

anything