Author Topic: Noob and hello  (Read 1051 times)

Miked053

Noob and hello
« on: December 14, 2006, 09:08:38 PM »
Hey guys I am new to this forum and just wanted to introduce myself.

I recently got a SP-01 and I love the gun but have a few things that I would like to ask you guys, considering this is my first CZ.

1. Where can I get mags for my sp01 every where i go no one has em
2. Is there a way to lighten trigger pull? (as it seems real heavy right now DA is gritty and very hard at first start of pull)
3. the trigger has a lot of "sloppiness" to it. Where the trigger breaks and fires is very predictable but I would like to take out the slack as it were.
4. Where can I find the things that you guys will recomend me getting for questions 1-3? ;)

I know this is a lot to throw out there but thanks for all your patience and help.
-Michael

Offline twoguns

Noob and hello
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 09:57:07 PM »
Howdy Mr. Mike,

Welcome to the wonderful world of CZ addiction.  I am fairly new to the forum as well.  I don't own an SP-01 yet (just a 75 B in 40), but it will be my next purchase.  I just can't seem to resist the cold sweats when I think about it.

But I have noticed the folks here are very helpful with information and suggestions.  Since I don't own this one, I will keep quiet and let someone who does answer your questions.  Just keep checking, as I am sure someone will answer you shortly.

Welcome aboard, but I can tell you from personal experience already, CZs can be mighty addictive :D

twoguns

Offline Scfish

Noob and hello
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 08:04:02 AM »
Hello and welcome to the forum.  

If you are satisfied with 16 round magazines, MecGars can be had for about $20 from Midway or CDNN (perhaps others).  I highly recommend the MecGars.  If you want the higher capacity magazine such as came with your gun they are much more expensive and can be puchased from CZ or from Ghosholster.

Trigger jobs are almost a necessity given the usual triggers from the factory.  Who can do it depends on whether you have a decocker or safety.  You will pay from $200 to $350 for qualilty trigger/action work (including shipping).  Angus and Matt Mink (on the forum) do excellent work as does Jim Moissi (also on the forum).  Jim does the safety version only.  Mike Eaglesheid is the CZ Gunsmith, and can handle it very well also.

Offline Boogalou

Noob and hello
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 10:38:54 AM »
Concerning the trigger job, if you are a DIY type of guy, you can improve it by installing a lighter hammer spring, and polishing all the contact surfaces in the trigger mechanism, paying close attention to the hammer hooks & sear.  if you have a the de-cocker version it would probably be best to contact Mike Eagleshield, Angus Hobdell or Matt Mink for trigger work, as dis-assembly of this version is not for the faint of heart.  The safety versions are a little easier to work on.    If you have the safety version, you could purchase the following video to give you a basic idea on CZ dis-assembly.

www.americangunsmith.com/view.php?id=5

Sometimes you can find this video on Ebay for a good price.

Another way to improve the trigger is to dryfire the hell out of it, and that usually improves things.

As Scfish said, Jim Miossi does trigger work but is really backed-up right now.  

Offline Stuart

Noob and hello
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 12:16:55 PM »

the 16rnd mecgar mags are great..you can find them at CDNN, AZ gunrunners, cheaper than dirt, and occassionally on the forums..the 19rnd SP01 mags , Angus has them at ghostholster and you can find them on gunbroker...

trigger jobs...as said..Matt, Angus, Jim Miossi and CZ are the best places to go..my SP01 Matt Mink did and it breaks 6#DA and 1.8#SA and keeps getting better..

for a quick one..lighten your hammer spring and bend the trigger spring..that will lighten a bit..another thing that helps is to stone your  hammer hooks to take square it and shorten it. this will shorten amount your sear needs to travel to release and takes out the negative angle to eliminate the camming.

but if you send it to Matt or Angus..( the two I have experience with) your SP01 will come back and amaze you..
stuart@czcustom.com
czcustom.com

Miked053

Noob and hello
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 06:46:14 PM »
How do I get a hold of Matt or Angus?
Once again thanks for all the help and I do have the safty version not the tactical with the decocker. What is the turn around on a trigger job and I probibly cant afford to do any of this till after the holidays but its worth it to me to look into now.

Miked053

Noob and hello
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 07:10:55 PM »
Also what will adding the sa/da competition hammer do for me? Also  will the main and recoil springs be a good idea and what pounds should I get there, if I should at all?

Offline Stuart

Noob and hello
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 09:15:27 PM »
you can reach angus though his website..ghostholster.com
or matt mink you can reach over at CZ shooters, he is a moderator there..

if you send to them..they will install the springs and hammer for you..the hammer is oversized so you can cut the pads to match the sear..with the factory hammer you have to cut so much metal off that sometimes it changes the timing and then other things need to be addressed..

as far as springs go..try a 16# or 15# for the hammer spring..be sure to test with all your loads for reliability..I have a cut 15# in mine and it sets off WIN, Federal, CCI and Remington primers..basically everything I plan on shooting in the gun..for recoil spring..for competition loads I use an 11#, for carry type +p loads I use a 14#

hope that helps
stuart@czcustom.com
czcustom.com