Author Topic: Striker-fire choices: Make mine Steyr.  (Read 3616 times)

Offline Cyanide

Striker-fire choices: Make mine Steyr.
« on: October 30, 2014, 01:14:57 PM »

To preface this, I must admit that in my 24 years dealing with pistols I prefer a hammer-fired pistol and that will be that. Moving forward now.

My first venture into the realm of striker fire pistols was like a lot of other people: Glock. I started with a Gen 3 19 and shot it well enough, then bought a Gen 4 26. Like many others, I had my gripes and knew that Glock was in no way, shape, or form the be all, end all. And though I do like them, would have absolutely no issue carrying one, and admire them for their success (regardless of how they achieved it), I no longer own any and don't see having one again anytime soon, if ever.

Along the way I've added Walthers, Ruger, Taurus (all sold/selling), and have repeatedly shot multiple M&P's and XD's. I've handled the new Sig P320 and HK VP-9 every chance I get. I know that handling and dry firing a pistol can only tell you so much, but it tells me enough, and I don't see anything on those two that jumps out at me screaming, "I'm better! Buy me!" They just don't do it for me for one reason or another. Enough said.

Now onto my story...

A good friend owns a Steyr and suggested I check them out. Easier said than done since they aren't well-stocked at most places but, I did as much digging around the web gathering info between reviews and actual talk throughout the various forums. Found it interesting reading in several places how Wilhelm Bubits had a hand in the original Glock design, then later on had a few design improvements that apparently Gaston did not like. So whatever happened, happened, Wilhelm's ideas ended up at Steyr, and the rest is history.

As luck would have it, I happened to find an original 1st generation M9 at a gun store along a route I was driving awhile back. I immediately put it side by side with a Glock 19 for comparison.

Then came the moment of truth, and I was hooked....

Immediately I noticed a much better natural point-of-aim and balance in hand, no doubt due to the simplest of changes; a slightly less aggressive grip angle and a slimmer, narrower grip. Then there were the trapezoid sights, a lighter-feeling, smoother trigger with a much shorter travel, and an easier field-stripping technique.

So my search began for an improved newer generation model (the "-A1" designation) and within a week I had found a used C9-A1 at another gun store along my route. After messing with it beside another G19, it went on layaway and my 19 was easily sold off a few days later to fund the remaining balance. Oh, and buy lots of ammo.

Almost 2 years and over 2k rounds fired later, and it's still going strong. Aside from an initial issue I had with the original 15-rd mag springs being weak and not reliably locking the slide back following the last shot (17-rd mags perform flawlessly), I've had zero issues with it, or the compact S9-A1.

Why I prefer the Steyr over the competition:

Ergonomics
It may look funky to some, but it has a grip angle that reminds me of holding an old P-08 Luger. The controls are also easy for me to reach and operate. The pistol sits very deep in your hand, and the backstrap & beavertail area provide a lot of real estate to balance the pistol out and protect from any possible slide bite. *Glock is shown since it has the least amount of backstrap area of pistols I've owned, short of putting on the extended beavertail insert.

Also, whereas other manufacturers' subcompact pistols have extremely short grips that only allow for two fingers with the pinky wrapped under the magazine barring an extension, the Steyr S-A1 has just enough real estate to get a full hand wrap (unless you have giant bear paws). Based on it's width I don't know if I'd ever call it a true subcompact, but it does work for me in a deep concealment role.

Trigger
Hands down, this is the best striker-fire trigger on the market to me. It has an extremely short travel of 4mm that is smooth and makes it's pull weight feel lighter than it is (mine both register around 5.2#).

I personally prefer the trigger safety design on the Steyr over the majority of it's peers. Whereas Glocks, PPQ's, XD's, SR's have a hinged, pivot safety lever, Steyr uses a plunger style safety. Think of it as a miniature 1911 trigger that pulls straight back to disengage.

Sights
Steel, and with a very unique, yet effective trapezoidal design which really draws your eyes to your target, especially up close at shorter ranges. There's also traditional 3-dot sights available (comes with a red front sight dot), and tritium 3-dots also.

Disassembly

Ensure the pistol is clear, dry fire to release the sear, then push in the internal lock button with your finger, then simultaneously rotate the takedown lever and you're done.

CC'ing
The Steyr grip angle lends itself well to concealment, especially the compact S/S-A1 models IWB. Me personally, I will take a slightly thicker slide yet a slimmer grip, and yes, the Steyr slide is beefy, as you can see from the pictures.
Have no fear however, there are several companies that make quality, Steyr-specific holsters for them.

Now, for things I think that Steyr could improve upon:

Trigger
Improve the reset. Those who want a very hard, positive reset will be disappointed, as it is very soft and faint.

Compact Magazine
Redesign it minus the huge plastic spacer on the bottom portion and squeeze in another couple of rounds.

Grip Texture
Roughen it up with some aggressive stippling from the factory. Think of it as the same feel on a Gen 3 Glock.

Front Slide Serrations
The new L-A1 has them, so it'd be nice to see them offered on at least the newer M-A1 and C-A1 models.

Caliber Availability
Make it in a .45 ACP variant for fans of that caliber. It would sell!

Marketing
I truly believe that if Steyr would push harder marketing their pistols and, make the effort to get accessories stocked up then they could possibly be a major player.

The problem is, how many shooters outside of the many firearm forums know about them here in the U.S.? Example: every time I go to the range there's always a couple of shooters there who have no idea what it is when I'm shooting it.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 03:40:38 PM by Cyanide »

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
Re: Striker-fire choices: Make mine Steyr.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 02:12:30 PM »
Very very Interesting and a very nice Pistol!  8)  I very much like the ergonomics of it and I might pick one up, should the opportunity present itself.
I would probably opt for the L9-A1 version.  :)
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline Cyanide

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 02:56:05 PM »
Now, where's Firemanjones at? He's been waiting for this...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 03:01:41 PM by Cyanide »

Offline Firemanjones

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 10:05:06 PM »
I am right here and appreciate you telling me about the Steyrs.
I started out with 3 Walther's in the early 80's; the P5 which is my all time favorite, the PP(380) and the PPK/S(380). Then I went with the PPS(sold), Betetta 92fs(sold), Cougar(sold), 92 Comact among many others. My favorite shooting guns are now my CZs.
My choice of a striker pistol if I should decide to get one again would be a PPQ or one of the Steyrs.
I  love the hammer style pistols without a safety but with a decocker.

Thanks Cyanide.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 10:07:06 PM by Firemanjones »
Safety First
Living the dream, driving a Fire Engine RETIRED shooting my Guns in FL and the Mountains of NC and visiting family in Mannheim.

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 12:09:24 AM »
Wow, great write up Cyanide! I myself have not warmed up to striker fired pistols, but when or if I do, I will definitely keep the Steyr in mind I will keep an eye out for one so I can check it out.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Cyanide

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 12:57:29 AM »
Thanks everyone! Just sharing my thoughts on my unconventional choice lol.

For walther, why not a P99 AS vice the PPQ? Ya get the same great trigger pull in SA, plus the added DA capability and a decocker. Essentially a striker fire DA/SA like we are used to with our CZ's.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 01:00:36 AM by Cyanide »

Offline Tok36

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 01:17:26 AM »
Interesting stuff. Thank you for taking the time.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Cyanide

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 01:53:16 AM »

Again, thank you. Anything I can do to try passing along some good info, especially if it is about a pistol others may be interested in.

Offline muggia59

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 05:48:59 AM »
Nice write up and I always appreciate the visual comparisons. My flip phone keeps me from being able to post pictures. My buddy has owned a Steyr for 2+ years now, and loves it. Replaced his G19. I shot it and liked it. I have owned 3 Springfield XDs and a G19. Currently own a LC9s, and an SR9c. Still more comfortable carrying a gun with a safety or a 1st shot DA.
CZ SP01 Tactical, CZ SP01 Phantom, CZ P07, CZP01, CZCadet kit, CZ Scorpion EVO S1.

Offline Sancho

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 05:59:23 AM »
I see that Steyrs are popular with the Government of Iran.
Maybe there is something to the pistols too.

http://www.guns.com/2012/07/13/steyr-hs-50-sniper-rifles-iran/

Sancho
I was already despicable, long before it was cool!

Offline Firemanjones

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 08:08:47 AM »
Thanks everyone! Just sharing my thoughts on my unconventional choice lol.

For walther, why not a P99 AS vice the PPQ? Ya get the same great trigger pull in SA, plus the added DA capability and a decocker. Essentially a striker fire DA/SA like we are used to with our CZ's.

I have had the P99AS in mind as well. I keep going back and forth between the two Walthers. One of the PPQs has the 5" barrel which would be great for target shooting.
Safety First
Living the dream, driving a Fire Engine RETIRED shooting my Guns in FL and the Mountains of NC and visiting family in Mannheim.

Offline 75Plus

• +12
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 11:49:12 AM »

What's wrong with these pictures? The second and third row.  :-\ :-\

Joe
“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.”
George Washington

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Offline Cyanide

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 12:25:10 PM »
Joe, 2nd row is where I reversed the images for a muzzle to muzzle shot as I didn't think to line then up that way when I did the original pics.

Offline Cyanide

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 12:27:25 PM »
Nice write up and I always appreciate the visual comparisons....Still more comfortable carrying a gun with a safety or a 1st shot DA.
Thanks Muggia59. You and I both on 1st shot DA.

*Edit on 5-27-15:
My opinion on striker fire choices may be changing after I am able to get my FNH FNS-9 off of layaway in a few weeks...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 08:42:03 AM by Cyanide »