Author Topic: Number Two  (Read 1839 times)

Offline AllanWJ

Number Two
« on: November 21, 2014, 02:24:53 AM »
The addiction has really taken hold. I bought a used 75B in .40 a couple of weeks ago, Cajunized it, and was just plain astounded at the beauty of these pistols. So, of course, I had to have more. :)

I grabbed a new 75B in 9mm from Bud's this week and did another Cajun upgrade with a few more extras. I took the race hammer and sear back off the .40 and returned it to stock, leaving it with just the Ultra Lite kit. I put the race hammer and sear on the Nine along with another Ultra Lite kit, OEM height F/O FS, and converted it to SAO. I bought an extra hammer strut so I could leave the stock hammer and disconnect pinned in case I ever want to put it back to stock - it'll just be a drop in assembly at that point.

Then I pinned the race hammer to the new strut, left out the disconnect and the FP block and lever, used CZ Custom's spacer (with some fitting) and polished everything relevant. I bought the straight trigger from CGW, mostly because I've never had a straight trigger on a gun and wanted to see what they're all about. I'm glad I did - I love it. I also ordered some thin Cocobola grips (half checker) for a little more bling and I'm seriously thinking of a Cerakote job now. Something about these guns that makes me wanna dress them up. :)

I know, just another 75B. I gotta say too that the OEM height front sight is a nice touch. Good score on that one Dave.

Anyway, loving the CZ world. Next up is a 97B - just gotta have one. :)

One more thing. I know the 13lb mainspring doesn't contribute all that much to SA pull, but there's more reasons than that for going with another Ultra Lite kit. Or at least the CGW firing pin, fp spring and 13lb mainspring. I looked at the stop pin in the .40 and it was well hammered. Having the right radius on the FP is worth it it all by itself. The previous owner had taken it out at least once because both sides of the pin showed the damage 180 degrees apart. Not sure how long it would've lasted.

Allan

Offline Tok36

Re: Number Two
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 02:40:32 AM »
Interesting stuff AllanWJ. Thanks for the post and the great pictures. I have not had a chance to see a used retaining pin until now (great reference picture!). Its not just another 75B, its your home gunsmithed awesome single action 75B.

Ill be digging into one of mine soon. I hope it comes out looking as undamaged as yours ;D.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Birds Away

• OSCM(SW/AW) USN (Ret.)
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 12:36:36 PM »
Allan, you have a beautiful gun.  To me the beauty is that something so simple and understated can function like it does.  The bling, if you will, all happens at the range.
In Memoriam 04/02/2021

Offline Ed Gordon

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 09:44:49 PM »
Looks great....as some VZ grips and I'll take her!
CZ 550 American .243
CZ 452 .22LR
CZ 75BD 9mm
CZ 75B 9mm

Offline AllanWJ

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 01:29:19 AM »
Interesting stuff AllanWJ. Thanks for the post and the great pictures. I have not had a chance to see a used retaining pin until now (great reference picture!). Its not just another 75B, its your home gunsmithed awesome single action 75B.

Ill be digging into one of mine soon. I hope it comes out looking as undamaged as yours ;D.

You're welcome. The pics of the retaining pin were instructive. :)

These guns are not hard to work on at all after the initial detail strip. I was surprised how well I remembered everything the second time through. I just finished Volquartsenizing a 22/45 Mark III and even though that was easy, I didn't retain enough to do it again without checking some videos. After doing the .40, the nine just sort of happened on its own.  Not sure what that says about the gun, but it's nice when I don't have to reference anything to detail it after just one strip.

Allan

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 01:45:30 AM »
Very thoughtful and useful report Allan. 
Great pic showing the hazards of likely some dry fire thrown in with live fire shooting.
I have 60K+ rounds on my 75B with the original pin and and an extended FP,  but was careful--mostly- with dry fire.  It also had a 13# or lighter (two coils cut off)  hammer spring for most of those rds.
I still need to get David's FP and retaining pin.  ::)

Offline AllanWJ

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 01:47:26 AM »
Allan, you have a beautiful gun.  To me the beauty is that something so simple and understated can function like it does.  The bling, if you will, all happens at the range.

I hear you about the function - it's indeed a thing of beauty.

I shot it today for the first time. I didn't even test it with the stock parts, which in hindsight was probably not the best idea. :) It groups extremely well, but the groups are 2 inches out at 10:30 at 15 yards - pretty much like the test target as a matter of fact. I'll have to drift the rear sight for windage, but I'm not sure about the best approach for bringing it down. I can't really raise the front sight if I want to keep the F/O and can't easily lower the rear.  I thought about re-cutting the notch and top - just move them both down. I've been a machinist for 40 some years so I can probably pull it off without destroying the gun. :) I'm open to suggestions though.

Allan

Offline AllanWJ

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 01:50:01 AM »
Looks great....as some VZ grips and I'll take her!

Sorry Ed - too late. :)

Allan

Offline AllanWJ

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 01:54:49 AM »
Very thoughtful and useful report Allan. 
Great pic showing the hazards of likely some dry fire thrown in with live fire shooting.
I have 60K+ rounds on my 75B with the original pin and and an extended FP,  but was careful--mostly- with dry fire.  It also had a 13# or lighter (two coils cut off)  hammer spring for most of those rds.
I still need to get David's FP and retaining pin.  ::)

Even though David's FP is suposed to be dry-fire proof, I still like having an O-ring in there. I don't know the previous owner so I don't know how much of either he did with it. Obviously enough to start the damage on the pin.

Allan

Alpha Sierra

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 02:28:06 PM »
I'll have to drift the rear sight for windage, but I'm not sure about the best approach for bringing it down. I can't really raise the front sight if I want to keep the F/O and can't easily lower the rear.
The easiest thing to do to bring the POI down is to go to Dawson Precision's website.  They have a calculator that you can use to select the correct front sight height based on how far off you are between POA and POI and the sight radius of your pistol.

Dawson has CZ FO front sights in all kinds of width and height combinations so you should be able to find something that will bring the hits down to where they should be.

BTW, bringing the front and rear sights down by the same amount will do nothing to change POI.  You have to either bring the front sight up (to lower POI) or lower the rear sight, or both.  But if you move both they have to do so in opposite directions.

Offline AllanWJ

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 04:27:05 PM »
I'll have to drift the rear sight for windage, but I'm not sure about the best approach for bringing it down. I can't really raise the front sight if I want to keep the F/O and can't easily lower the rear.
The easiest thing to do to bring the POI down is to go to Dawson Precision's website.  They have a calculator that you can use to select the correct front sight height based on how far off you are between POA and POI and the sight radius of your pistol.

Dawson has CZ FO front sights in all kinds of width and height combinations so you should be able to find something that will bring the hits down to where they should be.

BTW, bringing the front and rear sights down by the same amount will do nothing to change POI.  You have to either bring the front sight up (to lower POI) or lower the rear sight, or both.  But if you move both they have to do so in opposite directions.

I was hoping not to have to buy another FS. :) I'm thinking of recutting just the rear sight - bring the top and notch down equally. That would have the same effect as lowering it. It's not a big deal either way.

Here's the last target of the day yesterday after 4 magazines to warm up with. 15 yards, 24 rounds using "Kentucky windage." That's actually a lot better than I normally shoot. I seemed to have found a groove at 7 o'clock. I just need to remember to keep the FS in the lower right corner of the rear.  ;D