Author Topic: CZ 75 Compact, weak primer stike or Ammo problem?  (Read 1930 times)

Offline clampit

CZ 75 Compact, weak primer stike or Ammo problem?
« on: November 25, 2014, 01:09:32 AM »
New to a great forum.  I just reciently bought the CZ 75 Compact (old 1911 guy) and before I took it to the range I thought I would make a few inhancements which I pulled off the forum.  Disassembled and polished all of the parts to a mirror finish.  Changed the guide rod and spring to the stainless steel with the coil spring.  Replaced the main spring to the 13#.  I love this gun, everything is as smooth as butter.  I also changed the front sight due to failing eyes.  My goups are tighter that a drum.  At seven yards off hand everything is in the 9 and 10 ring.  Now for the problem, I put 160 rounds of 115 grain reloads through it without one problem.  OAL of round 1.125  I also put 160 rounds of 124 grain American Eagle through it with one major problem, about 1 in 6 times I would have to pull the trigger 2 or 3 times to get the primer to fire.  OAL is 1.160  Before that when I checked the primer it looked like a good strike.  :-\    I would really appreciate any and all input.   

Offline cntrydawwwg

Re: CZ 75 Compact, weak primer stike or Ammo problem?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 03:33:19 AM »
I haven't had problems with Amer. Eagle myself. It very well could be the 13lb hammer spring. CGW recommends using the reduced power firing pin spring when using their 13lb hammer spring. Even better is their extended firing pin kit. Guaranteed to ignite any primer and you can dry fire without worrying about breaking the firing pin.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Alpha Sierra

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 05:29:45 AM »
CGW advises that no hammer spring below 15 lbs should be used without an extended firing pin and reduced power FP return spring.  I suggest you either go to a 15 lb hammer spring or change your FP and FP spring.

I doubt the different OALs have anything to do with your problem.

Offline clampit

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 09:56:49 AM »
Thank you for the replys, I do have a correction though.  It was not American Eagle Ammo it was MBI (Military Ballistic Industry).  Looks like my next stop will be CGW.  Thanks Guys!

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 09:50:48 PM »
Welcome to the Forum CP
As stated above, your issue is the 13lb Hammer Spring
Some Primers are just more sensitive than others
Mostly because of their Cup Hardness
Take it up a notch and you'll find a big difference in your reliability
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before .... AND what's coming after HIM !

Offline CZTom

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 11:32:35 PM »
Agree with others about increasing the hammer spring.  Also, some military ammo use harder primer material than others.
--Tom

Offline clampit

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 12:34:54 AM »
Thank you for the added replys.  Update:  I deceided to order the Extended firing pin and the associated springs from CGW.  I was thinking of going back to the OEM main spring but my groups are so tight with the lighter main spring I really would hate to mess it up.  I'm hopeing the extended firing pin with the lighter firing pin spring will do the trick.  Can't wait to find out. 

Offline Stuart

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 12:54:15 AM »
ext firing pin and the light FP spring will take care of the issue.

Offline gdawgs56

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 01:06:20 AM »
I agree with everyone. Even with the 11.5# mainspring, and the ext. FP and lightened springs I have reliable ignition with most primers.

Let us know when you get the new stuff
CZ75 SP-01 Tactical Custom 9mm
MP 9mm 2.0
Glock 19

Offline clampit

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 01:42:13 PM »
Another update:  I'm still waiting for the parts from CGW, this is not the time of year to order parts. (Snail Mail) While I have been waiting I deceided to make my own grips as well.   As soon as I get my parts and install them, I'll give a report and post pictures of my target and gun.   

Offline BDG

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 01:38:03 AM »
Another update:  I'm still waiting for the parts from CGW, this is not the time of year to order parts. (Snail Mail) While I have been waiting I deceided to make my own grips as well.   As soon as I get my parts and install them, I'll give a report and post pictures of my target and gun.

Do you think you could also post some pictures of your upgrade during the upgrade process?
I will be upgrading a PO1 in about a month and I would like to see some current images of the compact in process, if possible.
Thanks and best wishes on the upgrade.

Alpha Sierra

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 09:39:33 AM »
While I have been waiting I deceided to make my own grips as well.
It would be great if you could document the process and results of making your own grips.

Thanks

Offline clampit

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 10:59:48 AM »
Alpha Sierra,  The grips are already made, I'll take some pictures and try to post the with some information.  I made them out of Buckeye Burl with some basic tools. 

BDG,  There are some really good instructions in the Gunsmithing section on this Forum.  I will post some pictures with instruction.