Author Topic: Fast Slide Lock Reload  (Read 1521 times)

Offline Smitty79

• So many guns, so little time
Fast Slide Lock Reload
« on: November 25, 2014, 08:16:49 PM »
I'm going to shoot my first IDPA match on Saturday. Rather than shoot my CZ (USPSA Production gun), I'm going to shoot my almost new Heritage.

In USPSA, I almost never do slide lock reloads, so I haven't worried about the technique.  I have many other things costing me time.   IDPA is all slide locks all the time.

In reading about the fastest technique, Ben Stoeger says using the weak hand to release the slide lock is the fastest slide lock reload technique. When practicing this, I found that the Heritage's slide lock is too tight to release quickly. Is there something I can do to make this easier to do without potential of breaking the gun? Will it loosen up with rounds down range?
Don't mistake my high post count for knowledge or wisdom.   I just like hearing myself type.

Offline painter

Re: Fast Slide Lock Reload
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 07:01:44 AM »
Are you practicing with loaded mags or empties?

I don't own a DW, and a Kahr CM9 is about as distant a relative as you can get, but...

on that pistol the slide lock is almost impossible to release on an empty mag. Much easier with rounds loaded in the mag.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Smitty79

• So many guns, so little time
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 07:55:24 AM »
I'm using a magazine loaded with a snap cap.
Don't mistake my high post count for knowledge or wisdom.   I just like hearing myself type.

Offline Jay Dee

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 09:46:17 AM »
I shoot a DW in USPSA Single Stack and have been practicing slide lock reloads as well.

When I timed these, I found that weak hand thumb releasing the slide lock was faster on target than either strong hand thumb or slingshot-ing the slide. It requires practice to unlearn whatever you've been doing in production, but with some drills and a few range sessions it is quite natural now.

If your DW is stainless and new, it is likely quite tight. It should smooth up a bit with use. With both of my stainless DWs it is necessary to lubricate generously. Keith at DW recommends FP10 or Militec.