Author Topic: Front Sights  (Read 2048 times)

Offline 1dog1

Front Sights
« on: December 01, 2014, 04:40:57 PM »
Hello All............I have a little bit of a situation and I think we can come up with a solution. I purchased an E-Z/D-9/40 Sight Set for my SP 01 from Cajun Gun Works. I just had the set installed last week and picked up the gun Sunday morning. Here's my dilemma.....My old eyes are having a very hard time picking up the front site and I feel like I'm shooting blind. I think I might have to go with a large white dot or a white post. Can I accomplish this by still useing the rear sight from CGW?

Offline emjei

Re: Front Sights
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 04:45:40 PM »
You will need to get a DAWSON Front Sight the same High BUT thicker......at least .120Wide

Offline emjei

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 04:46:27 PM »
I think CGW Sights are .170 Tall ......I think !!

Offline 1dog1

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 08:27:37 AM »
Thanks you....So that's all that is out there? I really like the White Dot set up on my P07.

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 02:15:29 PM »
I'm a little confused, you can't pick up the front fiber optic?  Are you shooting indoors or outdoors?  What type of shooting are you doing: general range target practice, USPSA, Bullseye, etc...?  The reason for the confusion is for me the fiber optic sight is the easiest to pick up, it just glows bright even in very little light.

First thing I would try is to replace the fiber optic with a different color.  There are more than just red and green colors out there and it's relatively cheap to try.

If you still don't like the fiber optic you could get a plain black one and have a dot milled into it and fill it with what ever color you want (or just leave it).

Dawson has a selection of plain black sights:
https://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80001715-1388518373

Cheers,
Toby

This forum rocks!

Offline 1dog1

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 05:00:42 PM »
Hey Toby and thanks for your input. Yes, I should have went into more detail about the front sight. It's a green optic and I was shooting indoors. But you are right I should be able to pick it up. I'm going to a different range tonight to give it another try. The range I went to on Sunday for some reason I do not shoot very well, I don't know why, I just don't. I will give you a update tomorrow and thanks again for the heads up on the Dawson site. It looks like a good option.

Offline cntrydawwwg

Front Sights
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 05:15:19 PM »
By any chance are you color blind? Not being a smart a#%. I'm color blind. What few fiber optics I've looked at, I have found that I have trouble with green. Green just blends into more things than Amber or red. For me blue would be the most perfect color. Since I don't know much about fiber optic, I don't even know if they make blue. Does anyone know if they do?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 07:53:19 PM by cntrydawwwg »
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline andrewtac

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 06:31:41 PM »
Like said above the fiber optic replacements are cheap.  If you are in S.MD I'll give you a piece of red to try.  Outdoors the red is so bright I have actually written on it with a sharpie to dim it some.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 09:39:43 PM »
By any chance are you color blind? Not being a smart a#%. I'm color blind. What few fiber optics I've looked at, I have found that I have trouble with green. Green just blends into more things than Amber or red. For me blue would be the most perfect color. Since I don't know much about fiber optic, I don't even know if they make blue. Does anyone know if they do?

cntry,  this site is where I buy mine.  They have 1mm and 1.5mm ++.   Read the description of the "Violet" rod:  http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=8_22&products_id=842

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 09:47:55 PM »
Wow! Thanks 1SOW. I've got it bookmarked. When I get a chance I'll order some for my 75B.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 10:38:01 PM »
Hope this works better for you.
I've had good results from this company and the price is unbeatable.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 10:42:36 PM »
Wow! Thanks 1SOW. I've got it bookmarked. When I get a chance I'll order some for my 75B.

+1, i have been meaning to try out more of the available colors. Thanks!
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline 1dog1

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 07:48:10 AM »
Good morning everyone and thank you for the feedback. I went to a different range last night and sure enough it was a much better experience. The lighting was much better and I took off my prescription glasses and wore my safety glasses. I was able to pick up the fiber optic much much better. I wear progressive glasses and I didn't realize I had to tilt my head farther back than usual to get a good sight picture. By getting rid of the glasses and using no prescription lens I was able to pick up my front sight much faster.