Author Topic: Frustrated Folding Stock  (Read 5664 times)

Offline teezoen

Frustrated Folding Stock
« on: January 17, 2015, 03:31:50 PM »
So, today I went to the local Military Surplus store and was surprised to see a vz.2008 there. I got it, and I didn't bother watching the salesman operate the folding stock. It was unfolded when I looked at it, folded and in the box when I looked up from the paperwork.

I feel like such a moron, but I cannot, CANNOT figure out how to operate it. I've watched people online do it as easy as buttoning a shirt, but I've pressed every bleep thing anywhere NEAR the stock that looks like a button and I can't make it move an inch! Where the heck is this button and how the hell do I press it? All I've got from trying at the moment is sore fingers. -_-;
CZ P-01 (9mm)
CZ SP-01 Tactical (9mm)

Offline vblue42

Re: Frustrated Folding Stock
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 03:47:21 PM »
It's the button on the bottom.

Offline teezoen

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 03:54:42 PM »
That's what I thought it was, ugh. I got it working, but I had to find something else to press with. There was literally an impression of it in my finger and it wouldn't budge. I worked it a few times and now it seems to work half decently. Holy CRAP. -_-

Anyway- now, it needs cleaned, lubed, and a bag. And ammo.
CZ P-01 (9mm)
CZ SP-01 Tactical (9mm)

Offline Brasky

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 06:08:29 PM »
That's what I thought it was, ugh. I got it working, but I had to find something else to press with. There was literally an impression of it in my finger and it wouldn't budge. I worked it a few times and now it seems to work half decently. Holy CRAP. -_-

Anyway- now, it needs cleaned, lubed, and a bag. And ammo.

If you're touching any part of the stock while pressing the button it will bind and be extremely difficult to push. Only hold the gun and let gravity fold the stock as you press the button

Offline IamCaleb

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 06:59:08 PM »
Also, that "button " will unscrew and you can take the stock hinge apart. Degrease, clean, and regrease. Put it back together and work it a bunch of times, it will loosen up.

At first with mine, I had to tap it with a non marring mallet to fold/unfold it. Smooth as butter, now.

Offline teezoen

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 09:47:17 PM »
Alright, I will do that on the first strip/clean/lube upcoming. Any other tips for a first time "real" rifle owner? Like what stuff you recommend using or anything?
CZ P-01 (9mm)
CZ SP-01 Tactical (9mm)

Offline IamCaleb

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 11:02:29 PM »
For oil.... Mobile 1 Synthetic

Grease.... Wilson Combat Gun Grease

Offline RSR

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 03:45:39 PM »
I like the slip 2000 line.  Non-toxic and non-hazardous is important for me with something I handle a lot w/o gloves...  And unlike frog lube and the like, their grease is relatively unaffected by temperature or becoming rancid and degrading after a few months in storage, etc...

Offline vblue42

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 04:17:29 PM »
RSR what results have you seen with Froglube degrading after a period of time? I haven't seen this in my usage.

Offline nickndfl

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 07:10:30 PM »
The button sticks on some new units and in warmer weather is more prone to stick.  Oil it well and work it back and forth after you get it open.  You may need to wiggle the arm as you press the bottom button to open it.

Offline RSR

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 08:58:36 PM »
RSR what results have you seen with Froglube degrading after a period of time? I haven't seen this in my usage.

It's well documented. 

http://modernselfprotection.com/2013/10/22/frog-lube-review/
The Frog Lube seems to be sticky and/or attract gunk to the inside of my gun.
[...]
It also attracted more crap then I would expect my lubes to.  I only put a tiny amount of lube on my guns to prevent this kind of build up.  Even with just a touch of lube on the gun the Frog Lube seemed to attract everything and anything to the inside of the gun it came in contact with. 
[...]
Bottom line is that I?m comfortable with cleaning my gun every 1,000 rounds with Breakfree and only 500 rounds with Frog Lube.  I?m lazy and don?t want to do that much work, plus the Frog Lube is harder to clean with and I really don?t want a bunch of different cleaners in my cleaning kit.  I just want one.

http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-pistols/14839-word-causion-about-using-froglube.html
As many may know I have been highly recommending Froglube. The Sig Custom shop has Froglube on hand and it is a good product.....BUT.........
I have noticed a issue with using Froglube over the last year. I was very hesitant to post this until I did alot of my own testing. It has come to my attention that excess Froglube over time will get gummy and sticky. This isnt a problem because it is recommended to wipe off all Froglube, as per instructions, after treatment. Here is my issue,.. The problem occurs when treating a entire gun with Froglube. When you heat up the gun and use either the thin or thick version of Froglube, it migrates into your trigger, sear,springs,etc.... This initially is good thing because it protects and lubricates those parts. The problem is that you cant wipe off the excess....See where I am going with this..?? This excess of Froglube over time becomes "sticky" which attracts dirt....... I suspected this a month ago after 500 rounds through a few of my guns treated with Froglube. Both my P229's decocker's action would return slow as if treated with maple syrup. My only solution was to use my favorite CLP G96 to remove the Froglube from the internals of my guns. You would have to reapply Froglube all over and then the same stickiness would reoccur. I talked to Froglube directly about this and they said that any stickiness was caused by excess amounts of Froglube still present. So at this point.......It seemed counterproductive to constantly remove a product that would get gummy and sticky in hard to access parts of the gun. This means I could only use Froglube on my barrel and rails and out side of my gun. I want a system that works together. I started testing with Slip 2000 EWL oil and grease. The EWL is very similar to Froglube that it migrates into the pours of the metal and lubricates and prevents rust. The oil also can be used as a CLP much like Froglube. It is odorless and friendly on all materials. After a few months of using EWL, it has outperformed the Froglube simple by not getting sticky over time. It has migrated into my triggers and after a full tear down, all parts are still lubricated and clean with NO stickness. The difference with EWL is you can leave excess on or apply it and wipe it dry leaving a protective film much the way Froglube is suppose to work and can be used on all parts of the guns internals.

I am not pulling my endorsement of Froglube but wont recommend getting it into the internals of your gun.

I have already used this system with 7 of my guns that I shoot the most and the results are outstanding. The P938 is lightning fast. I will be switching all of my 27 handguns over to this system over the next month.

Frog lube having issues in the cold is also well documented.

Offline TJNewton

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 11:59:36 PM »
Also, that "button " will unscrew and you can take the stock hinge apart. Degrease, clean, and regrease. Put it back together and work it a bunch of times, it will loosen up.

At first with mine, I had to tap it with a non marring mallet to fold/unfold it. Smooth as butter, now.

It's important to assess each folding stock on a case-by-case basis.  On the first VZ2008 I had I flooded the hinge mechanism with penetrating oil, worked it back and forth, and the nut stripped out and fell off, completely unusable.  Luckily the threads on the bolt were still okay and I was able to improvise another nut.  On my second rifle, the retaining nut twisted off easily (wasn't peened), I cleaned the hinge mechanism, oiled it, and put it back together with blue loctite and it works great.  On my third, there was no way I was going to get that nut off without destroying it, so I flooded it with penetrating oil, worked most of the grit out, and now it works with no problems.  Make sure you use the correct fix for your situation. 

If you mess it up, the only place I know that sell the hinge bolts or retaining nuts separately is Ohio Ordnance Works.  To save you the ~$15 Fed Ex shipping charge for a $15 part, call them during business hours and they'll send it US Post for much less.

Offline IamCaleb

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 02:32:47 PM »
Great advice here, well stated.

It's important to assess each folding stock on a case-by-case basis.  On the first VZ2008 I had I flooded the hinge mechanism with penetrating oil, worked it back and forth, and the nut stripped out and fell off, completely unusable.  Luckily the threads on the bolt were still okay and I was able to improvise another nut.  On my second rifle, the retaining nut twisted off easily (wasn't peened), I cleaned the hinge mechanism, oiled it, and put it back together with blue loctite and it works great.  On my third, there was no way I was going to get that nut off without destroying it, so I flooded it with penetrating oil, worked most of the grit out, and now it works with no problems.  Make sure you use the correct fix for your situation. 

If you mess it up, the only place I know that sell the hinge bolts or retaining nuts separately is Ohio Ordnance Works.  To save you the ~$15 Fed Ex shipping charge for a $15 part, call them during business hours and they'll send it US Post for much less.

Offline gwvt

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 03:21:46 PM »
Yeah, both of mine were very tight as others have said but once I got it moving the first time, a drop or two of oil and several times opening and closing it was all it needed. After a day or two of working it occasionally, it should open and close easily.

Offline RSR

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 04:52:32 PM »
VZ2008s -- I'm uncertain of the teflon process (believe it's spray or electrostatic), but it appears they plug the barrel and then then apply relatively thickly to receiver, stock, etc...  A fair bit of that teflon appears to migrate into the folding stock threads, disassembly pin channels, stock button, etc, and actually serves to provide friction/tightness until the parts are worked a bit to smooth things out.