Author Topic: EVO accessories  (Read 14520 times)

Offline RSR

Re: EVO accessories
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2015, 02:35:33 AM »
The AFG is nice but the PTK is even better.  I have on all of my rifles.  It gives me much more control. 

+1

Along with the thumb stop - have on numerous weapon.

Never tried the PTK, but CP you might just convince me, haha.  The gas pedal is expensive but quality.  And the pts gaspedals aren't bad either, though I wouldn't recommend on the VZ58 just due to the heat they'd be exposed to (though they can probably take it...).  And when you combine the AFG and aluminum gas pedal, you're talking a $100 ergo enhancement...  PTS Gaspedal and AFG, you're looking at ~$50-60... 

Point being, the thumb rests are pretty great IMO...  Giving you much of the benefits of the infamous C grip, but in a fashion in which your thumb is oriented down range at target... Presumably helping with sight alignment and ensure your forearm is less intrusive into your sight picture as your arm/hand ends up slightly lower...  Especially with platforms like the VZ58 where there's a low sight/optic alignment...  (ARs sights sit much higher...)  With the EVO it probably isn't essential since you can c clamp w/ beveled top forend w/o getting into sight picture, but thumb rests on this platform would allow for more consistent ergos across weapon systems if you run a thumb rest setup elsewhere...

Does anyone know if FAB/the PTK has an ATF letter stating that its pistol kosher?  I believe the AFG has one stating specifically as much... 
Somewhere on the interwebs, I also saw a dude advocating running his AFG backwards making the angle more vertical...  Not sure of NFA considerations doing that, but he just preferred that setup on his rifle.  But this would probably give you the most vertical grip option without having to NFA your weapon, provided reversing direction doesn't constitute remaking, etc... Who knows with the sig brace decision though...

Found it:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 02:41:48 AM by RSR »

Offline Charlie-2-6

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2015, 05:37:00 PM »
[quote name="CitizenPete" post=481135 timestamp=1422029834]<br />[quote name="pokemon1989" post=480038 timestamp=1421636877]<br />Somewhere on the interwebs, I also saw a dude advocating running his AFG backwards making the angle more vertical...  <br /><br
One of our LVR competitors also runs his AFG2 backwards on his EVO. I got to try out on a few stages and have to admit that it felt quite comfortable.

Offline CitizenPete

• Universal Machine Gun Model 59 (UK Vzor 59)
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 10:24:02 AM »
The Fab PTK with thumb stop combo works on my VZ.58/AKM/even SIG 556R, but I don't know if they are appropriate for me on EVO 3 until I try it.   Need to find an EVO 3 first  :-\

I do have the Magpul as well, but for me personally, the FAB PTK is much more ergonomic, like a natural extension of the arm/hand pointing out at the target.

One question I have about the standard stop on the EVO, -- please know that I have not held one yet -- it looks like you could use the stop in between your thumb and index fingers an still potentially put the tip of your index over the front of the barrel?  Just enough to blow the finger tip off?
CP

The post above is opinion, and I am probably totally wrong, so please pardon me if I offend anyone in any way. I am speaking only for myself and just sharing my thoughts, not trying to start an argument with anyone, and if you disagree with anything I have said, I concede your correct.

Offline Psw757

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 12:27:00 PM »
Any word on when the adapters will be available?

CZ said by the end of the month and we are at the end of the month.

Offline TheLocNar

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 01:13:34 PM »
The Fab PTK with thumb stop combo works on my VZ.58/AKM/even SIG 556R, but I don't know if they are appropriate for me on EVO 3 until I try it.   Need to find an EVO 3 first  :-\

I do have the Magpul as well, but for me personally, the FAB PTK is much more ergonomic, like a natural extension of the arm/hand pointing out at the target.

One question I have about the standard stop on the EVO, -- please know that I have not held one yet -- it looks like you could use the stop in between your thumb and index fingers an still potentially put the tip of your index over the front of the barrel?  Just enough to blow the finger tip off?

Yeah don't do that. It's a stop, not a grip... unless you move it further back towards the magazine then maybe. But I'm unsure if the front of the stop is open which would allow this. I'll find out when I pick mine up in a few days. ;)

Offline TF135Sierra2Xray

• Prepare my hands for battle & my fingers for war
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2015, 01:31:54 PM »

Yeah don't do that. It's a stop, not a grip... unless you move it further back towards the magazine then maybe. But I'm unsure if the front of the stop is open which would allow this. I'll find out when I pick mine up in a few days. ;)

The front of the grip stop is open, and you can place it anywhere on any pic rail you care to.  At least the ones on mine are.
SGT, CAV
OEF1, OIF 1&2
Luke 22:36

Offline TheLocNar

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 05:30:09 PM »
Good to know!

Offline Charlie-2-6

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 02:41:28 PM »
Some of the setups I've seen overhere are thumb stop to the side rail and VFG or AFG on bottom rail and than use some sort of C-clamp type hold.

Since a picture says more than a 1000 words, here's a vid from one of our top LVR competitors in the open division (check out the thumb stop on the leftside of his EVO)

Offline Charlie-2-6

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 02:51:37 PM »
"They're good for "admin" storage of your mags."

I was afraid of that.   If you find a mag pouch that fits 30 rounders and is also a quality pouch, Shooting Systems comes to mind, please let us know.
I'm considering getting HSGI pistol mag tacos, or MP5 pouches from one of the other manufacturers

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2015, 08:26:33 PM »
The last word I had on the AR buffer tube adapter kits was "soon". I do know the 30 round magazines are inbound very soon.

Offline RSR

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2015, 11:40:07 PM »
The last word I had on the AR buffer tube adapter kits was "soon".

*That'd be an easy 922r option too, depending upon the tube you mount and which stock you put on it.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2015, 03:43:51 PM »
The buffer tube isn't a "stock", though. Parts list for "ten or less" game is as follows;
(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Buttstocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, handguards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floorplates

We're gonna need some serious domestic manufacturing...and perhaps someone to start making local magazines, as that takes care of three parts right there.

Offline RSR

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2015, 08:40:47 PM »
The buffer tube isn't a "stock", though.
[...]
We're gonna need some serious domestic manufacturing...and perhaps someone to start making local magazines, as that takes care of three parts right there.

Yep, the stock you put on the AR tube is though -- and there are a lot of US stock options that connect to ar buffer tubes/tube connectors.  That was my point.

I'd love to see a steel reinforced version of the Evo mags...  Like a Lancer AR mag for the EVOs.

Offline Nimdabew

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2015, 10:47:07 PM »
As far as the AR buffer tube goes, what will hold the stock in the vertical position? The AR has the receiver extension plate to keep it true with the receiver, but I didn't see anything like that when I saw video of the pistol extension thingie.
snakeye, no worries, I don't need someone in a leotard. :)

Offline RSR

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2015, 03:13:21 AM »
When you install the end plate on the AR, it helps with the alignment, but it spins with the stock as you're screwing it on and still allows some movement as you're tightening that castle nut down...  That's why primary weapons offers their $100+ buffer tubes that clamp on...  Don't think those would work here though... http://primaryweapons.com/accessories/buffertubes/

(I actually prefer the POF tube, though it's n/a for the EVO...  http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/buffer-tube-parts/buffer-tubes/ar-15-m16-anti-tilt-buffer-tube-prod64568.aspx )

So I don't really see how this would be different.  Regardless, you'd just want to ensure it's properly aligned before and as you you tighten the castle nut down.  I think AR torque specs is around 40 ft lbs if I recall correctly.  And then stake castle nuts too...