Author Topic: new gun.. problem with rails on the frame  (Read 1365 times)

Offline qboards

new gun.. problem with rails on the frame
« on: January 31, 2015, 03:28:16 PM »
Just bought my new cz 75B a couple days ago... Really enjoy everything about the gun except there is paint/finish along the inside rail of the frame... Where the slide fits into the frame along the rail for the first few centimeters there is that black matte finish. Everywhere else along the inside frame is smooth silver steel except for that one spot. Im not sure how to go about fixing this problem... I can feel how it effects the slide performance when racking back the slide.

I've been trying to attach a photo of the problem but cannot figure out how to post it on the forum... if any knows how to do that it would help out and make it much easier to see what my problem is.

if anyone has anything to add that would be great... thanks
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 04:22:06 PM by qboards »

Offline Joe L

Re: new gun.. problem with rails on the frame
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 03:47:17 PM »
Here is an FAQ on posting pictures. 

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=14704.0

Let us see what/where the problem is then we can help. 

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline rifmon

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 04:26:47 PM »
Interested in what people have to but I'm thinking that'll work it's way off with use.

Offline Joe L

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 04:39:45 PM »
Clean the guide rails both slide and frame and put some light grease in the grooves, the entire length.  Reassemble and rack the slide a few times.  It should feel fine.  If it doesn't, remove the slide and the barrel and the recoil spring, then put the bare slide back on the frame and see if it feels rough or smooth.  If it is rough, find the rough spot and smooth it out yourself unless you want to send it back. 

My bet is that cleaning the rails and re-lubing will let the slide cycle smoothly.  The rail grooves will not remain blued, they will become shiny, even if lubed well.   I don't think what you are seeing is anything unusual.  The slide must cycle smoothly, however.

Joe

Offline dlidster

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 04:59:03 PM »
There's absolutely nothing to worry about.

The primary lateral alignment surfaces are the tops of the slide rails that protrude into the grooves in the frame. The frame rails that protrude into the grooves in the slide hold the slide in the frame. They are not bearing surfaces. That's why the polycoat isn't wearing off.

Shoot the gun a lot. Get familiar with it. It'll be buttery smooth in no time. The remaining polycoat on the top of the rails will disappear. There are tricks for speeding the process, but don't trouble yourself right now.

Offline qboards

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 05:03:42 PM »
Thanks for the advice... Tried working the bare slide and can feel a little bit of scratching/sluggishness when the slide is at that particular spot along the frame. How would I go about smoothing this out myself? Fine grain sandpaper, brilo pad, etc? I've also been told to apply lapping compound and work the slide... Any thoughts anyone?

And I've also shot 600 rounds(and cleaned it several times) since that picture was taken and it hasn't changed yet

Offline Joe L

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 05:28:02 PM »
Should be pretty smooth if you have 600 rounds through it. 

Qboards--take it apart one more time, clean the rails one more time, this time with brake cleaner or a solvent.  Let it dry.  Take a felt tip pin or marks a lot and blacken the rail on the slide and the grooves in the frame.  put the slide back on and cycle it a few times, dry, but with the barrel and recoil spring installed.  Remove and see where the worn spots are and that will indicate the high spots.  Take the high spot down with a fine file or stone if you can get to it.  Go slow, you want to remove as little material as possible.  Blacken with the pen/marker, try it again.  Grease and reassemble and see how it feels. 

If the gun runs OK at the range, I don't think you have a big problem.  Kinda hard to diagnose how it may feel over the internet. 

Joe

Offline mkd

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 05:47:39 PM »
good idea on the felt pen joe! i do the same thing when i sharpen knife blades. i put ink on the blade beveled edge and then adjust my lansky sharpening system so the stone angle sweeps the ink off top to bottom of the bevel.

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 06:40:23 PM »
Buy some valve lapping compound from an auto repair store. Use the fine stuff, put a tiny dab on the high spot after degreasing it. Work smoothly back and forward, check often, repeat as needed.

Or do what I (and many others) do - ignore it and shoot the gun.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 06:48:13 PM »
Or do what I (and many others) do - ignore it and shoot the gun.

what he said, ignore it and shoot the gun. Why make the gun any more lose than it will make itself wearing in?
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?

Offline Winkel

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 10:27:43 PM »
I really don't think you have anything to worry about.  Lube it and shoot it.

Offline K31

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 03:38:06 PM »
Purchased, mine in Dec and have had similar, it has gotten smoother with round count hitting 1,000, also used flitz and dremal to polish,  just noticed  one side of the rail the serrations are cut into the slide rail,, meaning the serrations on the front of the  slide carry down  onto rail, but not on the other side....all part of the charm, bottom line .....these are not 1,500 dollar guns, but they shoot like they are.....

Offline Jake G

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 08:46:16 PM »
Lube it well and shoot it. Some come smoother than others but they will all smoothen up with shooting. if you want to stone and polish something I'd suggest the barrel hood, in particular the serial # stampings which can cause a little grittiness.

anything