Author Topic: Fitting New Firing Pin Block  (Read 1935 times)

Offline odessastraight

Fitting New Firing Pin Block
« on: February 25, 2015, 12:37:50 PM »
I recently purchased a CZ 75 D Compact that's missing the firing pin block.  It shoots and functions great, but the IDPA match rules I shoot require the block be installed and functioning.  I've received the block and spring from CZ Custom, but have encountered difficulty in installation.  It protrudes slightly from the bottom of the slide which locks up the slide and interferes with the thumb safety operation.  Looking at the firing pin block on another CZ 75B I can see that it's recessed and isn't even flush with the bottom of the slide.  The one I'm trying to install is proud of the bottom of the slide by several thousands.
So, do I just dress down the firing pin block to fit it or might there be some other difference I need to consider.  Do new CZ 75B firing pin blocks typically need to be fitted to individual guns?
Thanks

Edit to add.. I have the CZ 75 D mounted on a full sixe CZ 75B frame so that's why it has a thumb safety.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 12:47:00 PM by odessastraight »

Offline copemech

Re: Fitting New Firing Pin Block
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 09:40:04 PM »
I am not exactly sure what you are asking here, as a 75 D should be a decocker is it not? What with the safety?

I think I realize about the thing hanging past the slide, seems strange to me.

I would contact Stuart at CZC and send some pics, as it just sounds odd to me.

Offline odessastraight

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 07:59:09 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  It is a CZ75D upper installed on a full sized CZ 75B frame (a semi-compact).

Without the firing pin safety block installed and just the hole in the slide, for that part,  the slide cycles fine.   The thumb safety also works fine without the firing pin safety block installed.  With the firing pin safety block installed the slide will not cycle and the thumb safety will not move.

The frame has the firing pin safety block lever installed which just rises into the hole without the block installed so no problem at all in operation of the gun without the block.  I need the block installed and it functioning correctly to comply with IDPA competition rules.

Offline ace73

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 10:37:22 PM »
I would go ahead and fit it so it's just below flush.
I think the safety blocks are different for the P07/09, 75's
and the 97......maybe they sent you the wrong one.

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 11:33:36 PM »
Silly question, any mods in the lower? IE: CGW Short Reset? If so you need the lighter FP block spring and extended FP to go with the modified FP block lifter. Just grasping at straws.
    Like said above, I'd give CZC a call and check just to be sure.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 12:04:04 AM »
I would go ahead and fit it so it's just below flush.
I think the safety blocks are different for the P07/09, 75's
and the 97......maybe they sent you the wrong one.

This seams plausible, tough to confirm without a pic. I concur with the above suggestions to call CZC.

Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline odessastraight

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 11:32:41 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  I removed my firing pin safety block from my full size CZ 75B upper and installed it in my CZ 75D Compact upper.  It works like a champ.  It's recessed about the width of a hack saw blade from the bottom of the slide just as it was in the full size slide.

The new firing pin safety block I just bought also sits "proud" and not recessed, or even flush in the full sized slide.  It needs to be dressed down.   The complicating part is that there are two areas that need filing down there is a step on the face of the block.  I'll give it a go with a good needle file.  The worse that can happen is that I'm out 9 0r 10 bucks for a new block.

I did call and the customer service guy didn't know what I was talking about and eventually passed me to a "gunsmith" who said I had the wrong part and to hold on...never came back.  I called back, got a recording, left my number and never heard back.  From reading about CZ parts I think all CZ 75 Bs..(thumb safety or decocker), use the same firing pin safety block and spring.  Just be aware that if you ever install one it needs to be recessed into the bottom of the slide or it will lock up functioning of the slide and thumb safety (if you have one).  Some fitting may be required :)

Offline Tok36

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 04:00:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I removed my firing pin safety block from my full size CZ 75B upper and installed it in my CZ 75D Compact upper.  It works like a champ.  It's recessed about the width of a hack saw blade from the bottom of the slide just as it was in the full size slide.

The new firing pin safety block I just bought also sits "proud" and not recessed, or even flush in the full sized slide.  It needs to be dressed down.   The complicating part is that there are two areas that need filing down there is a step on the face of the block.  I'll give it a go with a good needle file.  The worse that can happen is that I'm out 9 0r 10 bucks for a new block.

I did call and the customer service guy didn't know what I was talking about and eventually passed me to a "gunsmith" who said I had the wrong part and to hold on...never came back.  I called back, got a recording, left my number and never heard back.  From reading about CZ parts I think all CZ 75 Bs..(thumb safety or decocker), use the same firing pin safety block and spring.  Just be aware that if you ever install one it needs to be recessed into the bottom of the slide or it will lock up functioning of the slide and thumb safety (if you have one).  Some fitting may be required :)

Thank you for the follow up. I can confirm that all of the 75 variants have the same FPB plunger (97 is different, not sure about the P series). Please let us know how the fitting goes.

Edit for correction: It seams that there may be a few different FPB plungers for the 75 series (Not 100% on this). All of the FPB plungers i have seen are cylindrical with cutouts and an offset hole at one end for the FPB plunger spring.

They look like this. It seams possible that the 75B is different, i do not have one handy for reference.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 07:20:03 PM by Tok36 »
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline odessastraight

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 04:37:44 PM »
Thanks Tok,
Here's the block in question.  It's for 75Bs right?
https://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/0420140070_Firing-Pin-Block-Stop

Offline copemech

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 11:55:34 PM »
Mine looks like Tok's, not like that pic from CZ.

Offline schmeky

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 08:12:14 AM »
I have run into some FP block plungers that require  fitting.  Easiest one to fit is the "round" version. 

Offline odessastraight

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 01:02:43 PM »
OK then I'll try fitting it to the gun.  If you look at the CZ picture of the block from their parts description, above, you can see the stepped areas (at the top) that need dressing down.  I'll have to take off at least half of that tallest stepped area and about down to the hollow cut-out to make the block short enough to be recessed into the bottom of the slide.  At least the firing pin safety block I cannibalized from my full length CZ 75B works fine with the Compact frame and that's what I'm shooting this Saturday in a match (CCP division IDPA).  So both the round block and the one I'm going to try to fit both are for the 75B guns?  CZUSA could be a little bit clearer in their part description about what block to buy for your particular gun.

anything