Author Topic: Do all cz hammers fall from lower in DA?  (Read 2060 times)

Offline Brian C.

Do all cz hammers fall from lower in DA?
« on: March 01, 2015, 10:24:20 PM »
Just installed CGW parts in my P09. Noticed the DA hammer falls from a lower point than the SA fall. Checked my PCR with only a 15# hammer spring in it and noticed it was similar. Is this how all DA/SA's work? Not saying it's a problem yet as I haven't fired the 09 sine the upgrades, just never noticed it before.

Offline cntrydawwwg

Re: Do all cz hammers fall from lower in DA?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 10:52:12 PM »
What do you mean by lower point? Do you mean the half cock? It shouldn't fall from a lower point. As the DA trigger is pulled, the hammer travels from half cock to full cock then releases.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Stuart

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 11:00:45 PM »
yes they do.
CZ DA releases from the disconnector, SA releases from the sear.
the DA releases in front of the SA release point.
That is why on the safety models it is said it works in SA only, because it only blocks the sear.

Offline schmeky

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 11:02:25 PM »
^^^ Yep ^^^

Offline Brian C.

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 11:03:02 PM »
Not from half cock. I distinctly hear the hammer passing the half cock "click" on both pistols. If I dry fire both in sa and place my weak thump where the hammer rests, then SLOWLY press a DA stroke, the hammer does not come back to the same point on either pistol.

Offline Brian C.

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 11:05:04 PM »
You guys are fast and smart. Love this site. Been lurking for years and love this place for tech info.

Offline Psyop96

Do all cz hammers fall from lower in DA?
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 11:09:22 PM »
Never thought about it before so I had to look. By lower point, I take it to mean the hammer position is not as far back towards the tang. It does appear the DA hammer does not cam back as far as the SA hammer position before falling. Someone who knows more about the internals will come along to provide the technical explanation.

Edit - wow, that was fast. The experts were right there...faster than Jimmy John's!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 11:11:07 PM by Psyop96 »

Offline Brian C.

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 11:10:08 PM »
So would logic dictate that it would be more common to get light strikes in DA rather than sa as the hammer would have more speed/inertia in sa?

Offline Stuart

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 11:17:07 PM »
No, have not seen one being more likely than other.

Offline Brian C.

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 11:29:07 PM »
Hmmm, that's weird.  Seems like a big difference.

Offline Stuart

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 11:52:57 PM »
put this way.. have not seen where a gun will light strike only on DA but not SA.
if it light strikes in DA, it will tend to light strike in SA also.

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 08:58:25 AM »
Well I totally misunderstood the question. Glad the pros were here to answer
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 05:27:28 PM »
put this way.. have not seen where a gun will light strike only on DA but not SA.
if it light strikes in DA, it will tend to light strike in SA also.

Interesting, i have wondered about this as well. Thank you for the info.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Tim_B

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 05:48:37 PM »
For those who are nerdy like me and want a little more detail on how it works here is what I figured out the first time I detail stripped my CZ-75B.  The disconnector is connected (is that an oxymoron?) to the hammer.  The disconnector has two flat surfaces on the front of it that hit up against the rear flat part of the trigger bar.  As you pull the trigger in double action mode the rear flat surface of the trigger bar pushes the disconnector and hammer rearwards.  As the rearward travel continues there are two angled portions on the top each side of the trigger bar just short of the very rear (these are at the rear of each of the two sides of the trigger bar that slide along the inside of the frame and sit on the trigger bar spring.)  These angled portions hit up against corresponding angled portions of the front of the sear cage and this causes the rear of the trigger bar to cam downwards as the trigger is pulled.  Once a certain amount of downward camming motion had been reached then the flat rear part of the trigger bar that was pushing the disconnector and hammer now slips underneath the disconnector releasing the disconnector and hammer to fly forward under the tension of the hammer spring.  Very simple and straightforward operation and the sear does not come into play at all in the double action mode.

Now, in single action mode the slide (or your thumb) cocks the hammer instead of the trigger doing it and as the hammer gets far back enough the sear clicks into place in the hammer hooks to keep it cocked.  In single action mode as you pull the trigger that same flat rear portion of the trigger bar pushes on a little leg of the sear that protrudes down beneath the sear cage causing the sear to rotate out of place and release the hammer.

At least this is what I figured by examining the parts after a detail strip.  If anyone else has better info or if I am wrong then type away.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 07:24:58 PM »
If I remember correctly my S&W revolvers do the same thing.  The hammer travel to the release point in double action is shorter than single action.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?