Author Topic: Magazine Couplers  (Read 2860 times)

Offline pedro66

Magazine Couplers
« on: March 05, 2015, 11:54:33 PM »
Got these in today they seem to work pretty well as they are a CZ accessory

Offline mikec

Re: Magazine Couplers
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 01:34:35 AM »
http://shop.czub.cz/rozperka-spona-zasobniku-evo-3/d-71095/

I assume you got these. 

Any idea why they say there you need 2 pieces (2 ks) to couple 2 magazines?    Looks like a single mag coupler unit. 

Does it use the same plastic as mags?  What are those swirl marks on one pic?  Do they look durable or fragile?

Offline RSR

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 02:20:18 AM »
Mako sells some polymer couplers as well that say two to a mag.  I suppose it's for tactical reasons...

The thing about mag couplers is what do you do w/ your coupled mags after you fire them since they don't fit most pouches and presumably the rest of your mags won't be coupled so that creates some training challenges... 

Offline mikec

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 03:07:23 PM »
I looked at those MAKO couplers, they use metal bolts and are not listed as specifically fitting Evo mags (although they might).

I have couple of HK MP5 couplers, which are rock solid.   

Offline TheLocNar

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 04:58:23 PM »
Just use Velcro and strap them together. ;)

Offline hking

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 05:25:35 PM »
I have a set on the way as well. I think a single coupler is good enough for the 20rd mags, but I might use 2 of them when I get some 30rd mags to clamp.

Offline drglenn

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 02:37:10 PM »
I have a set of these, as well as a pair of both 20 and 30 rnd mags. The fit of using a single coupler on a pair of magazines is so tight, that, unless you are truly in some serious combat situation, one coupler/pair is more than sufficient - especially for range use. Now the issue is, do I make two pairs of 50 rnd mags, or one  60 and one 40? Decisions, decisions!

On an additional note, does anyone who also owns one have a good way of separating them once you join them? As I said, the coupler is a nice tight fit, and until someone makes a good loader solution, the magazines are a lot easier to load separately. Forcing them apart might break the plastic coupler. Short of carrying a flat-blade screwdriver, there must be some way to separate them relatively easily… Suggestions would be appreciated!

Offline RaggedEdge

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 04:41:08 PM »
Use a key and twist it under the lip of the large side.
Also when i first put them together, i found orienting the mags same side up was actually the only way to make them worthwhile using..

Offline drglenn

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 07:44:00 PM »
Use a key and twist it under the lip of the large side.
Also when i first put them together, i found orienting the mags same side up was actually the only way to make them worthwhile using..

Same side up? Does that mean you just slid the "active" one up, and then reversed when done? Why is this any easier than turning them over? And PS: Thanks for the key suggestion. I guess a coin or screwdriver blade will work as well…

Offline Hammerdown3512

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 05:15:18 PM »
Mako sells some polymer couplers as well that say two to a mag.  I suppose it's for tactical reasons...

The thing about mag couplers is what do you do w/ your coupled mags after you fire them since they don't fit most pouches and presumably the rest of your mags won't be coupled so that creates some training challenges...

unless the experience of using coupled mags on the scorpion is vastly different than using coupled mags on the AR-15 platform, then ill pass on these.  couple mags from my experience negatively affect the overall balance of the gun, add a ton of weight and cripple maneuverablity of the weapon.   one big reason i want a evo is the maneuverabilty and ergonomics of it.   not only will i not want to couple mags and mess with the balance of the gun, but when i finally get mine and play with it, like my ARs, i may find that i prefer a 20 over a 30 round mag too.

bottom line, like you said, is the issue with stowing coupled mags.  and IMHO, with some muscle memory training im willing to bet someone with a properly set up pouch could swap mags as fast or perhaps faster than someone with coupled mags.

i had several sets of couplers for my ARs that i gave away to friends / family because honestly, i hated the very concept.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 05:20:14 PM by Hammerdown3512 »

Offline RaggedEdge

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 01:24:33 AM »
I've taken a couple of classes with pistol and AR. What was taught to me is that you want to streamline your manual of arms for speed and effectiveness. Meaning mag changes should be done by your non dominant pistol gripping trigger finger at the ready hand. Now try to change mags with them coupled upside down clipped together the only one way you can. How do you rotate the mags keeping proper orientation of loading without twisting your hand and arm awkwardly. How is that streamlined?

Now couple them side by side and see how much faster you can do it using the same one hand.

Personally I only bought them because I had to justify the shipping for the ambi delete. :o
Really it's more of looking Hollywood cool than actually increasing functionality.
Well IMHO

Offline 007_Bond

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 10:56:14 PM »
Any updated opinions on the mag couplers?

Offline excalibur

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 02:47:20 PM »
I've actually only used 1 clip for the 30 round mag. It holds well and doesn't fall out even when doing drills

Offline 007_Bond

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 04:01:28 PM »
Typically the mags go side by side, not upside down.  Due to the location of the Scorpion Evo ejection port, you don't have to stagger the mags, either.

Two couplers per mag is for durability reasons:  One to anchor the bottoms together and one in the middle-ish to stabilize.  Singles will bend/slide easily.

Tip for installing the couplers:  Remove the baseplate/spring/follower of the mags and work from the bottom up.  Pull from the coupler web between mags.

Mag couplers are ideal for starter mags (mags kept in the gun) in that it gives you a bunch of on-board ammo to deal with problems before you have to resort to pulling reloads from your load carriage (belt, bandoleer, bag, etc.).  Useful for immediate action handling those situations where the democrats/disenfranchised urban youth/looters/zombies don't give you a chance to put on all your fancy nylon hero gear.  2 mags on the gun and 3 reloads are plenty for 100% of the .001% situations you'll encounter.

Not sure if couplers are USPSA PCC legal but I can't run PCC with my braced Scorp Evo pistols anyway.

Thank you. Very helpful info.

So you are saying if I don't have a FORM 1 / SBR or something I can't use the magazine coupler?

Offline akuser47

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 05:40:13 PM »
I have the Cz scorpion couplers on my PGS magazines. I only couple 2 magazine in total. I call that the initial set. After that my mag pouches hold singles. I think its usable compared to a drum or larger magazine. They are same length as I don't flip them I just drop mag and reload it. Not my picture but this is how my clear PGS are set up.