Author Topic: Magazine Couplers  (Read 9919 times)

Offline Destructo6

Re: Magazine Couplers
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 11:51:22 AM »
Not sure if couplers are USPSA PCC legal but I can't run PCC with my braced Scorp Evo pistols anyway
Unfortunately, they are not allowed in PCC.

There is no magazine capacity limit, so doing a magazine splice (Taccom) or extension to yield a >32 rnd magazine is acceptable, though. That's why people are willing to pay big bucks for a +10 or more magazine extension.
Appendix D8--Pistol Caliber Carbine Division
Magazine holder restrictions
No magazine couplers allowed, magazines must be carried on the belt or in apparel pockets. See rule 5.2.4. No restriction on location on the belt. No thigh rigs or tie down magazine holders.
I find it odd that it's acceptable to load/carry in pockets, but thigh rigs are specifically prohibited.

Offline Hemiscorpius lepturus

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 11:01:45 PM »
Please tell me that is a nod to the infamous HK advertisement.

Typically the mags go side by side, not upside down.  Due to the location of the Scorpion Evo ejection port, you don't have to stagger the mags, either.

Offline akuser47

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2017, 11:06:12 PM »
I agree I only use the couplers for my initial magazines. I'm using imgur now so here is a fresh picture with my PGS magaines with cz couplers.

Offline Asmodeus

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2017, 07:06:13 PM »
Typically the mags go side by side, not upside down.  Due to the location of the Scorpion Evo ejection port, you don't have to stagger the mags, either.

Two couplers per mag is for durability reasons:  One to anchor the bottoms together and one in the middle-ish to stabilize.  Singles will bend/slide easily.

Tip for installing the couplers:  Remove the baseplate/spring/follower of the mags and work from the bottom up.  Pull from the coupler web between mags.

Mag couplers are ideal for starter mags (mags kept in the gun) in that it gives you a bunch of on-board ammo to deal with problems before you have to resort to pulling reloads from your load carriage (belt, bandoleer, bag, etc.).  Useful for immediate action handling those situations where the democrats/disenfranchised urban youth/looters/zombies don't give you a chance to put on all your fancy nylon hero gear.  2 mags on the gun and 3 reloads are plenty for 100% of the .001% situations you'll encounter.

Not sure if couplers are USPSA PCC legal but I can't run PCC with my braced Scorp Evo pistols anyway.

^^^^   ^^^^

Everything he said.  ^

Mag couplers by design do 2 things.  Hold two mags together, and SPACE them so they can be inserted into the gun without interfering with each other.  The mag change is reduced to out and over 3" and back in.  It requires the least coordination, and is probably the fastest reload out there.  It is the ideal tactical reload as well if you want to top off anticipating the next exchange.  When exhausted, they don't go back in a pouch, they go on the GROUND.  (Shocking to some I'm sure) 

If you are in a 4th world trash can, or perhaps cruisin' down in Dade county where "flippin' the clip and wettin' up your whole set" is a common place occurrence.  Then you're taping the magazines together, which means they do not have the spacing to be inserted and be in the same orientation.  While it accomplishes the same idea of more initial ammo on board and a reload if no other mags are present...

I've taken a couple of classes with pistol and AR. What was taught to me is that you want to streamline your manual of arms for speed and effectiveness. Meaning mag changes should be done by your non dominant pistol gripping trigger finger at the ready hand. Now try to change mags with them coupled upside down clipped together the only one way you can. How do you rotate the mags keeping proper orientation of loading without twisting your hand and arm awkwardly. How is that streamlined?

Now couple them side by side and see how much faster you can do it using the same one hand.

^ This is why that sucks. 

Some smart people in here.   :)

Offline Asmodeus

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2017, 08:57:46 PM »
A way to fix the spacing the ghetto way, is to put a fired case or stick or some object on the side of the first mag, usually about a 1/3rd of the way up from the bottom, go around the mag and case trapping it with tape.  Lay the next mag against it flushing the bottoms, and it will "V".  Check spacing with it inserted, then go around the mags at the bottom trapping them in that position, and then hit them again in the middle.  It's not pretty but it does the same thing and *BONUS* the rounds are facing the right way so they don't typically fall out during recoil.

Or you could use two objects and get your spacing that way.  I've seen both done and both work. 

Offline 007_Bond

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2017, 03:35:35 AM »
What is USPSA PCC? Is this a competition thing or NFA/legality issue?

Is it ILLEGAL to use magazine couplers on my CZ Scorpion EVO Pistol?

Offline Hemiscorpius lepturus

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2017, 04:54:38 AM »
It is a sport, it just means its against the rules

Offline Thrillbilly

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2017, 09:11:14 AM »
I'll just leave this here..  ;D

Offline Destructo6

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2017, 09:46:02 AM »
What is USPSA PCC? Is this a competition thing or NFA/legality issue?

Is it ILLEGAL to use magazine couplers on my CZ Scorpion EVO Pistol?
USPSA = US Practical Shooting Association. It's a competition sanctioning body, typically run and gun type stuff. USPSA also creates rules for the various divisions, like "Limited" or "Production" so that the equipment used in a particular division is similar. If you've ever heard someone discuss 140mm length pistol mags, that's what they're talking about.

https://www.uspsa.org/

A couple of years ago, USPSA added a division called PCC (Pistol Caliber Carbine) and it has taken off.

It's a lot of fun and putting yourself on a clock can put your skills to the test.

PCC was my excuse to buy a Scorpion.

Offline Sephael

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2017, 02:36:43 PM »

Now I'm just waiting for someone to post two of those coupled together 'just cuz'.

Offline 007_Bond

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2017, 02:38:54 PM »
 ;D

Offline Thrillbilly

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2017, 04:44:28 PM »

Now I'm just waiting for someone to post two of those coupled together 'just cuz'.

Here you go.

Offline Cati

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2017, 10:11:36 AM »
 ;D

anything