Author Topic: never owned a CZ  (Read 3482 times)

Offline paulm667

Re: never owned a CZ
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 07:48:15 PM »
My first handgun was a Beretta 92fs 9mm. As soon as I picked it up, I knew it was right. Recently I started looking for a new 9mm, but compact. I checked out the Beretta Storm (my wife has the full size) and the Springfield XDM. Both felt really good. However, when I picked the CZ P-07, it gave me the same feeling as my Beretta. So, just take your wife to the local (preferably a big one with a lot of inventory) gun shop and let her play touchy feely. See what feels right and that's what to go for. Of course, read the reviews of the ones she likes first.

Good luck. Be safe always
Best way to determine my accuracy is to threaten my family or myself.  Best advice I can give is: DON'T.

Offline chetc

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 09:36:04 PM »
  to add to my list other than i mention when i started this topic, i o have a like new 92fs i purchased 20yrs ago, maybe i should get it out of the safe and have my wife try it, if i recall the trigger was not on par with my 1911's, got to read more on the 92fs about the JB weld mod, not sure what it is and maybe change some springs.

Chet

Offline ocny17

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 01:25:15 AM »
I have the 75B Omega and DA/SA are smooth right out of the box. Very little felt recoil. After replacing some springs from Cajun Gun Works (CGW SPGK1), trigger pull is lighter overall, and shooting DA is more accurate for me. SA is a dream - most accurate pistol I've ever shot at 7-10 yards. I changed the factory sights with CGW fiber optic front and all-black rear, and I'm able to hit my target (20+ yards) more accurately and faster to reacquire. Trigger reach was fine, not long. The rubber grip panels (optional) are unbeatable in terms of comfort & control.

I also have the 2014 (gen2) P-07. DA was gritty, so a little polishing was needed. Smooth DA now. SA is great out of the box. I've been very accurate on the P-07 from day 1. Felt recoil is more than I anticipated, but like the 75B, it fits my hand so well that it's a dream to shoot. (It's my range and home defense gun.) I replaced the small backstrap (factory installed) with the medium and large size ones to see which one felt the best. I also replaced the recoil spring with a CGW 15-lb spring and added grip tape for better control. I might change out the springs on the P-07 like I did on the 75B Omega - it's a great gun now, but I bet it'll be even better.

The only other guns I've handled that felt good in my hands were a 1911 and a Beretta 92FS... but I still like the CZs better overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline terry mc

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 05:26:10 PM »
  to add to my list other than i mention when i started this topic, i o have a like new 92fs i purchased 20yrs ago, maybe i should get it out of the safe and have my wife try it, if i recall the trigger was not on par with my 1911's, got to read more on the 92fs about the JB weld mod, not sure what it is and maybe change some springs.

Chet

I owned a 92 Elite 1 for 16 years, I wound up selling it last year because I don't shoot it any more.
Nice gun loved for years but once I started with the CZ's I found the trigger to be no where near as nice even after a full action job and springs.
Terry Mc
Gloss Blue CZ-97BE-SAO

CZ Scorpion CZ Custom Trigger Pack, Streamlight TLR-1HL Primary Arms MD-ADS

CZ75 Shadow 9mm SAO

Offline chetc

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 10:40:55 PM »
Here is my opinion for you.
There are a lot of good options.
I don't know if the poly guns is what your looking for, or if it is a weight thing.
If it is about weight and you want a full size than the L120 is an excellent choice.
It is cheap and is a good clone of the CZ75, it also has an alloy/aluminum frame so it is very light.
Lighter yet is the Tristar C100 it is a compact version 3.9" instead of 4.7" (this is my daily carry)
If you want more weight but cheap and accurate as well the S120 is the same gun as the L120 with a steel frame.
These clones have parts a available thru Cajun Gun Works and are easy to work in once you learn the basics of the sear cage. The triggers on all CZ's and the clones will blow away most anything else once they have had action work.
Also with these clones I recommend using the CZ rubber grips, it is the most comfortable gun you will ever shoot!

The CZ75 Omega trigger is suppose to smoother out of the box but I don't know if it can be made as nice as the stock CZ75.

If the trigger reach is too much an issue consider a CZ75B SA, it is full time single action and because of that the each is shorter, this is one of my favorite guns.

Same as I said with the clones the real CZ's are easily modded and respond exceedingly well.
All are excellent on accuracy.

CZ has the edge in consistency and quality control.
And last, Canik and Tristar (same manufacturer Canik) are not always sighted well from the factory.

For details on trigger work you can see my thread on customizing a C100 stickied in the clone forum, or Schmeky's (owner cajun gun works) detailed thread on doing the action job in the gunsmithing forum.

Hope this helps feel free to ask questions we all like to help one another here.

Last thing be aware, everyone on here has been subjected to what is known as the CZ acquisition syndrome once you buy one you will start buying more and more. I started with a CZ75B SA in .40 about five years ago, and have bought 7 CZ's or CZ clones total over the last five years they are that good!!

i like the L120, since my wife has small hands is it available in single stack...

Chet

Offline terry mc

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2015, 08:23:53 PM »
No the L120 is a double stack just as the REgular CZ's are.
The flip side is they are very very light, I was surprised when I picked one up the first time how light they are for a full size.
I think you should try to find someone with a CZ with the rubber grips they are pretty narrow at the top.

My wife also has small hands (xxs gloves) and she shoots the full size CZ's and the RAMI exclusively and loves the shape of the grips.
Terry Mc
Gloss Blue CZ-97BE-SAO

CZ75 Shadow 9mm SAO

Offline chetc

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2015, 11:25:47 PM »
No the L120 is a double stack just as the REgular CZ's are.
The flip side is they are very very light, I was surprised when I picked one up the first time how light they are for a full size.
I think you should try to find someone with a CZ with the rubber grips they are pretty narrow at the top.

My wife also has small hands (xxs gloves) and she shoots the full size CZ's and the RAMI exclusively and loves the shape of the grips.

Terry

when you said rubber grips, are you saying aftermarket or the L120 model that comes with rubber grips

Chet

Offline terry mc

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2015, 01:13:38 PM »
No the tristart and Canik's do not come with rubber grips, they come with plastic grips.
But the CZ grips fit the Canik Tristars. I have had 2 different models and was able to fit CZ grips on both.
So what I was referring to is the stock CZ rubber grips for the CZ75. One of the best feeling grips out there.
Terry Mc
Gloss Blue CZ-97BE-SAO

CZ75 Shadow 9mm SAO

Offline TheLocNar

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2015, 02:52:06 PM »
I'd get a 75B, and eventually down the road, a Kadet kit to shoot .22LR with it as well.

Offline mszvetecz

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2015, 09:12:06 PM »
Had to keep my wife from repossessing my customized SP01--so took her to gun show--found a table fully stocked with NIB CZ's--she held them all, full size 75B's, compacts, omega/polymers--even RAMi's--and hands down liked the standard 75B best--but picked a matte stainless due to upswept beavertail, she could feel the difference.  She didn't like the compacts after holding them--and as others have said full size will soak up more of felt recoil--we've been to the range and she's very happy with her choice--she wants new sights though.

Offline chetc

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2015, 10:36:11 PM »
 i was looking at the cz and the clones, i think i am down to the tristar s 120 or the CZ po9 i know the s 120 is a bit heavier, any comments on either actually it like the cz po9 is a few dollars cheaper, but that is not a concern.

Chet
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:04:29 AM by chetc »

Offline TheLocNar

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2015, 11:42:31 PM »
Matte stainless. Good choice. That was also my first CZ ever.

Offline chetc

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2015, 08:50:51 PM »
i went to one of the LGS here in the area, i ask about the Tristar s 120, he told me he does not deal with them, he showed me a EAA Witness 9mm, which is supposed to be a CZ 75 clone also, i did not make any decisions yet, they sort of gave me the idea that the Tristar brand was not up to par with the EAA witness quality. can i take his opinion to the bank, is there some truth to what he is telling me, he wants $550 for the Witness or $480 for the CZ po9 or i can get the Tristar from another local dealer for $379, let me ask for shooters who have been around these guns i mentioned, at 25yds accuracy, would one of those come out on top...... or not   

Chet

Offline terry mc

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2015, 01:22:37 AM »
The witness will not outperform the tristar in my opinion, unless it is an Elite.
The witness elites are very nice, but the regular witness is no better than the turkish clones.
Although I am not a polygun fan, Joe L's abilities speaks volumes about the PO9.
I have had 2 Caniks and both have been good guns. I have modded my C100 and it is an EXCELLENT gun. I have also handled a modded S120 at CZ Custom and it felt exactly as an equally modded CZ75B.

Also modifications for Witnesses are expensive in my opinion. I looked at getting an Elite for a while and may still some day, but the cost of aftermarket parts kept those thoughts at bay. Another factor is grips are different.

Of course these are my opinions and everyone has one, I do tend to do a lot of research to come up with these opinions though.
Terry Mc
Gloss Blue CZ-97BE-SAO

CZ75 Shadow 9mm SAO

Offline terry mc

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2015, 01:32:42 AM »
i went to one of the LGS here in the area, i ask about the Tristar s 120, he told me he does not deal with them, he showed me a EAA Witness 9mm, which is supposed to be a CZ 75 clone

Tristar is not the most reputable distributor, but then again EAA  has the same reputation. The reality is they both distribute guns made by good manufacturers Tanfoglio for EAA and Canik for Tristar or CAI. Each gun store has people they deal with and do not, and of course they want to sell you the guns they have in their display. So I take the things they say with a grain of salt.
Terry Mc
Gloss Blue CZ-97BE-SAO

CZ75 Shadow 9mm SAO

anything